Hacking Can I still use services like the eShop and Nintendo Online after jailbreaking a Nintendo Switch?

TanMasked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I'm considering jailbreaking my Nintendo Switch. But, I have one question.

Can I still use services like the eShop or Nintendo Online Play even after jailbreaking the console? Or can that cause something like my console getting bricked or my Nintendo account getting banned?

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

Can I still use services like the eShop or Nintendo Online Play even after jailbreaking the console? Or can that cause something like my console getting bricked or my Nintendo account getting banned?
if you follow a good guide, it will most likely suggest you to create an emunand and keep the sysnand clean.

What this means is that your switch will be 2 consoles in 1. One will be the regular, clean one, and one will be the hacked one. The intention here is make the hacked part never interact with the clean part, so you will be safe, if careful enough.

This goes for the modchip method and the softmod method.

Reactions: BigOnYa

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes. You should be able to use eshop and online play. Even after jailbreaking. But you do have to keep in mind of what you can do, and what you can't do. Jailbreaking is like getting a superpower. There are things you can do that are okay, but some stuff may directly conflict with the online service.

As long as you don't do anything dumb like cheat online or install any .nsp files, you should be in the clear. However, if you want more detail on what to do and not to do, there's a very good "guideline" sheet you can follow.

**Ban Risk:** (updated 2021-12-02)

Instant ban:
• Piracy of any sort (**If you're wondering whether something counts, the answer is almost certainly yes.**)
• Homebrew NSPs: See above.
• Changing user icon through homebrew
• Sketchy eShop behavior

Ban-bait (not always an instant ban, but can get you banned/restricted):
• Modding online games, except in some niche circumstances
• Cheating in online games
• Clearing error logs after they've been uploaded to Nintendo (this extends to using both emummc and sysmmc online, due to mismatched logs)

Not a ban, so far:
• Atmosphere, online or offline
• Most homebrew, online or offline
• Custom themes
• Custom sysmodules (sys-ftpd-light, missioncontrol, SysDVR, fizeau, etc.)
• Mods/cheating in offline games
• Overclocking with sys-clk (just don't do it competitively, for all of our sakes)
• emummc

We just don't know enough yet:
• Modifying PRODINFO, or using the experimental PRODINFO dummying included in Atmosphere 0.11.2 and later.
• Using sys-tweak to change game icons (which may be sent to Nintendo)

I should note, if you do plan on modding any game, I would recommend looking into that modding scene. This list is only an "average" look at game modding because each game is kind of their own platform. Some games don't care about mods (like texture mods and such), while games like Splatoon 3 check for any mod you have with some extreme anti-cheat stuff (meaning texture mods are also effected and may cause game-specific-bans.)

Contrary to what people say, I would actually not use emunand. The reason is due to bans that can be caused from emunand itself via the mishandling of its setup.

EDIT: Here's a tutorial you can follow that skips emunand entirely.

Last edited by epicmartin7,
Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

TanMasked

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yes. You should be able to use eshop and online play. Even after jailbreaking. But you do have to keep in mind of what you can do, and what you can't do. Jailbreaking is like getting a superpower. There are things you can do that are okay, but some stuff may directly conflict with the online service.

As long as you don't do anything dumb like cheat online or install any .nsp files, you should be in the clear. However, if you want more detail on what to do and not to do, there's a very good "guideline" sheet you can follow.

I should note, if you do plan on modding any game, I would recommend looking into that modding scene. This list is only an "average" look at game modding because each game is kind of their own platform. Some games don't care about mods (like texture mods and such), while games like Splatoon 3 check for any mod you have with some extreme anti-cheat stuff (meaning texture mods are also effected and may cause game-specific-bans.)

Contrary to what people say, I would actually not use emunand. The reason is due to bans that can be caused from emunand itself via the mishandling of its setup.

EDIT: Here's a tutorial you can follow that skips emunand entirely.
Just checked my serial number through SSNC Checker. And...

My Switch is patched.
Fuck.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As long as someone is only after homebrew and game modding I would suggest skipping the emunand too.
BUT the moment backups/piracy or forwarders come into play, I would suggest to use an offline emunand for those things, since those would obviously lead to a ban.

Reactions: epicmartin7

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there are still 2 ways to "solve"that, maybe 3. Picoboot and hwfly and the maybe goes to the still unreleased mig switch cart (give it sometime to see if it is real and if it is any good).
If the MIG is useful for them fully depends on what their goal is. If its Piracy or their own backups, yeah, it could be useful.
If they are after homebrew, romhacks and co (so the full CFW spectrum) the MIG will not be of any help, even if it does its job well.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
If the MIG is useful for them fully depends on what their goal is. If its Piracy or their own backups, yeah, it could be useful.
If they are after homebrew, romhacks and co (so the full CFW spectrum) the MIG will not be of any help, even if it does its job well.
we really don't know yet, all we know it is what they said about themselves so, not a good source of information.

allegedly it runs XCIs and common sense tells us that injected XCIs might not work, but we still do not know, I would still wait to see if I were the OP anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto