What interface options are available for Acekard 2i?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by superflysocal, Jan 31, 2010.

1. superflysocal
    OP

Newcomer superflysocal Member

United States
    Please help a Acekard newbie out. I use to run r4i but recently just purchased Acekard.

I have it working fine thanks to the posts here, updated to work on dsi.

One thing off that bat i noticed is that there is no intro menu page to select Games vs. Multimedia (movies) like like the r4i.

Are there other options available on Acekard besides AKAIO or AK2 official that has a menu to pick games vs movies? This is for my 5 year old, and i want access to moonshell more accessible.

Thanks

2. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    [jerk]First of all, did you read any reviews of the AceKard to know that this is card is not for a beginner? If you like the R4, why are you giving a 5yo an AceKard? Did you do any research? If you wanted the AceKard to act like an R4, why didn't you get another R4?[/jerk]

Short answer: No menus. Long answer: There is a way to use Moonshell to be a startup and through Moonshell you can launch games. I think that you need to use Moonshell 2.04 (guessing) because the support for commercial roms have been removed. I don't know the full steps; you'll have to search it out. There might be a thread here that will explain it to you.

3. bach3609

Member bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Acekard is not really for little kids, especially since they might mess things up by deleting games on accident, etc.

But since you have an Acekard already, I am pretty sure you can make Moonshell a bit more easily accessible and your micro SD more organized by having Moonshell on the root of the card, Games in a separate folder, and homebrew in another. Your 5 year old will have to press the Moonshl2.nds file to run moonshell, and unfortunately for you, there is no icon to boot it up without running it from the file menu.

If you want a card that is kid friendly, get either an edge or a clone r4 since they are simpler. I don't recommend r4 though.

4. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    There is the autorun option if you only want him using Moonshell...

5. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    I used a Supercard SD when I was 7 so flashcarts aren't for just adults. Anyway just rename Moonshell to media an put it in with the ROMs.

6. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    But you forgot to mention - If you want to run commercial ROMs through Moonshell - you'll either need to use Xenon++ way (by using moonshells 'Linkage') - or the old way with AKAIO loader, but you're stuck with Moonshell v2.06 [Incidentally - the 'older way' is the way I've been doing it for a while]

Also no cheats are avaliable unless you bypass the AKAIO 'Autorun' (By pressing when loading) and use AKAIO own file selector

EDITED: Oh & if you're interested & want to know how it 'looks' with AKAIO doing the autoboot Moonshell - I did a video for another thread on GBATemp that shows it

7. bach3609

Member bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Thats true, and if you want him to boot up the acekard that way it will boot directly to moonshell. You can use the AKAIO loader method to run ROMS via moonshell, or the xenon method he suggested.

8. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I mentioned it [​IMG]

9. SgtThom

Member SgtThom GBAtemp Regular

United States

I wonder how old are you now.

10. superflysocal
    OP

United States
    thanks for the video, but i guess i don't see the difference between the two you showed. Also, what are the three icons on the top screen for? I don't have that with my AKAIO standard skin

11. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    the icons were part of the skin. The video just showed moonshell autobooting, by doing that you can play games and media from teh same media. If you just want the media on the first AKAIO menu like on the R4 (where it says SD card and Slot 2), you could make a shortcut. A Shortcut allows you to put a file on the opening menu. To do that follow these instructions

1) Go on the Moonshl2.nds file
    2)Press Y
    3) Press X to create the shortcut
    4) Profit

12. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    ooops yes I should've made that clear - the video only showed AKAIO booting up & then automatically running Moonshell straight away, from which you can then select either any media (MP3/Video etc) and also run games straight from Moonshell

And the 3 icons on top - yes I'm afraid they're part of the skin and serve no function apart from making it look pretty

Sorry !!!

13. superflysocal
    OP

United States
    OK cool, problem is I'm using moonshell 2.06 but cannot seem to run ROMS from moonshell. It gives me an error message. I even moved a game to root directory and still error.

14. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    guide on how to lauch roms from moonshell
    official ak2 firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168077
    akaio firmware: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=169344
    use moonshell 2.5(i use it and it works), no versions higher than that will work i think

15. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Funny - I'm using 2.06 & that works fine.
    IIRC moonlight (the developer) did some change to 2.07 that prevented both 'nds.akaio.nds' and 'nds.ysloader.nds' loaders from working (It's all mentioned in this thread)
    Xenon++ has come up with a workaround for newer version of moonshell (but it does require a bit of work) - it's all in the same thread

16. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    well I said I think, good to know there's a work arround though. Thanks for the info

17. superflysocal
    OP

United States
  18. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    But when you look at my guide (which is mentioned later) I have put a warning about the possibility of 'bricking' when using YSMenu

I supose the best thing to do is get a new guide made up that'll show how to do the same thing but with either the 'nds.akaio.nds' loader (for Moonshell 2.06 & below) or
    Xenon++ 'ndslink' method when using Moonshell 2.07 and above

19. superflysocal
    OP

United States
    sorry, you are right it is my bad. The way it was written I was under the impression that he said it won't work because normatt loader doesn't work on ak 2i. But Normatt later released a version that does, so I thought OP post was outdated, but you are right, it still won't work with ak 2i, as you have pointed out.

i guess autorun is not so bad.

20. fairuza

Newcomer fairuza Member

United States
    how come there is such a fuss/demand to run a nds rom from moonshell when it is so easy to get out of moonshell and back to akaio to run the rom? i understand for children, but everyone else? i feel like i am not understanding something here maybe.