What is this console and how much is it worth?

Rottweiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently picked up this from a yard sale in Northern America, and I'm wondering what this is, if it's rare, what model/year. It's in decent condition, no cables or games, just a main console with two already-attached controllers.

Rottweiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This forsaken text editor won't allow me to post my image of the console..... there we go

MQlLIEP.jpg

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The guy said he bought it in the 80's in the US, and it does have english hardcoded in the plastic, plus in the stickers. The japanese versions all seem to be in japanese
Actually opening the picture, it's the "Hong Kong" version of the system.
So with that in mind, I looked it up
101_1923.JPG
Which has a slightly different CPU speed
Not quite. As evidenced by the label, it's the rarer Hong Kong variant. As far as I am aware, the only substantial difference is that the stickers on the case are in English. That, and the video signal might be PAL...?
I actually didn't even open the picture because I knew it was a Famicom. I just didn't know there was a Hong Kong version of the system.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked your profile thinking you're younger than me because how could one, especially from the States, not know about a Famicom? But you're apparently older than me, so this is rather surprising. Immediately what comes to mind with Famicom is Spartan X, knowing that was a huge influence on the creator of Dragon Ball, Akira Toriyama.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if the Hong Kong version is at all rare, but a standard Famicom doesn't have a huge financial value because Japan is choc full of them. I'd say don't worry about value, keep it as a nicety for your own collection, and why not play on it, get one of those cheap multigame cartridges from ali express with enough famicom/nes games to keep you busy for life.

Rottweiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked your profile thinking you're younger than me because how could one, especially from the States, not know about a Famicom? But you're apparently older than me, so this is rather surprising. Immediately what comes to mind with Famicom is Spartan X, knowing that was a huge influence on the creator of Dragon Ball, Akira Toriyama.

I'm originally from Sweden, only been here roughly a year. AFAIK we never had these red/white consoles.

Reactions: RustInPeace

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm originally from Sweden, only been here roughly a year. AFAIK we never had these red/white consoles.

To be fair I knew about it through the internet, the AVGN did a review on the Transformers game back in 2009 and that introduced me to this particular console.

Rottweiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More pictures, hopefully with some more specs to give you more insight. Looks like it has a slow/fast switch for both NTSC/PAL output (50hz/60hz?)

22016585_660951667441879_1958424411_n.jpg 21979546_660951674108545_95972619_n.jpg

Rottweiler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Hong Kong was a british colony until 1997 so my guess is they were using british standards, including PAL at the time. So that might be the reason it has this selector switch.
That sounds so strange that it would be found in the United States then

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock