Hardware What is the rarest DS Flashcart?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
These are the flashcarts I own. Of those the rarest ones I got are the DS Linker, DS-Xtreme and maybe the M3 DS Real.

I still have the packaging to 3 of these. Got the complete packaging to the DSXtreme and Acekard 2i and the inner label slip to the plastic thing for the R4. Have the packaging to the Max Media Dock too though I can't be assed to dig that out of somewhere deep in my bedroom. I forgot where I put it but I do recall still having it. :P

I recently acquired the DS Linker and DSTwo.

Of these I think the DS Linker is the oldest cart I have. It's a clone of the N-Card. I used to own that one many years go but sadly sold it. Really wish I didn't. :P

The N-Card and it's clones have surprisingly good game compatibility in the modern age. At least the few I've tried. Even boots modern SDK5 games. The only issue would be save compatibility perhaps and lack of antipiracy patches. That's a far cry from some of the older MicroSD based flashcarts. They have issues booting newer games.

DS-Xtreme's loader...sucks. Everything about that cart is somehow worse of them all. it's nand based cart like the N-card but it's crippled with slower access speeds and terrible game compatiblity. It seems like it could have been a decent card but the FPGA programming is likely it's weakness. The USB side of it can access the nand pretty quick which proves the FPGA is the bottle neck and it's using a ProAsic3 from what I recall which is no sloucher so it's just bad programming I think.

The DS Linker is a different beast. It seems pretty quick. The only weakness being the USB connection speed being rather poor due to GBA slot bottle neck. But aside from that it pretty much kicks the DSX's ass and can sorta keep up with the modern cards.

This is super surprising. The N-Card and it's clones are all the same hardware wise and predate the first R4s. They are some of the first standalone slot1 flashcarts to come about and yet somehow can boot some of the last games made. It's kinda impressive. It seems the FPGA is emulating the card reads. From the RE work me and lifehackerhansol has done so far seems to indicate this card is using emulated B7 card reads. FPGA is likely just setting the offset to zero for the start of the rom to be booted and emulating all the needed card read commands and the loader likely isn't patching the games that much aside from save related stuff perhaps. Ended up making it pretty future proof in the end.

Kinda wish the DSX team just stole the codebase from that. Might have made it the go to nand cart. :P

The only real con to owning a N-Card or one of it's clones is the DLDI support. They used the older 32KB DLDI spec. Don't let the nrio.dldi file that's out there fool you. As far as I can tell the one has never worked. Not on the newer homebrew anyways. I managed to dump the dldi that xmenu autopatches in and that's how I discovered they actually use the older spec for DLDI. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon and us DSi owners can transfer files and such to this cart via GM9i. I already managed to achieve that with DS-Xtreme.

Which reminds me I need to put out a fork of that so others can use it. :P
Very descriptive, and I am very interested in the DS Linker clones. The only ones that I have currently is the Fire Link. I am hoping to find more of these if I ever go to another gaming convention.

Hey, are we posting out collections?I got a bunch of images of mine, I think the lose flash cart collection only misses the two DS X-treme cards and an Acekard 2i I got in the meantime. And a bunch of R4 clones, probably. Making an image of every single boxed card would take a while.

In terms of DS flash cards from what I can see of the desirable cards the iEvolution and iEdge cards seem to be rarely available, I'd love to add one to my collection, but I missed the only one I saw popping up in quite a while recently. DSTWO should be a dime a dozen, they're available often, but people seem to want ridiculous prices for that card. DSONE has nearly the same functionality besides a few emulators running on the cards processor and costs only a fraction of that.

The rarest flash card I own is not for the DS, but a combined Game Gear/Game Boy flash cart from CCL. Off topic for that thread, but that was one of my favorite finds after looking for it for years. My favorite is the Turbo GD 6M RAM adapter for the Famicom. Getting it and getting it to work was a wild ride.
Awesome collection. I need those. :P

Last edited by SylverReZ,

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Rarest flashcart? It has got to be this specific one (second pic is mine):
1698601136327.png
1698601164967.png

It's the typical "R4i-SDHC" card with the wifi and 1.4 sticker on the front BUT it also has "2010.07" written on the bottom.

OK, come to think of it, it's not really that rare, but, c'mon, how often do you see these specific ones?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol my mom said she got it from some shady Spanish store in Los Angeles, this was about 12 years ago. I can't even find any information about it online, ehh maybe my keywords suck :nayps3:
Since it is a DSTTi clone, perhaps try RetroGameFan's Multi-Cart Update. The correct folder in the archive is "DSTTi-Clone YSMenu".

Lordmau5

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man it took me way too long to find a picture of this, but this was one of the very first flash carts I had back then.

It had internal storage iirc and the way you put games onto it was with the included GBA module that had a mini USB connector. You needed both in the DS at the same to be able to put games onto it 😂

That must've been... like a year or 2 after the original DS came out

Attachments

• O1CN01MR0t9U1FWkqgk0kiN_!!208460495.jpg_q50s50.jpg
    O1CN01MR0t9U1FWkqgk0kiN_!!208460495.jpg_q50s50.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Love
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Man it took me way too long to find a picture of this, but this was one of the very first flash carts I had back then.

It had internal storage iirc and the way you put games onto it was with the included GBA module that had a mini USB connector. You needed both in the DS at the same to be able to put games onto it 😂

That must've been... like a year or 2 after the original DS came out
@Lordmau5
The Sunny Flash is a DS Fire Card clone (https://ayasuke.exblog.jp/7491566/). Its made by the same company www.game-menu.com who created Koo Flash. You do not need to use the GBA slot-2 module to add games because just recently, @Apache Thunder has created a version of GodMode9i that supports a dozen of N-Card clones. You can use your hacked DSi/3DS to explore the contents of the flashcard, and add new games onto it. Its also very useful to recover bricked carts too in case a UDISK update goes wrong.

Another tool has been released too called "nrioTool" to dump the hidden SRL sections from the internal NAND flash for research purposes.

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/nrioTool
https://github.com/ApacheThunder/GodMode9Nrio

• Wow
Reactions: ak1nok and Lordmau5

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rarest flashcart? It has got to be this specific one (second pic is mine):
View attachment 401720View attachment 401721
It's the typical "R4i-SDHC" card with the wifi and 1.4 sticker on the front BUT it also has "2010.07" written on the bottom.

OK, come to think of it, it's not really that rare, but, c'mon, how often do you see these specific ones?
They don't seem rare at all. The R4i-SDHC are based off of the same hardware as the DSTTi and are mass produced like the whole supply of metal. Later models sometime iirc around 2012 or later is when they re-designed the hardware.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is my DSTwo+ that I bought in 2016 and I had R4 clone that is already timb-bombed.

Attachments

• IMG_9946.jpeg
    IMG_9946.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • Love
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is my DSTwo+ that I bought in 2016 and I had R4 clone that is already timb-bombed.
A shame that the DSTWO+ is used by scalpers to raise the price for them. :(

• Sad
Reactions: JeepX87

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DSTWO (Used to own the GBATEMP edition being out of print the prices for a working ones is easy $200 or more on ebay the only nice thing about it is the snes/gba emulators
They looked and performed amazingly, I've always wanted one of those.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol