Hacking What should I buy to play DS roms on my 3DS?

sikboy1029

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would you recommend? I had a R4 back when I had my phat DS but haven't kept up on the latest and greatest. I'm looking to buy one now as I see someone has released the full rom for Gauntlet DS. Thanks for your help.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
That's a bit excessive, DS TWOs are certainly not ideal for plain and simple DS ROM loading, they are the most expensive and drain battery faster.

You are recommending a Ferrari for someone who just wants to drive to work.

Any R4 clone that supports your 3DS will work fine.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, it's hard NOT to recommend the DSTWO when it's so awesome and packs so many features. So what if it's a battery drainer? Just remember to eject the cart when the 3DS is off.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSTWO has a long history of not being blocked when others have been, or being blocked but very quickly getting an update. Also, it has a way to update the card even if your 3DS has been updated to a version that blocked it.

You aren't just paying for the card, you're paying for peace of mind that you won't be blocked out from your DS stuff for very long.

The battery draining thing is kind of overblown. Tests have show that it doesn't drain any faster (when using it for DS games, using the DSTWO specific emulators is another ball of wax) than a retail DS cart, the main issue is if you close the lid on the system with the card in, it keeps draining the battery in sleep mode. So don't leave a system in sleep mode with the DSTWO in it, big whoop.

No, it's not the right card for everyone, but if you have to ask what card to get, it's most likely the right card for you.

Reactions: xXdeltaXx

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Every topic about suggestions for a DS flashcard, people automatically suggest DSTWO even when only a basic card is necessary for the needs of the poster.

It's silly really.
Not really true, although it is the best card.
Right now only two cards apply and not all R4i flippity floop crap card like you suggested.
The r4i Gold/DSN 3DS by r4ids.cn is the best card if you want a no nonsense card that just supports all DS games.
If you want all the extras like free cheat, GBA and SNES emulation and other stuff, get a DSTWO.
There have been many topics made about these discussions and these two are the top cards at the moment and will remain so, since the DS is being discontinued and Nintendo will probably stop trying to ban these cards from 3DS when they drop the support.
The R4i Gold 3DS goes for about $9 and the DSTWO $33.
In my opinion the DSTWO is well worth the money, but I'll leave your decision up to you.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and the r4 clone will just end up not being able to be updated on the latest firmware and now you have to go and purchase yet another r4 clone
and $32 is not expensive considering all the tons of features you will get where as the r4 pretty much has nothing, they dont even develop their own firmware

joepassive

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
SNES emulation? Can the DSTWO run 3dfx games? Also what would be a reputable site to purchase from?

i dont know about the 3DFX thing.
but
http://www.3ds-flashcart.com/supercard-dstwo-for-nintendo-3ds-dsi-xl-dsi-v145-p-189.html

very good.

Listen, the DSTWO been around for a long time, if u check r4 sites they did 2014 version. DSTWO never been fully blocked.
even when 99% cartridges got blocked when firmware 5 came out, DSTWO continued to work.
Great team behind it, and the hardware on the cartridge is beautiful.

JakeFe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNES emulation? Can the DSTWO run 3dfx games? Also what would be a reputable site to purchase from?
No, currently the working 3DS carts are the Gateway, R4i Gold Deluxe and MT card. All the other ones work in DS mode opeonly, in other words you will only be able to play DS games on it. But all the working 3ds flashcarts require system 4.1-4.5. So your best bet might be the r4i gold 3ds rts card or dstwo, http://www.thegamerdepot.com/buy-wood-r4i-gold-3ds-card-for-3ds-xl3dsdsids-p-150.html that's what i use and love it so far

elcravo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, currently the working 3DS carts are the Gateway, R4i Gold Deluxe and MT card. All the other ones work in DS mode opeonly, in other words you will only be able to play DS games on it.

Did you even read the thread title? He's obviously looking for a ds mode cart for his 3ds...

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the reason dsTwo is often recommended (and personally I would stick with just that) is because they're VERY fast to push updates for the carts, after official updates come around. Should a person want to stay up to date with current firmware, it's really the only viable solution that's been proven time and time again to be updated quickly. Emulation benefits because of the CPU are a nice added side effect. That's my 2 cents at least.

Also, I'll throw this out there, as it seems relevant: http://gbatemp.net/threads/important-want-to-run-ds-games-and-roms-on-your-3ds.345464/

DarkKnigh_t

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I bought two dstwo cards for me and my girlfriend and we couldnt be happier definitely its worth the money. you dont want to buy a r4 and then be forced to buy a new one cause yours isnt supported anymore and they've decided to launch a new one. what my idea was get a dstwo get a big sdcard and have a huge gba snes ds game collection to play on my 3ds and it will always work cause they are amazing supporting it

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really true, although it is the best card.
Right now only two cards apply and not all R4i flippity floop crap card like you suggested.
The r4i Gold/DSN 3DS by r4ids.cn is the best card if you want a no nonsense card that just supports all DS games.
If you want all the extras like free cheat, GBA and SNES emulation and other stuff, get a DSTWO.
There have been many topics made about these discussions and these two are the top cards at the moment and will remain so, since the DS is being discontinued and Nintendo will probably stop trying to ban these cards from 3DS when they drop the support.
The R4i Gold 3DS goes for about $9 and the DSTWO $33.
In my opinion the DSTWO is well worth the money, but I'll leave your decision up to you.
Where do you get a R4i Gold 3DS for around $9? I've been shopping all over and I haven't seen anything near that price at all.

briman0094

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to recommend the Supercard DSTWO. It's only $40 and it's well worth your money. The longest I've had to wait between a 3DS firmware update and a Supercard firmware update is about 8 hours, and it has a method of updating which doesn't require a second DS. Plus, you can play GBA/SNES/you-name-it ROMs as well. The only downside (which I see mentioned above) is that it does indeed drain your battery faster due to the fact that the card has its own processor/RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)