Hacking what is the easiest file type to install ? VPK, a maidump, or the NoNpDRM ?

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do people think is easiest thing to do if looking for vita files ?

I just want to drag files onto an sd card and hit install

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, nonpdrm is the way to go. if you install pkgj, you can download games directly to the system from sony's servers.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends on the size. it can take a while, since the vita's wifi isn't the best.

there's no verification on sony's part, so you can freely download games from their servers. it's been like that with the psp, ps3, ps4, and the vita. major f-up on sony's part.

raylgo

Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer downloading on the pc and transferring files to the vita. Way faster download speeds. But doing it directly on the vita installs directly.

Installing is just refreshing the livearea anyway so not that much of a hassle.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's almost no reason to consider using Maidumps anymore.
NoPayStation and PKGj are superior, although there's a ton of stuff missing from the database's for both.

any notable games missing from the freeshop ?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure. the game must've beaten bought in order to add to the list, 'cause a license is needed for the work.bin I believe in order to create a zrif.

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the easy answer to your question is .VPK. However that imposes some restrictions... it's the way to go for homebrew and some commercial titles. But it's the best starting point. i found it pretty limiting, but it worked for me for years. So if you have reasonable expectations it might work well for you (some games may not work well or won't activate--ie. they come up as a demo).

As already recommended you should really look at pkgj. It's easy once you have the setup in play and you can download the games, updates and drm easily. It's a little slow to download for me, but it works... it uses NONPDRM.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
any notable games missing from the freeshop ?
That's a tricky one to quantify... I know that very few of the digital-only releases from the past 12 months have surfaced on pkgj or nps (titles such as Shakedown Hawaii), and in general DLC is really hit and miss and can dictate which region of the title you end up installing; example - Zen Pinball 2 (has A LOT of DLC), the EUR release has far more of the DLC 'unlocked', whereas the USA release only has a tiny amount of the DLC 'unlocked'... unfortunately, there's a crossover of some pinball table being unlocked for the USA version that aren't available for the EUR version. The situation lead me to having the EUR version with all available unlocked DLC installed on my PSV1000 and the USA version with all available DLC installed on my PSTV... primarily because the South Park tables (which are now delisted) are only available unlocked from the USA region DLC - if they weren't delisted I'd just buy them (again... already bought them for X360). ...and I've tried the SFO edit method to change the region of the DLC but can't get it to work.

Griffballchamp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a tricky one to quantify... I know that very few of the digital-only releases from the past 12 months have surfaced on pkgj or nps (titles such as Shakedown Hawaii), and in general DLC is really hit and miss and can dictate which region of the title you end up installing; example - Zen Pinball 2 (has A LOT of DLC), the EUR release has far more of the DLC 'unlocked', whereas the USA release only has a tiny amount of the DLC 'unlocked'... unfortunately, there's a crossover of some pinball table being unlocked for the USA version that aren't available for the EUR version. The situation lead me to having the EUR version with all available unlocked DLC installed on my PSV1000 and the USA version with all available DLC installed on my PSTV... primarily because the South Park tables (which are now delisted) are only available unlocked from the USA region DLC - if they weren't delisted I'd just buy them (again... already bought them for X360). ...and I've tried the SFO edit method to change the region of the DLC but can't get it to work.

There is this. I couldnt get it to work, but it works for a lot of people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaPiracy/comments/df6oo8/i_found_a_dlc_workaround_for_zen_pinball_2/

Reactions: duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is this. I couldnt get it to work, but it works for a lot of people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaPiracy/comments/df6oo8/i_found_a_dlc_workaround_for_zen_pinball_2/
I'll give that a try - however I'll be doing it the opposite as described as I'm running the EU version and really only require the US South Park tables to be unlocked.
Not a major issue if it doesn't work, as I installed the US version on my PSTV just for the South Park tables (although there's definitely some controller lag on the PSTV that doesn't exist playing natively on an actual Vita).

Griffballchamp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give that a try - however I'll be doing it the opposite as described as I'm running the EU version and really only require the US South Park tables to be unlocked.
Not a major issue if it doesn't work, as I installed the US version on my PSTV just for the South Park tables (although there's definitely some controller lag on the PSTV that doesn't exist playing natively on an actual Vita).

Let me know if it worked for you. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

juliosueiras

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's almost no reason to consider using Maidumps anymore.
NoPayStation and PKGj are superior, although there's a ton of stuff missing from the database's for both.

PKGj is the Vita client of NPS, NPS is the database, NPS Browser is the Windows/Mac client, so it uses the same db

I already went through US store, I am going through JPN store, should able to finish by early next year, then will go through ASIA and EU, and do important DLCs at the same time

Reactions: duwen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's certainly better than the first but it's not awesome either.