Hacking What interface options are available for Acekard 2i?

superflysocal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please help a Acekard newbie out. I use to run r4i but recently just purchased Acekard.

I have it working fine thanks to the posts here, updated to work on dsi.

One thing off that bat i noticed is that there is no intro menu page to select Games vs. Multimedia (movies) like like the r4i.

Are there other options available on Acekard besides AKAIO or AK2 official that has a menu to pick games vs movies? This is for my 5 year old, and i want access to moonshell more accessible.

Thanks

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
[jerk]First of all, did you read any reviews of the AceKard to know that this is card is not for a beginner? If you like the R4, why are you giving a 5yo an AceKard? Did you do any research? If you wanted the AceKard to act like an R4, why didn't you get another R4?[/jerk]

Short answer: No menus. Long answer: There is a way to use Moonshell to be a startup and through Moonshell you can launch games. I think that you need to use Moonshell 2.04 (guessing) because the support for commercial roms have been removed. I don't know the full steps; you'll have to search it out. There might be a thread here that will explain it to you.

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Acekard is not really for little kids, especially since they might mess things up by deleting games on accident, etc.

But since you have an Acekard already, I am pretty sure you can make Moonshell a bit more easily accessible and your micro SD more organized by having Moonshell on the root of the card, Games in a separate folder, and homebrew in another. Your 5 year old will have to press the Moonshl2.nds file to run moonshell, and unfortunately for you, there is no icon to boot it up without running it from the file menu.

If you want a card that is kid friendly, get either an edge or a clone r4 since they are simpler. I don't recommend r4 though.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
XWolf said:
There is the autorun option if you only want him using Moonshell...
But you forgot to mention - If you want to run commercial ROMs through Moonshell - you'll either need to use Xenon++ way (by using moonshells 'Linkage') - or the old way with AKAIO loader, but you're stuck with Moonshell v2.06 [Incidentally - the 'older way' is the way I've been doing it for a while]

Also no cheats are avaliable unless you bypass the AKAIO 'Autorun' (By pressing when loading) and use AKAIO own file selector

EDITED: Oh & if you're interested & want to know how it 'looks' with AKAIO doing the autoboot Moonshell - I did a video for another thread on GBATemp that shows it

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
XWolf said:

Thats true, and if you want him to boot up the acekard that way it will boot directly to moonshell. You can use the AKAIO loader method to run ROMS via moonshell, or the xenon method he suggested.

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:
XWolf said:
But you forgot to mention - If you want to run commercial ROMs through Moonshell - you'll either need to use Xenon++ way (by using moonshells 'Linkage') - or the old way with AKAIO loader, but you're stuck with Moonshell v2.06 [Incidentally - the 'older way' is the way I've been doing it for a while]

I mentioned it
wink.gif

SgtThom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64Temp said:
I used a Supercard SD when I was 7 so flashcarts aren't for just adults. Anyway just rename Moonshell to media an put it in with the ROMs.

I wonder how old are you now.

superflysocal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the video, but i guess i don't see the difference between the two you showed. Also, what are the three icons on the top screen for? I don't have that with my AKAIO standard skin

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
superflysocal said:
thanks for the video, but i guess i don't see the difference between the two you showed. Also, what are the three icons on the top screen for? I don't have that with my AKAIO standard skin

the icons were part of the skin. The video just showed moonshell autobooting, by doing that you can play games and media from teh same media. If you just want the media on the first AKAIO menu like on the R4 (where it says SD card and Slot 2), you could make a shortcut. A Shortcut allows you to put a file on the opening menu. To do that follow these instructions

1) Go on the Moonshl2.nds file
2)Press Y
3) Press X to create the shortcut
4) Profit

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
superflysocal said:
ooops yes I should've made that clear - the video only showed AKAIO booting up & then automatically running Moonshell straight away, from which you can then select either any media (MP3/Video etc) and also run games straight from Moonshell

And the 3 icons on top - yes I'm afraid they're part of the skin and serve no function apart from making it look pretty

Sorry !!!

superflysocal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK cool, problem is I'm using moonshell 2.06 but cannot seem to run ROMS from moonshell. It gives me an error message. I even moved a game to root directory and still error.

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
dorian7890 said:
superflysocal said:
OK cool, problem is I'm using moonshell 2.06 but cannot seem to run ROMS from moonshell. It gives me an error message. I even moved a game to root directory and still error.
guide on how to lauch roms from moonshell
official ak2 firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168077
akaio firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=169344
use moonshell 2.5(i use it and it works), no versions higher than that will work i think
Funny - I'm using 2.06 & that works fine.
IIRC moonlight (the developer) did some change to 2.07 that prevented both 'nds.akaio.nds' and 'nds.ysloader.nds' loaders from working (It's all mentioned in this thread)
Xenon++ has come up with a workaround for newer version of moonshell (but it does require a bit of work) - it's all in the same thread

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
CannonFoddr said:
dorian7890 said:
superflysocal said:
guide on how to lauch roms from moonshell
official ak2 firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168077
akaio firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=169344
use moonshell 2.5(i use it and it works), no versions higher than that will work i think
Funny - I'm using 2.06 & that works fine.
IIRC moonlight (the developer) did some change to 2.07 that prevented both 'nds.akaio.nds' and 'nds.ysloader.nds' loaders from working (It's all mentioned in this thread)
Xenon++ has come up with a workaround for newer version of moonshell (but it does require a bit of work) - it's all in the same thread
well I said I think, good to know there's a work arround though. Thanks for the info

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
superflysocal said:
Is the autorun option the same as described in this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=152...p;#entry2571317
which describes using moonshell as default OS?

if so, i can't get it to work. I get system file missing error.That's normal - You can get moonshell as the main OS ONLY on an Acekard 2 (or 2.1) and RPG IIRC.
On an Acekard 2i - you can't. There's something different in the design of an Ak2i (I think it's something to do with a thing called VID which is required for Flashcards to run on DSi's)

Also I've noticed you posted on the other thread: In fact the OP doesn't really need to alter the first post,since he says
QUOTE**CONFIRMED NOT WORKING** - Acekard 2i, Acekard R.P.G. (Note: Normmatt's Loader is for Acekard 2.1 Only) ---
Solution: YSMENU confirmed to work on Acekard 2i. Check out Blackiris or CannonFoddr 's guide linked below.
But when you look at my guide (which is mentioned later) I have put a warning about the possibility of 'bricking' when using YSMenu

I supose the best thing to do is get a new guide made up that'll show how to do the same thing but with either the 'nds.akaio.nds' loader (for Moonshell 2.06 & below) or
Xenon++ 'ndslink' method when using Moonshell 2.07 and above

superflysocal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, you are right it is my bad. The way it was written I was under the impression that he said it won't work because normatt loader doesn't work on ak 2i. But Normatt later released a version that does, so I thought OP post was outdated, but you are right, it still won't work with ak 2i, as you have pointed out.

i guess autorun is not so bad.

fairuza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how come there is such a fuss/demand to run a nds rom from moonshell when it is so easy to get out of moonshell and back to akaio to run the rom? i understand for children, but everyone else? i feel like i am not understanding something here maybe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: