Hacking What should I do before I start SX OS for the 1st time?

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just follow the tutorial and use Hekate until you reach the end. After you have finished following the guide, you can go back to using SX OS. It states it very clearly in the guide in the red text;)

Alright, thanks. it's just that i wanted to use this method that another member has shared/posted as well.. it looks much simpler but with a risk that you might get upgraded to 5.1. so if i were to follow the tutorial for everything, i would just boot up sx os normally with the dongle and rcm?

GOOD NEWS! I can confirm that you can update through system settings here is what you need to do (and after I Can explain how i "safely tested this before doing it"
0.backup nand and boot and store on pc
1. have your sx dongle plugged in, as well as the rcm jig
2. boot up
3. go to system settings and start update
4. This is key watch closely, as soon as the update is done (or just before) hold VOL +
* you don't need to hold power just vol +
5. the system will auto reboot and due to jig and VOL+ it will go into rcm despite not pressing power (cool right)
6. when sx menu comes up reinstall rcm autoboot
7. boot fcfw

You should now have 5.1 or whatever you just updated to with auto rcm protecting you and fuses intact. I compared my fuses using other payload to be sure.

oh so how I figured this out:
I disabled rcm autoboot, and tested to make sure it wasn't there
then while powered up I put the jib and sx pro widget in, and held power button till power menu came up and I clicked restart and immediately held vol+ and the sx menu booted up, basically proving the power button was not necessary and that all that was needed was vol+ (and pin 10 grounded) at start up or even restart. Not only that I tested this with a charger too. YOu know how when you plug in a powered off switch it turns on, so I tried it with jig and plugged into my computer while holding vol + then with tegra rcm smash loaded a payload and it worked (no power button necessary)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing stopping you from installing a .nsp of a game update is there?
Hmm, haven't heard of anyone installing a .NSP of a game update without SX OS but in theory, you don't have to buy game updates so your console doesn't need to verify that you got the update legitimately. That is how it worked on the 3DS after all.
Alright, thanks. it's just that i wanted to use this method that another member has shared/posted as well.. it looks much simpler but with a risk that you might get upgraded to 5.1. so if i were to follow the tutorial for everything, i would just boot up sx os normally with the dongle and rcm?
Since you have the TX jig, your success with following that guide increases exponentially, but it still does carry a small risk of failure. The key to following the guide in the spoiler is that you have to prevent the console from showing the Nintendo logo when it reboots after installing the system update. Failure to do so will burn the fuses.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hmm, haven't heard of anyone installing a .NSP of a game update without SX OS but in theory, you don't have to buy game updates so your console doesn't need to verify that you got the update legitimately. That is how it worked on the 3DS after all.
Since you have the TX jig, your success with following that guide increases exponentially, but it still does carry a small risk of failure. The key to following the guide in the spoiler is that you have to prevent the console from showing the Nintendo logo when it reboots after installing the system update. Failure to do so will burn the fuses.
I'm not sure it would work without SX OS, but OP has SX OS anyway.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure it would work without SX OS, but OP has SX OS anyway.
I don't think updates require a ticket in order to be recognized. DLC and games do because they must be purchased from the eShop so signature patching must be applied to bypass this step. Anyways, unless someone else tries it, its just speculation. I don't want to be anywhere near LayeredFS or DevMenu.

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Alright, maybe I'll give a try later after confirming a few items here so I can do it properly. I know the risk is there but since I have SX Pro, it's really the easier way out for me and I wouldn't mind trying this for additional feedback. Can I just confirm these few items:

1. Currently using 32gb fat32 sd card, can I change it to 200gb exFAT after I updated to 5.1.0 (is it as simple as copying the files over?) But I would also need to update the exFAT card to be compatible with my switch, forcing me to shut down and swap cards. Will boot.dat work with hekate even though I've never formatted the exFAT card with the Nintendo before?

2. Once I have updated to 5.1, do I backup the 5.1 NAND?

3. So with the autoRCM set up after installation of SX OS, am I still able to launch into OFW through sx bootloader or launching into OFW at any point would burn the efuse?

Thanks for helping guys.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, maybe I'll give a try later after confirming a few items here so I can do it properly. I know the risk is there but since I have SX Pro, it's really the easier way out for me and I wouldn't mind trying this for additional feedback. Can I just confirm these few items:

1. Currently using 32gb fat32 sd card, can I change it to 200gb exFAT after I updated to 5.1.0 (is it as simple as copying the files over?) But I would also need to update the exFAT card to be compatible with my switch, forcing me to shut down and swap cards. Will boot.dat work with hekate even though I've never formatted the exFAT card with the Nintendo before?

2. Once I have updated to 5.1, do I backup the 5.1 NAND?

3. So with the autoRCM set up after installation of SX OS, am I still able to launch into OFW through sx bootloader or launching into OFW at any point would burn the efuse?

Thanks for helping guys.
  1. When you are on 5.1 and the system detects an exFAT formatted SD card, it will download the exFAT update. However, this is treated like a system update so doing it officially much like a system update introduces the same risks towards burning fuses; meaning you would need to boot the Switch into RCM after it is done installing the exFAT update but before it can turn back on. The alternative is to use one of the following guides to get the exFAT update offline: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ or https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/
  2. This is where it gets interesting. If you make a backup of the 5.1 NAND, it can be useful for returning to 5.1 without following the whole guide again. If you decide to go back to your original firmware at any point but you are having second thoughts and want to go back to 5.1, you can use that 5.1 dump to update yourself to 5.1 in a flash. The only issue is that it will retain all of the hacking-related stuff you did on 5.1 so if you are worried about a ban, don't restore the 5.1 NAND
  3. Yes, selecting OFW through the SX OS menu is safe to not burn your fuses. Even Hekate has an option for booting into OFW which works the same way as the one in SX OS

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
  1. When you are on 5.1 and the system detects an exFAT formatted SD card, it will download the exFAT update. However, this is treated like a system update so doing it officially much like a system update introduces the same risks towards burning fuses; meaning you would need to boot the Switch into RCM after it is done installing the exFAT update but before it can turn back on. The alternative is to use one of the following guides to get the exFAT update offline: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ or https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/
  2. This is where it gets interesting. If you make a backup of the 5.1 NAND, it can be useful for returning to 5.1 without following the whole guide again. If you decide to go back to your original firmware at any point but you are having second thoughts and want to go back to 5.1, you can use that 5.1 dump to update yourself to 5.1 in a flash. The only issue is that it will retain all of the hacking-related stuff you did on 5.1 so if you are worried about a ban, don't restore the 5.1 NAND
  3. Yes, selecting OFW through the SX OS menu is safe to not burn your fuses. Even Hekate has an option for booting into OFW which works the same way as the one in SX OS

Guys, a bit confused with the SD card, can i launch SX OS without SD card? What would happen if i power on with jig at the rail and sx pro dongle but with no SD card with boot.dat in the switch? And how can i swap it out to configure the exFAT SD card. The purpose of updating to 5.1 the easy way for me was to also update the exFAT sd card. Thus, killing 2 birds with one stone but i'm not so sure about the sequence of works now. Any advice?

RAGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Guys, a bit confused with the SD card, can i launch SX OS without SD card? What would happen if i power on with jig at the rail and sx pro dongle but with no SD card with boot.dat in the switch? And how can i swap it out to configure the exFAT SD card. The purpose of updating to 5.1 the easy way for me was to also update the exFAT sd card. Thus, killing 2 birds with one stone but i'm not so sure about the sequence of works now. Any advice?
W/o sdcard OS SX just wont start with message "Boot.dat?". If you want to officially update to 5.1 with exfat support, you will have to connect your console to internet via wi-fi, install the sdcard in exfat format and confirm the update. Then you can start and use OS SX.

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
W/o sdcard OS SX just wont start with message "Boot.dat?". If you want to officially update to 5.1 with exfat support, you will have to connect your console to internet via wi-fi, install the sdcard in exfat format and confirm the update. Then you can start and use OS SX.

Thanks but if i were to boot to OFW without the efuse burning, can i just remove the SD card and slot in the new SD card?

RAGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Thanks but if i were to boot to OFW without the efuse burning, can i just remove the SD card and slot in the new SD card?
You mean you want to change sdcards without restarting console? Or add exfat support to current firmware that you updated to w/o burning fuses? Or what?

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You mean you want to change sdcards without restarting console? Or add exfat support to current firmware that you updated to w/o burning fuses? Or what?

After my update to 5.1 OFW (without burning eFuse - which i think i can do) can i change SD cards without restarting console and use the SD card for exFAT support immediately? Just worried that as the exFAT sd card is empty, it wouldn't be able to detect the boot.dat and it will start with RCM and boot into OFW thus updating the efuses. Just wanted to know if it's possible to do this sequence. Thanks man

RAGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
After my update to 5.1 OFW (without burning eFuse - which i think i can do) can i change SD cards without restarting console and use the SD card for exFAT support immediately? Just worried that as the exFAT sd card is empty, it wouldn't be able to detect the boot.dat and it will start with RCM and boot into OFW thus updating the efuses. Just wanted to know if it's possible to do this sequence. Thanks man
IF you will follow the guide nicely you will get firmware 5.1 already with exFAT support + activated AutoRCM (briccmii) to prevent normal OFW start to avoid burning fuses.

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
IF you will follow the guide nicely you will get firmware 5.1 already with exFAT support + activated AutoRCM (briccmii) to prevent normal OFW start to avoid burning fuses.

Thanks! Quick last question, i currently have AutoRCM activated but would like to check my eFUSE. Can i just inject briccmmii payload to check? and would anything clash/happen

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so looks like Octopath Traveller requires 5.0.0. I am on 4.1.0. What can be done to allow me to play this? Do I log into OFW and update? Do I update with CFW? I don't want to use the Auto RCM as I've heard it increases ban risks, do I need to use it if I update my FW?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so looks like Octopath Traveller requires 5.0.0. I am on 4.1.0. What can be done to allow me to play this? Do I log into OFW and update? Do I update with CFW? I don't want to use the Auto RCM as I've heard it increases ban risks, do I need to use it if I update my FW?
You would have to update your Switch in order to play the game (first game that needs higher than 4.1 to play it seems). I would recommend following this guide on how to update you can return to 4.1 at any point: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the burning fuses thing?
Basically, there are fuses inside your Switch and every few system updates or so, Nintendo burns one. This way, you cannot simply downgrade by loading a lower firmware because the console compares the number of fuses with the firmware of the console. Read the bottom for more details: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses

Sovikos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Basically, there are fuses inside your Switch and every few system updates or so, Nintendo burns one. This way, you cannot simply downgrade by loading a lower firmware because the console compares the number of fuses with the firmware of the console. Read the bottom for more details: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses
Alright thanks for your help! How many fuses do they have? You think'd they'd run out eventually.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright thanks for your help! How many fuses do they have? You think'd they'd run out eventually.
Supposedly, they have more fuses than they know what to do with so don't count on them running out of fuses to burn. Given the lifespan of consoles and the current rate at which they burn fuses, I'd be surprised if they burnt through all of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not that I will save the money, rather I will just spend it on other crap lol
    lol just do autopay it's as lazy as it gets
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 tell uremum to start charging, then you keep the money
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I charge your wife rent at this point
    +1
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get crackin'
    Well hmm got that Eeros 6+ router working so no need for a new one for now lol
    Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, is it truly discrimination if you dislike everyone equally? like, if i dislike everyone, then am i racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc., or am i just a hater?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All of the above...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You gotta be on Psis level and hate your own people
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i meant everyone, even my own people, and myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh, well thats ok then
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (i don't dislike people, it's just a hypothe- aaaaaand i'm banned aren't i?)
    Good good let your hate flow through you!!!
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Good good let your hate flow through you!!! +1