What if lettuce became the most scarce vegetable in the world and McDonald's was the only source?

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if lettuce was almost extinct and the only place that had it was McDonald's ? Do you think they would plant more or keep it for themselves and make a huge profit

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a story told of mcdonalds and celery. Celery for those not familiar is something of a flavour enhancer. Their test kitchen produced something very tasty using it. However the story goes that they would need the world's entire supply and then some to distribute it in enough quantities for their "restaurants".
Something similar would likely have happened here and if they had a supply locked down (and somehow the seed banks around the world fell short, see https://www.seedvault.no/ for the Svalbard Seed vault, legacy stuff was also not an option) they could probably make more selling it on than just adding it to their cheap burgers as basically a throwaway ingredient.

For myself. Lettuce (iceberg especially but cos, lamb's, Chinese and more are not much better) is basically a filler vegetable that is water with an almost tasteless* wrapper that I eat on very very rare occasion, though it is not like I have to choke it down as and when. Far more interesting vegetables exist.

*I did actually try a lettuce leaf in my dehydrator as one of the many things. Makes it a somewhat concentrated taste of lettuce actually.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FAST6191 It was with celery root. But yes you are completely correct that there wouldn't be enough celery root in the entire world to sustain their "restaurants". Romaine lettuce ftw.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This leads to the old question, "Where's the Beef?" Every time I order a burger, I get tons of lettuce, overly sliced tomatoes. tons of pickles [n I hate pickles] and onions, all swimming in whatever sauce they put on it. But where tf is the beef? So your question is very valid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1