Hacking Can I install SX Core with Atmosphere in 2023?

coderNoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,
After being an GBATEMP antonymous user for a lot of years I finally created an account. :D
I have a question for you. I ordered a clone modchip from AliExpress this week, but I just found out at home a SX CORE kit that
I bought in 2020 and never use it because I have a V1 model and was too lazy to install back then.

My question is: Can I still install the modchip (SX CORE) and use normally with Atmosphere?
Or it is outdated and I should wait for the clone I just bought from AliExpress?

Thank you!

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,
After being an GBATEMP antonymous user for a lot of years I finally created an account. :D
I have a question for you. I ordered a clone modchip from AliExpress this week, but I just found out at home a SX CORE kit that
I bought in 2020 and never use it because I have a V1 model and was too lazy to install back then.

My question is: Can I still install the modchip (SX CORE) and use normally with Atmosphere?
Or it is outdated and I should wait for the clone I just bought from AliExpress?

Thank you!
i would use the clone if i am honest the SX chip is outdated.
Post automatically merged:

and team sx is dead anyways

Reactions: coderNoob

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France

and team sx is dead anyways
SX chips are NOT outdated (only the Custom Firmware SX OS, yes, definitively).

you can reflash it with spacecraft-nx if you want to be able to launch any payload directly, or use SX Gear.
SX Chips are rock solid hardware, HWFLY or RP2040 are definitely NOT superior in any way (except maybe chips that can be plugged directly between the motherboard and the eMMC module).

@coderNoob use your SX Core ! Without a doubt the best solution. I'll suggest you to reflash it with spacecraft-nx 0.7.2 before installing...but this is my point of view !)

Or sell it as it is, I'm sure some people would be happy to buy genuine SX Core, even if it's 4x/5x the price of an HWFLY :moogle:
and wait for your clone...

Last edited by Badablek,

coderNoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all for the replies.

I'm gonna use my SX Core mostly because I'm too exited to wait for the Clone to be delivered. :rofl:

@Badablek Why should I reflash instead of use SX Gear?
Is there a big difference or advantages of reflash it with spacecraft-nx like you said?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

I'm gonna use my SX Core mostly because I'm too exited to wait for the Clone to be delivered. :rofl:

Is there a big difference or advantages of reflash it with spacecraft-nx like you said?
Nothing really except if you own a Oled. Then Spacecraft-NX is a must.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France

1. I really hate hardware which is deliberately limiting its usage. SX Core was programmed to launch SX OS and nothing else. This is pretty lame IMHO.
  2. I hate multiplying steps in boot sequence (the more tools, the more possible bugs), even if it's some tiny bootloader like SX Gear.
  3. the team was so dumb that sysMMC is tattooed with its name. I hate that too.
  4. I don't want to rely on ANYTHING related to Xecuter (except the chip itself)
  5. I hate all DRM, and the one on SX Chip is really bad, lame, stupid. Payload must be signed. Installing a chip to hack something, then have some lock like this, come on team Xecuter, see you in hell !
  6. Any other chip, or dongle, is made to launch a payload.bin, not signed, I consider this as a standard in Switch hacking....but this was not good for Xecuter business.
I hate a lot of things with Xecuter, but its hardware was really nice and useful :wink:
when flashing spacecraft-nx on it, it's just perfect.

But, again, this is my own point of view...If you install SX Core and use it with SX Gear, it will work nicely too B-)

Last edited by Badablek,

coderNoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. I really hate hardware which is deliberately limiting its usage. SX Core was programmed to launch SX OS and nothing else. This is pretty lame IMHO.
  2. I hate multiplying steps in boot sequence (the more tools, the more possible bugs), even if it's some tiny bootloader like SX Gear.
  3. the team was so dumb that sysMMC is tattooed with its name. I hate that too.
  4. I don't want to rely on ANYTHING related to Xecuter (except the chip itself)
  5. I hate all DRM, and the one on SX Chip is really bad, lame, stupid. Payload must be signed. Installing a chip to hack something, then have some lock like this, come on team Xecuter, see you in hell !
  6. Any other chip, or dongle, is made to launch a payload.bin, not signed, I consider this as a standard in Switch hacking....but this was not good for Xecuter business.
I hate a lot of things with Xecuter, but its hardware was really nice and useful :wink:
when flashing spacecraft-nx on it, it's just perfect.

