what is the easiest file type to install ? VPK, a maidump, or the NoNpDRM ?

70045334 Aug 4, 2019.

1. 70045334
    OP

70045334 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    United States
    what do people think is easiest thing to do if looking for vita files ?

I just want to drag files onto an sd card and hit install

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    drop nonpdrm, refresh livearea in vita shell.

3. 70045334
    OP

70045334 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    United States
    sorry I don't understand ?

I don't have a vita. I am going to get one and get some games from the internet for it and want to know what type to get

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    well, nonpdrm is the way to go. if you install pkgj, you can download games directly to the system from sony's servers.

5. 70045334
    OP

70045334 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    United States
    how long would it take to download a game ?

won't sony ban people who do that ?

6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    depends on the size. it can take a while, since the vita's wifi isn't the best.

there's no verification on sony's part, so you can freely download games from their servers. it's been like that with the psp, ps3, ps4, and the vita. major f-up on sony's part.

7. raylgo

raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2007
    I prefer downloading on the pc and transferring files to the vita. Way faster download speeds. But doing it directly on the vita installs directly.

Installing is just refreshing the livearea anyway so not that much of a hassle.

8. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    There's almost no reason to consider using Maidumps anymore.
    NoPayStation and PKGj are superior, although there's a ton of stuff missing from the database's for both.

Ryccardo likes this.
  9. 70045334
    OP

70045334 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    United States
    thanks, I will go with PKGJ. just easier.

10. 70045334
    OP

70045334 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2019
    United States
    any notable games missing from the freeshop ?

11. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    not sure. the game must've beaten bought in order to add to the list, 'cause a license is needed for the work.bin I believe in order to create a zrif.

12. bbking67

bbking67 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2003
    Canada
    the easy answer to your question is .VPK. However that imposes some restrictions... it's the way to go for homebrew and some commercial titles. But it's the best starting point. i found it pretty limiting, but it worked for me for years. So if you have reasonable expectations it might work well for you (some games may not work well or won't activate--ie. they come up as a demo).

As already recommended you should really look at pkgj. It's easy once you have the setup in play and you can download the games, updates and drm easily. It's a little slow to download for me, but it works... it uses NONPDRM.

13. RedL

RedL Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2018
    France
    Use NPS Browser on PC/Mac/Linux to download, then transfer to your Vita through USB. You'll see the difference.

14. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    That's a tricky one to quantify... I know that very few of the digital-only releases from the past 12 months have surfaced on pkgj or nps (titles such as Shakedown Hawaii), and in general DLC is really hit and miss and can dictate which region of the title you end up installing; example - Zen Pinball 2 (has A LOT of DLC), the EUR release has far more of the DLC 'unlocked', whereas the USA release only has a tiny amount of the DLC 'unlocked'... unfortunately, there's a crossover of some pinball table being unlocked for the USA version that aren't available for the EUR version. The situation lead me to having the EUR version with all available unlocked DLC installed on my PSV1000 and the USA version with all available DLC installed on my PSTV... primarily because the South Park tables (which are now delisted) are only available unlocked from the USA region DLC - if they weren't delisted I'd just buy them (again... already bought them for X360). ...and I've tried the SFO edit method to change the region of the DLC but can't get it to work.

15. krasus

krasus Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2017
    Iran
    nonpdrm is the best

16. botik

botik Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2017
    Russia
Quick Reply