Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hah! now you guys can all argue and be mad at each other for no reason. some people need to grow up and learn how to not get pissed off because somone doesn't like what they do.

Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hah! now you guys can all argue and be mad at each other for no reason. some people need to grow up and learn how to not get pissed off because somone doesn't like what they do.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Look, it all depends on what you want to do with your PC... Macs are great for some people, Windows is good enough for most... But I do agree that it would be nice if Macs ran on normal (as in used by the majority) hardware...

- Sam

Edit: Typos

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What I think Osaka should do:
GTFO and Stay Out.

Just kiddin'
biggrin.gif

Mac and Windows are both good OS with me.
You can run Windows on Mac; you can run Mac on Windows.

Do a bit of Googling
wink.gif

Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What I think Osaka should do:
GTFO and Stay Out.

Just kiddin'
biggrin.gif

Mac and Windows are both good OS with me.
You can run Windows on Mac; you can run Mac on Windows.

Do a bit of Googling
wink.gif

I said without emulating it.

Not to be smart-ass, but don't you "emulate" any OS on a computer?

"My new PC emulates Windows XP."

huh.gif

Edit - I'm sure you'd be able to find an SD converter for whatever type memory card you're using, BTW.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Um actually Apples are good computers. I don't own one though.

that has nothing to do with what I said...

and its not true. at first I used apple computers for the longest time and I got sooo many stupid frowny macs its not even funny(thats how it tells you there is a problem, a little frowny mac at bootup). anyone who tells you windows messes up more then apples dont know what they are talking about.
then I found out that windows could actually play good games and I got a windows. and it came with windows ME! and i still thought it ran better... yep, I though windows ME ran better then macs >.>;

Actually they do, reason being that when you buy an Apple, you are buying an Apple. When you buy a PC, you are getting a mixture of products from various sources. What they are referring to with windows being buggy, is not the actual O/S, it is more the hardware involved causing the O/S to malfunction. So 'El Cheapo Gordido' pc is going to crash and blue screen and give you hell, whereas... Apple Macintosh G5... is just that. It is an in-house 1 single manufacturer unit which will operate the same as the guy's G5 same model # and series in the UK. They are the same system. So then Apple engineers one o/s to work with their stuff and it just works. That's at least how it is suppose to be.

And contrary to this post, yes I have worked with macs that freeze like a b**tch and it is annoying as hell. But I would assume that lately none of them exhibit this problem because they're mostly intels now and they got beyond those hurdles.

Well you know all OS/X is, is another Unix clone with a GUI. Think of it somewhat as Redhat running Gnome or KDE. If you open a terminal, generally BASH will show up and you can pretty much use the common linux commands in it.

Now the thing for me is, I like PCs because I know what parts are good that go together and are fully compatable with the microsoft operating systems. So I put it all together and have minimal problems. There are a lot of people who scheme and shortcut on cost and stuff and I really don't understand how/why they do this because my parts I look for the best prices and the good product and I throw a machine together right away. I have been using asus, corsair, maxtor, wd, nvidia, intel...all good stuff but when you go in and drop a few grand on a mac, you are always getting intel or powerpc and you are always getting the same drives, same video chips, same o/s designed to operate with the video chips (generally ATI in this case), and on and on.. I think it is a better way to do things, but the main problem everyone has with Mac is that it costs a few hundred or so $ more than a windows compatable PC (well macs run windows too but that's another thing).

Would Apple ever release mac os/x to work on a PC? probably not. reason being, that it does cost a lot more R&D to develop software that can run over various processor types, chipsets, motherboards, etc etc. it is cheaper and more stable for them to have it all for Apple hardware and leave it at that.

You can also relate this to video games too. It takes less R&D to develop a title for a playstation than a PC because everyone has the same playstation..you just go to the store and buy your Tomba 2 disc and pop it in and play. No problems. Of course they do eventually put some R&D into patching a few games here and there but is rare, in the older console cases at least. There are also some Xbox360 titles that do not get updates because the company knows that the R&D isn't worth their money and they just drop it. There's also a lot of 360 titles that do get constant updates but it all just depends on the structure of the software development plan. If it was not in the plan, then they're likely not going to develop fixes unless there is a major problem (such as media attention to Hot Coffee for example which I know that is not a 360 title but stuff like that eventually gets patched because there's too much negative media attention surrounding it). Also Nintendo has fixed rare bugs/glitches because they figured people would eventually find them and they wanted to correct it before too many people try to return their games. It's actually cheaper for Nintendo to patch and re-release a revision 1.1 of a cartridge rather than recall every revision 1.0 and exchange for 1.1 or refund all.

acky

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's called OSx86. You can install it on a PC but you need the right hardware, and it's pretty specific. Even if you can get it installed and running, you might have a hard time getting your NIC or sound to work.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah but the OP is talking about having it available for any pc, not just specific hardware. That OSx86 can be a pain depending on what configuration you have. Also it doesn't like SSE2 processors for a lot of applications.

Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been using Macs since they were introduced (well, since 1985, but close enough) and I've been using Windows since the first version. I've used every version of both Mac and Windows' operating system except for Leopard and Vista, and I'm looking very much forward to using them both when I have a little more cash to throw around. They are both fine. I'm not a fanboy for either "side", I have uses for both. Linux is on the back burner right now, but I look forward to being a little more proficient at that too.

Apple tried licensing their OS back in the 90's and it hurt the company financially. I'm glad they stopped, it was the right thing to do. Apple is trying to compete in a market dominated by Windows boxes. They do it by making exceptional hardware that is easy to use, and stocking it with exceptional software that is easy to use. If you want an entry level Mac, I'm sure you can pick up a Mac Mini for $400 or less if you look around (I got mine for $250.)

With all due respect, if you want to make an argument against Apple, or Microsoft, or Sony... "they're stupid crap" isn't really the way to go about it. I use a Mac because I like the way they work, I get a lot done quickly. I use a PC because I like to tinker with 'em. Sure, they're frustrating at times, but ultimately they're fun, like a puzzle, and you can make anything you want with 'em, which is cool.

@amptor: Nice post!

Oh, and I hope this post made some sense.. my kids are running around like chickens sans heads, and it's a little hard to concentrate.
tongue.gif

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Macs can do almost every thing a windows can do, and cost more. A dell compy, wil be around 600, desktop. Includes a box thingy and monitor. The old imac G5, around 1100 dollars, will include only the compy and a keyboard+mouse. Built into the computer though, if you do account for everything, is cheaper than that dell computer, even if it is more expensive. Think of it like buying candy. 1 dollar for a bar with 1 oz, or 5 dollars for 10oz.

Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Osaka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

ramza__x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just wishful thinking about apple will make an OS that will support various hardware

as they are only 5% - 6.5% of pc market out there...
still young

on the other hand, windows is their bigger brother

supporting more hardwares and drivers.... and worms
coz windows takes a bigger challenge

apple new version of their os (Leopard) is getting there...
supporting some windows apps... as mentioned in their press

next verion after Leopard... will support more windows apps....
after that....
will be more windows alike
next version after that will finally be windows

sadly the pussy cat is sneaking up!

Switchy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
By the way, Apple earns from their hardware and hardly from their software.
Have you ever noticed that they aren't so uptight about copy-protecting their OS?
Yeah, you can just copy it (it doesn't even need a key!), they're just confident like that
laugh.gif

I'm not going to get myself into this discussion.
If you think their computers suck because they're expensive, well, just stick to your computer then. I, for one, like getting everything in one package and like they say.. "It just works."

It used to be a bit annoying in the past yes, because when they got stuck, they really got stuck. But all that is gone now, really.

I love my Mac, I wouldn't trade it for the most expensive, coolest-looking PC in the world!

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macs are pretty cool they're just not for me. I find windows has more of the programs I use and it can play games (yes so can mac but you have to switch operating systems)

I don't have enough money for a MAC because I'm saving for university so a PC does everything I want just fine. I wouldn't mind a mac if someone gave me one for free
wink2.gif

btw: switchy vista doesn't need a key either
ohmy.gif
I think they may be learning some from apple

Switchy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
QUOTE said:
even though it is true, its still the reason why I wouldnt like a mac. And I dont see why people would want something the costs more and lets you do WAY less.

QUOTEim sorry, but im not here to argue whether or not macs can do as much as pcs

I just want to add.. WHY oh WHY can we not choose to use Macs?
I mean honestly, in 90% of the cases where I tell people that I use a Mac, I have to start defending why I would ever want to use it.
To each their own!
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Walk into the light +1