But, again, this is my own point of view...If you install SX Core and use it with SX Gear, it will work nicely too B-)
I totally agreed. It's insane the idea of someone "unlocking" an official DRM (from Nintendo) and not only profit with it but also add their own DRM. f stupid. They're already in hell :rofl2:

captain_obvious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the team was so dumb that sysMMC is tattooed with its name. I hate that too.
What exactly do you mean here? Are you saying there's an SX-OS watermark on the stock system menu if you have SX-OS installed with an SX Core/Lite modchip?
I hate all DRM, and the one on SX Chip is really bad, lame, stupid. Payload must be signed. Installing a chip to hack something, then have some lock like this, come on team Xecuter, see you in hell !
Does this mean that the reason we install custom firmware on the modchips to load Hekate is because the stock firmware will only inject SX-OS?

SX chips are NOT outdated (only the Custom Firmware SX OS, yes, definitively).

you can reflash it with spacecraft-nx if you want to be able to launch any payload directly, or use SX Gear.
SX Chips are rock solid hardware, HWFLY or RP2040 are definitely NOT superior in any way (except maybe chips that can be plugged directly between the motherboard and the eMMC module).
Is there anything superior about the official Team Xecuter modchips? As far as I'm aware the only differences are the price, ease of installation and hardware compatibility.

I have one official Team Xecuter modchip and one HWFLY modchip which I bought before clones of clones flooded the market. If I were to buy another modchip it would be the Picofly because it's the cheapest.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What exactly do you mean here? Are you saying there's an SX-OS watermark on the stock system menu if you have SX-OS installed with an SX Core/Lite modchip?

yep, this is exactly that. I checked my sysMMC dump (Switch Lite with SX Lite, of course), it is watermarked (and I'd like to find a way to remove that sh!t)

Does this mean that the reason we install custom firmware on the modchips to load Hekate is because the stock firmware will only inject SX-OS?

with SX gear, you can load what you want, until it's compatible with it. BUT, if you try to convert hekate (or fusee) to boot.dat with that wonderful python script, you won't be able to load it with an SX modchip because of its stupid DRM (Xecuter added some kind of signature calculated from the keys of the Switch). That's why boot.dat conversions only work with SX dongles. A modchip removing DRM to add new DRM, so dumb !

Is there anything superior about the official Team Xecuter modchips? As far as I'm aware the only differences are the price, ease of installation and hardware compatibility.

I have one official Team Xecuter modchip and one HWFLY modchip which I bought before clones of clones flooded the market. If I were to buy another modchip it would be the Picofly because it's the cheapest.

As far as I remember, the first HFWLY batches were low in quality, with assembly problems, missing components, short-circuits, non upgradable chips. I hate Xecuter for all I said before, but there was no problem at all with their hardware. High quality PCB, great assembly, working straightforward out of the box

Of course, everything is now much stable, since picofly arrived. Probably because it was so easy to buy some noname high quality RP2040 boards, at low price, that modchip manufacturers had to make some efforts. My point of view might be biased because I only installed one SX Lite chip and some trinkets, I didn't touched any V1 → V5 HWFLY chips (I'm gonna have my first experience with HWFLY RP2040 OLED soon), but I read a lot about it.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

true forgot about Spacecraft NX

coderNoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished the installation and everything is working great.
This was my first time installing a mod chip and I can tell that once you have all the proper tools (specially a LCD microscope, flux and thin tip) and patience is not that difficult.
Thank you all for the help.

IMG_0590.jpeg

captain_obvious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished the installation and everything is working great.
This was my first time installing a mod chip and I can tell that once you have all the proper tools (specially a LCD microscope, flux and thin tip) and patience is not that difficult.
Thank you all for the help.

View attachment 388201
Good job. I tried, fucked up, gave up and hired a professional.

• Haha
Reactions: coderNoob and nWo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto