What is the game you invested the most money in?

tempy_thinker.png

As anybody that even vaguely follows games will know then most computer games cost money. How much money they cost can vary quite dramatically, even from person to person. For the industry is a very important topic as you will want to get the most money for your product, and different people have different "pain points" and understanding those will potentially see you make a lot more money than you otherwise might have.
This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we discuss things to do with game design, aspects of play and other industry concepts. Today is Noctosphere's guest entry in the series.

Counting things like expansions, dlc, virtual currency, monthly payments, etc then what is the game you invested the most in?

Personally, I invested a lot in The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.
In total I invested over 400$ in the sims 4 over the years
I calculated, it's about 10$/month, which I think isn't that bad.

Previously we discussed times where people said gameplay styles would not work for a platform

Also under discussion are times you might have purchased a console for a single game, a large collection or peripherals or upgraded your PC again just for that one game. You might also want to compare it to games other than computer games, the obvious first start for many being collectible card games such as Magic the Gathering, YuGiOh and the Pokemon card game. Similarly have you waited for something to go on sale, hit the second hand market, get released as a gold/game of the year edition or something along those lines? Tiered pricing in games is also sort of on the way out, do you have any thoughts there?

Daniel72

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Frikkin Clash Royale.

I have a problem. Help me :rolleyes:

Edit: That's the only game I payed DLC on, and I don't play it anymore.

Last edited by Daniel72,

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hm very difficult to tell since today 50 of whatever currency has not the same value than 10 years ago.

I think the most expensive game I purchased so far (Im not into MMOs with montly subscriptions) is Witcher 3 + DLC Season pass. That cost me around 120$ back then.
I only spend full price on very very few titles (around 0.001% of all my purchases). My latest purchase is DJMax Respect which set me back (upcoming DLC included) by 100$.

Last edited by GothicIII,

VzUh

you are now reading my custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
the game I guess magic the gathering, like 100 euro over 5 years maybe? pauper ftw
on video game series, probably pokemon ranger for the ds. Bought all three of them, two on sales really so maybe 50-60 euro in total. Plus a ds lite touch screen absolutely destroyed lol

you all are too rich or I am too poor :unsure:

edit: after some digging, it was a little under 50 euro for the three. I'm better than I thougth on finances lol

Last edited by VzUh,

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
NieR: Automata.
180€ + 20€ shipping for the PS4 Black Box Edition. (still sealed)
60€ for the Steam version.
A bunch of figurines, a shirt, a YoRHa necklace and other merchandise.
If they do a Switch version I may just have to buy it again.

Reactions: Cortador

Sp1tFire92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Tcg: yugioh cards some years ago since I played small tournaments in lgs.

Videogames: certainly league of legends, I don't know if I'd call it investing tho since I just bought skins and lot boxes. I did enjoy the game at that time and wanted to support the deva so I put in 500e over one or two years. Not as much as il it sounds since I do have a luxembourgish salary, so while our living costs are high those things with international prices tend to be alot more affordable for us (don't get me wrong, it's still alot of money)

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy XIV Subscribed the game for 4 years to this very day lol
King's Raid for mobile spent about $246 not a whale, just trying to collect all the units to reduce 2 weeks of getting 1 for free

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what a nicely written thread, Noctosphere, I didn't know you could spell :rolleyes:
Lol
World of Warcraft, subscription cost wise
My answer is World of Warcraft too, bought the Battle Chest, whatever expansion(s) it was missing, up to Cataclysm, and several monthly subscriptions. Thankfully I got bored of the game before I spent too much more on it.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a toss-up between WoW and Hearthstone for me. I played WoW from Vanilla through WotLK right before Catalyst was released, but Hearthstone, even though it makes me nearly destroy my phone some games is quickly catching up to that monthly fee I used to pay.

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say Final Fantasy XI. I played for 5 years and bought all of the expansions. The monthly charge I think was $14/mo

The game was a huge time sink so I gave it up and moved to games that I could actually beat.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In the 90's:
Donkey Kong Country ( It cost around 80 dollars brand new on release date in my country! Imagine that in todays money!)
Virtual Racing for Genesis / Mega Drive ( it cost 100 dollars brand new )
2000's:
So much money gone on flashcarts / GBA games and Gamecube games... but
The Legend of Zelda Four Swords for GameCube cost me almost 100 dollars when it came out, took me forever to find at a store.
2010's
Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain Ps4 Colector's Edition 100 Dollars
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Collector's Edition Switch, bought second hand with Guardian Figurine included for 100 Dollars plus DLC 20 Dollars

farmin

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Around $500 AUD on Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

I've bought the game 4 times and it just keeps getting more expensive as the years go on.
1st time - One of the first games I bought when I got a part time job as a teenager, didn't care for it much at the time so I gave it to a friend, would've cost me around $100 AUD.
2nd time - Bought a used copy for around $100 AUD 7 years ago on ebay, lost it moving house.
3rd time - Bought another used copy for $120 AUD 5 years ago from a game store, lent it to a friend who lost it.
4th time - Bought a near mint condition used copy off ebay again last year for $180 AUD, I still have this copy.....*goes and checks game shelf*....yep, still got it!

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Around $500 AUD on Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

I've bought the game 4 times and it just keeps getting more expensive as the years go on.
1st time - One of the first games I bought when I got a part time job as a teenager, didn't care for it much at the time so I gave it to a friend, would've cost me around $100 AUD.
2nd time - Bought a used copy for around $100 AUD 7 years ago on ebay, lost it moving house.
3rd time - Bought another used copy for $120 AUD 5 years ago from a game store, lent it to a friend who lost it.
4th time - Bought a near mint condition used copy off ebay again last year for $180 AUD, I still have this copy.....*goes and checks game shelf*....yep, still got it!
What in the world :wtf:
I didn't know it was that rare in Australia.

I paid like $20 for my copy, North American.

Reactions: farmin

farmin

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.