Should I be using boot9strap or fastboot3DS

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm trying to update my 3DS setups and I have a question. I had boot9strap installed for the longest time, but I'm seeing homebrew like GodMode9 recommending fastboot3DS as well as openAGB firm. Then I looked at the last time Fastboot3DS was updated vs boot9strap and fastboot hasn't been updated since 2019 vs boot9strap being updated last in mid 2022? Should I switch back to B9S?

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recent releases of B9S have focused on stripping it down and improving boot times. Fasboot3DS is still more full featured, and if you want to use oepn_agb_firm is still the way to go. The lack of updates is really due to Fasboot3DS being "complete". Unless someone wants to add features, or create a fork without boot / otp dumping and backup functionality so it boots faster (similar to what B9S 1.4 did), I would guess that Fasboot3DS is just done.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you just want to boot directly into Luma3DS and use Luma3DS's bootloader, B9S
If you want full features and other interesting bits, like being able to boot different homebrew, Fasboot3DS

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Some guide needed Bootrom access, don't remember which, think it's some threeSD thing
As someone who spends way too much time ruining my 3DS, I’ve never run into a situation where my bootrom has ever been needed. That said, I am not sure what your issue is, you can dump your bootrom with fastboot3ds. Still, this issue is so obscure that I can’t imagine the average user ever running into any problems

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty