Hacking What is it that is keeping the Wii from outputing in 720p?!?!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In light of recent events with the Dolphin Wii emulator and its ability to display Wii games in 720P I just wanted some expert input. What is keeping the Wii from displaying in 720p?!?! Is it something related to the Wii hardware or is it something software related in which, most hackers care less to try to fix/add? I know that this might sound like a noob question to some but like I said, I'm just trying to get info and to start a healthy conversation
smile.gif

Milk & Cookies,
Lightning Kid =
happy.gif
=

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe the hardware is capable of it. The actual place where the cable goes in and output comes out probably can't.

Or it could be a limitation set by some of the wii firmware (or whatever passes for the firmware in the system) that keeps output from exceeding a certain res. We know it's not simply because no software takes advantage of it, or homebrew would easily be able to use a resolution like that without any issues.

Dolphin works like any other emulator, the data is processed by the computer and output it rendered through the host machine's hardware. Since all of the wii's 3d hardware is basically emulated on the PC's hardware it can be outputted at any res the PC hardware can do. Just like you can run N64 games at 1080P when their default res is 240i (320x240)

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii's hardware simply cannot support 720p. Thats over twice the pixels of 480p. You can't compare an emulator to the actual system. Emulators support the highest resolution your PC can handle, as the user above said.

@koji: The connections are possible since the Wii has component cables.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, iirc she said she is non binary