What is the most stupid thing you have heard from someone that they actually believed?

Trophies
XP
That reaction ought to be a clue that someone's poorly founded beliefs are being questioned. If a person is self aware, they will take a moment to consider why they are reacting that way and do some serious personal reevaluation and fact checking instead of ignoring clear signs of cognitive dissonance.

I never said I disagreed with you, nor that I agreed. What I wanted to avoid was an argument with anyone because I'm in one of the worst mental states I've been in my entire life currently.

It's nothing to due with the political views being shared, it's the fact that anytime I stick around long enough for that to happen- I'm pulled into a senseless argument that devolves into nothing but hurling insults without any regard for other people's POV.

With all due respect, please don't assume you know my situation before jumping to the conclusion that my reaction is in disagreement to your politically driven post.

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never said I disagreed with you, nor that I agreed. What I wanted to avoid was an argument with anyone because I'm in one of the worst mental states I've been in my entire life currently.

It's nothing to due with the political views being shared, it's the fact that anytime I stick around long enough for that to happen- I'm pulled into a senseless argument that devolves into nothing but hurling insults without any regard for other people's POV.

With all due respect, please don't assume you know my situation before jumping to the conclusion that my reaction is in disagreement to your politically driven post.
Sad to hear that. Hope your situation improves.

Interesting that you saw my post as political, when it is primarily focused on irrationality and how people rejected science and medicine during a pandemic, and they did so largely along political lines. That's a fact, a description of reality, not a political statement per se. It's the stupidity of rejecting science and medicine that is the main issue here.

Trophies
XP
Sad to hear that. Hope your situation improves. Interesting that you saw my post as political, when it is primarily focused on irrationality and how people rejected science and medicine during a pandemic, along political lines. That's a fact, a description of reality, not a political statement per se.

Thank you- and sorry for labeling. I've just been around here long enough to know that eventually someone is going to reply to that and turn it political, even if that was not your original intention; and from what I've seen? It always ends the same way. People get upset, the option of a civil discussion disappears, nasty things are said, and then the thread gets locked.

I just simply don't want to be involved with that type of behavior. It's stressful, and at the end of the day does everyone part of it more harm than good.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you- and sorry for labeling. I've just been around here long enough to know that eventually someone is going to reply to that and turn it political, even if that was not your original intention; and from what I've seen? It always ends the same way. People get upset, the option of a civil discussion disappears, nasty things are said, and then the thread gets locked.

I just simply don't want to be involved with that type of behavior. It's stressful, and at the end of the day does everyone part of it more harm than good.
Well, you're right that things tend to go that way, which is also very sad. It's a reflection of the radicalization caused by social media algorithms, fear-based politics, corrupt leaders who have subverted norms of truth, decency, rule of law, etc... but of course that is political... which is how we got here. It's nearly impossible to unpack the issue without delving into politics at some level. I'd like to think that a few people will be able to look underneath all of that and see how civil discourse has been corrupted by such toxicity rather than simply flinging poo at each other like trained monkeys.

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
People are pretty dumb. We are mired in stupidity, and surrounded by people who have some pretty ridiculous deeply-held convictions or beliefs.

5G gives you cancer. COVID vaccines are the Mark of the Beast, and they are injecting you with nanites to identify you and put you in a database. Epstein killed himself. The Earth is flat. Every US President is secretly the Anti-Christ. You're "traveling", not "driving" a "means of conveyence", not a "vehicle". The BBC has vehicles that can tell what channel you are watching on your TV that you failed to pay a license for.

People are very stupid. What are some of the mind-bendingly idiotic things you have heard from people who genuinely, actually believed what they were saying?
My grandpa has plenty of dumb things to say. The most notable are

1. Don't lick envelopes because they're all coated in a deadly poison
2. Society as a whole is collapsing and we need guns to protect ourselves when our food supplies are cut off and when gas runs out.
3. Splitting items in the will can lead to family members murdering each other (he believed this so much that he practically threw away the property and everything on it to a neighbor he doesn't even know)

The last one is completely real. He read about such a scenario in a fictional book and decided he didn't want me hunting down and killing my cousins over a memorable picture or book. If you doubt him believing that, you do not know him. The envelope thing is also from a book, and I have no doubt the "collapse" of society was from all his dystopia style books as well.

He has repeated the society collapsing thing for years now. COVID was the last big one where he thought the end was here. He has also thought this for every big event that has happened. Very much the old man who cried wolf.

I've tried to gently convince him that maybe his ideas aren't true, though he rarely listens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO