Hacking What is your reason for hacking your wii?

UKTone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get a job or find a good legal way to make money right now.

If I get a call back from a job, I will no longer hack.

Also if your reason is because of something doing with Nintendo, what did they do? They are the last one to bring their system out and they are doing really good imho now, with metroid trilogy (even has awesome graphics, better than Halo 3 imho), naruto conr having wifi, new super mario bros, and having many more games like super mario galaxy 2 and new zelda game.

Overall do you like, somewhat like, neither like or dislike, somewhat dislike, or dislike Nintendo, and tell why.

I love Nintendo, only wish they would get more konami and square enix games, especially if like Dissidia, ff8, ff7, and ff7 advent children was for wii and ds with wifi would be awesome and Metal Gear (only had twin snakes for gamecube and getting Metal Gear 1 in November for Japan, no date yet for US.)

Please debate on this/these subject(s). Have fun.

P.S. I am trying to get a job, applied and reapplied at uncountable places, I have never had a job yet so it's hard trying to get one with no experience it seems, and Detroit from what I hear on the news is a city with one of the highest unemployment so please don't try to flame me and stuff lol.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii homebrew has made the console far more interesting to me. I like how I can customize things to my liking (themes, channels, etc.) and it's fun having even a small understanding of what actually is going on inside the thing and having more control over the console because of it.

USB loading is also a huge benefit since it runs better than my legit discs. Better loading times, no disc swapping... what's not to like?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hacked mine way back. It was running 2.x when I hacked originally. Moved up to 3.3 via system update (at the time, no one really advised against updating), then downgraded to 3.2. Now its at 4.0.

Anyway, I hacked it for two reasons: Originally, it was for VC/WW piracy. Now, i rarely pirate...only 2 pirated games. Wii Fit+ was pirated to replace a lost Wii Fit disc, and Conduit to try it (I still have yet to try this). Now, its more a convenience, speed, lifespan, and laziness thing. I hate getting up to put discs in, so I got a USB loader. Games load faster off USB too, and DVD drives can't wear out if you don't use them.

When I call my friend, I end up having to wait for him to log onto wifi, because he uses discs. (He has a hacked wii as well, but no USB drive for a loader. Plans to ask for one for Xmas). He's also on his second dvd drive.

I think that's enough from one person
smile.gif

UKTone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ FerirWolf Lol, so you like Nintendo? Do you still buy games/wii shop stuff rather than just getting them by other means?

Having buying the game and really using the usb loader as a backup, or a backup loader so you have an extra copy in case something happens to your original, I wouldn't call that illegal especially since most cds are allowed to have a backup. I think Xbox 360 and PS3 may be the only exceptions since I've read that people somehow get banned from Xbox Live for it and don't think there is a way to play PS3 backups.

Edit: Oh, didn't know wi-fi was faster on usb loader, some don't work for me (Sonic and the black Knight or Bleach versus crusade, and nvr tried it with SSBB, don't feel like waiting for that to copy over to my usb just to see lol), might have been something wrong with his connection, I don't see how that would be faster for usb loading.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well right now I use my Wii for two apps:

MPlayer_CE with the HDD
CFG USB Loader with the HDD

I hack because I can, I love Nintendo that's why I have a Wii and a DSi, the thing is that I don't want to spend so much money on games (or movies and TV series
tongue.gif
) some titles have a great cover but end up being just shovelware, I don't think that something make me stop doing piracy, or hacking, unless of course my PC, DSi and Wii dissapeared
laugh.gif
I really don't think I'm gonna be playing New Super Mario Bros. but I wanted to know why it wasn't working, testing, researching and stuff so I could flame others telling them how dumb they were because of not getting the game to work (just kidding), this are only toys, but it is easy to convert this toys into an expensive addiction that some people call it culture, that's it...!!
smile.gif

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like the ability to do just about anything with my Wii. I initially homebrewed it for homebrew applications and games. When MPlayer DVDLib edition came out I enjoyed the magic of playing movies on the Wii. I got into backup loading as a means of sharing games between myself and my roommates (so we could all play Twilight Princess while away for Christmas break).

Now I regularly watch movies from my USB drive through MPlayerCE, play Rock Band 2 with a massive rotating RawkSD setlist, run all of my games from main menu channels, and maintain a list of classic ROMs for my friends to enjoy. I regularly dabble in Wii theme work and post on GBAtemp.

I do engage in piracy (not going to sugarcoat it - no one is loading "backups", which are illegal anyway, btw). I buy games that I thoroughly enjoy, but I'm able to try many more games that otherwise fall outside my budget.

I don't see Nintendo as some big evil superpower out to get me; I am disappointed in some of the hardware shortcomings and lack of developers for Wii games, so I contribute to the developers I like and help others with homebrew tweaks that will let us overcome the Wii's limitations. Nintendo is probably right in trying to protect their investments from freeloaders like us.

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
Wii homebrew has made the console far more interesting to me. I like how I can customize things to my liking (themes, channels, etc.) and it's fun having even a small understanding of what actually is going on inside the thing and having more control over the console because of it.

USB loading is also a huge benefit since it runs better than my legit discs. Better loading times, no disc swapping... what's not to like?

Same with me.

nagnose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mplayer_CE and to play all of the games i have sitting around in cartridges without having to buy them again (I already paid atleast $50 years ago, why do I have to pay 5-10 more)

Cree8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a Wii that was already hacked so play back ups. My kids are so indecisive so it saves me quite a bit of money. annd I like to play too and the screen shots of the games can be deceiving.

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hacked so I can use emulators for old NES and SNES games. The VC is way overpriced and a total ripoff. 5 bucks for the first SMB??? Honestly, Nintendo should have had that one preloaded on every Wii with how many copies of it they have moved over the years.

Kamina84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back when the twilight hack was still in, i mostly wanted my wii hacked so i can play my import of TvC:CHG. At the time, i thought of the backups and other goodies being a plus. I still do to this day (Even thou i get every now and then.
tongue.gif
); however, i buy what i want to support (Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight (Technicially it's a second Ryuki game. XD), Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes W and TvC:UAS).
biggrin.gif
I guess the the only thing that will make me stop is if Nintendo makes Wii region free, and if we have stuff from the JPN shop channel avalible in the US (Muscle March was fun as heck. I would have loved to actually purchase it).
biggrin.gif

Phazon13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cree8 said:
I bought a Wii that was already hacked so play back ups. My kids are so indecisive so it saves me quite a bit of money. annd I like to play too and the screen shots of the games can be deceiving.

However, if your kids like to play a title you should buy the second game of that franchise to support it. I also dl some game but i never played a dl'd wii game for more than 2 hours. Simply cause I wouldn't bought it in stores. If something very good will be released I'm buying it(like metroid prime trilogy)

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UKTone said:
@ FerirWolf Lol, so you like Nintendo? Do you still buy games/wii shop stuff rather than just getting them by other means?
For the most part my games are legit. I have NSMB Wii and Muramasa installed since I wanted to try both games out. And now that I have, I'm very interested in buying them.

When it comes to emulators or more obscure GCN games (or GCN games I used to have but lost over the years) I don't feel bad putting them on a DVD

DownSince86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started with the Twilight hack way back when. Originally I hacked mine to run NES and SNES emulators so I could play my old games on my TV and replace the aging Dreamcast I had been using up til that point.

These days I keep it hacked for;

1. Emulators which run far better than they ever did on my Dreamcast.
2. USB loading to keep wear and tear off the DVD-ROM.
3. Mplayer so I can watch the large collection of videos I have on my HDTV without fooling with the Media Center (still need it for HD content).
4. NAND emulation for VC and WiiWare games.
5. WiiRadio...I love that piece of homebrew!
6. Custom mIOS...was finally able to give away my old 'Cube because I can run backups on the Wii.
7. The ability to run imported games without a mod-chip.
8. Finally because I love tinkering with my consoles..I've ran homebrew and done hardware modifications for just about every console I've owned going back to the Sega Genesis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1