What kind of stuff do you like seeing during loading screens?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 29, 2017.

?

What kind of stuff you like seeing during loading times?

1. Interactables

26.3%
  2. Game series / developer history facts

15.8%
  3. Game tips

10.5%
  4. Easter Eggs

5.3%
  5. Illustrations and artwork to relevant game

26.3%
  6. Others not listed. (ANY IDEAS?)

15.8%
  1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Over the year, loading screens in games have been a big deal, many games have loading screens, and while we rather just get to the game as soon as possible, is become common to have them. Though some games have these screens with something there rather just a black screen or the words LOADING...

Some have artwork from the game or the various illustrations saved over from the development process, some have facts about the history of the games series or even the publishers history, some have interactive features like being able to control things, some have small easter eggs, or useful tips. But what do you like to see during the loading times you are forced to wait?

2. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Valhalla
    Game tips/Lore + Illustration that you can interact with

Skyrim does this perfectly.

migles and 8BitWonder like this.
  3. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Minigames! Remember Namco doing this back in the day, they event went as far as to get it trademarked.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  4. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    Same here. Always useful, and nice to read.

5. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Exactly this, anything that helps give some random enemies or areas some backstory is great.

6. Magical Sheep

Magical Sheep The Super Stylish Black Cat

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    Personally, I like all of the stuff in the poll. I voted for developer history because that's always interesting to see. Any loading screen with some kind of interactable object or something for me to read will suffice. Because I have ADHD, I get all fidgety during the loading screens. At least on loading screens with nothing on them, control inputs don't do anything. :)

Last edited by Magical Sheep, Jun 29, 2017
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. lordkaos

lordkaos GBAtemp Fan

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    I like loading screens like bayonetta, where you can practice your moves, unfortunately i've got the ps3 version and that's the only part of the game where it runs smoothly.

8. Pineapple_Landsknecht

Pineapple_Landsknecht Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    Something that let's you twittle your thumbs while you wait, like DBZ Budokai 3. Small Things.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    A fraction of a second.

10. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    This post has been removed due to the staff's corruption to money and other people.

Last edited by Vipera, Aug 13, 2017
  11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    One of the conveniences of playing rocksmith: you can just pluck some riff you know by heart during loading times.

In my case, I'm working on the intro of "redemption song". :P

EDIT: sorry... Misread the thread title.
    What I like seeing is trivia. Not the 'tips' that are either obvious or a joy to discover within the game itself, but the stuff that you wouldn't find out otherwise. Be it a few fragments of history of the game world before the game started or even beyond the game aspect. Trivia on the writer, how the game came to be or even bits referring to esports.

EDIT 2: why only a single vote poll? Minigames or practice round would be great as well (provided they don't add to the loading time).

Last edited by Taleweaver, Jun 30, 2017
  12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    this + an optional minigame!

btw, anyone remember the commodore (or other tape systems) loadings?
    they always triggered me because *ho yea, the extra time to load the loading could be useful for load the actual game*

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I forget which but one of the "send in a hardnut to clear a room" games had a little endless darkness arena in which you could practice combos and the like. I would have added a dummy enemy or something but that sort of thing works for me.

On tips then several times when reviewing games now I have learned things that would really have been quite useful to know some time before. That annoyed me when it happened, though not as much as being denied access to some menus because to get there would trigger a cutscene and with it a boss battle.

I have been playing a lot of battlefield 4 lately (hardcore mode is where it is at). I really annoys me that I can't fiddle with my weapons setup (it is not my profile I play on so I try to put the weapons back how I found them) or see the server info (mainly map rotation) when I am watching a load screen or a end of match summary, and quitting/doing a server search is also tricky.

For the most part though something moving so I can tell it has not crashed is all I really seek. It was once remarked that if you ever reached for another computing device when using another (reached for a phone when sitting on a PC sort of thing) then something has gone wrong. I agree but I still have my DS or something so I can spin a round of Tetris or something.

and the obligatory old man comment of "when I were a lad we were happy when loading a game if we got some cool pixel art, and loading took several minutes guaranteed"
    http://www.gamesradar.com/a-celebration-of-c64-loading-screens/

14. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'm extremely familiar with loading screens, seen billions of them (speedrunning does that to one)

Anyway I don't care if they're black or filled with pics, I just want them to go away as fast as possible.

15. Primalus

Primalus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    United States
    I'm particular to moving designs that relate to the game (think of like those mesmerizing gifs that are all over the internet but related to the game).