Hacking What happened to Wii U Key?

mashiro21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i try. :D

sure we have the browser exploit, that went public. we have chadderz' and bean's kernel exploit, public? nope. we have f0f, public? nope.

i understand that it's for the exploit's safety, so that nintendo can't patch it before it's even released. but the whole "no it's not for piracy" is kind of getting out of hand. it kind of seems that they just wanna say we have an exploit but you will never get your hands on it. i've read the hacking discussion page per page ever since it started. 59 pages, we get a kernel exploit, everyone wants it, no one wants it released. i don't hate the scene though. i know they're doing the best they can. i just don't think that it's right to keep everything to themselves when people want to work on it.

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i try. :D

sure we have the browser exploit, that went public. we have chadderz' and bean's kernel exploit, public? nope. we have f0f, public? nope.

i understand that it's for the exploit's safety, so that nintendo can't patch it before it's even released. but the whole "no it's not for piracy" is kind of getting out of hand. it kind of seems that they just wanna say we have an exploit but you will never get your hands on it. i've read the hacking discussion page per page ever since it started. 59 pages, we get a kernel exploit, everyone wants it, no one wants it released. i don't hate the scene though. i know they're doing the best they can. i just don't think that it's right to keep everything to themselves when people want to work on it.

There are other methods being worked on now, many developers are on board the Wii U now, the web exploit is pretty limited and need a kernel exploit. More exploits will be found and worked on, so we shouldn't hold our breath for long.

mashiro21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yup. it' so limited that there's really nothing too much to do with it unless your on a real advanced level of coding and stuff. we have kernel exploits, but as i said, no one wants to share. and i guess i kind of understand, seeing as people are stupid sometimes. they hear an exploit and they go crazy shouting about it everywhere. i won't be surprised if another guy comes around, finds an exploit, and keeps it to himself. the people who found kernel exploits aren't even working on anything (i think) for the wii u. which is why i applaud the people who are only using the browser exploit to go around. i'd buy them a beer if we'd ever meet.

and because the kernel exploit will never be in the wild, i updated, just like you. i have seen the arguments made about updating or not in your thread, and well, everyone has a point. the softmod (or whatever will come for the wii u) won't be with us until someone comes out who wants to share, so until then, i'll go online with my mario kart

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boy its sad because ever since GeoHot the scene is a murky place. How wack is it that U can setup a company in some teritories and create and sell what are essentially 'pirating' devices like GW, MT, or numerous ODE products. The major manufactures have to tolerate it because they have little ability to enforce 'Western' laws in these locations. Hell after $ony went after Geo, things were sort of locked back down and bam TrueBlue comes out and for more than a year that was the only way to play most new games on 3.55. Who knows how much the TB team made but $ony never did shit.

What is evident is the majors are far more disturbed by free, open source, softmods or CFWs. Which makes perfect business sense for these companies. It is hard to fault the open 'hackers' at all as they are not driven by piracy or profit. They are usually driven by curiosiy, challenge and basically its in their nature to digest and understand systems. So many of the highly talented are still doing stuff, just not sharing and who can blame them when sharing could have legal ramifications.

I am just thankful for anything we get as all of it fricking great and generally enhances these devices and the expeience.

Put me in the camp that believes the WiiU is not going to see a softmod anytime soon. We will likely get ODE and it will run its course before we see a full kernel hack. By years end WiiU will likely be @10mil+ as the fall/holiday lineup is going to drive sales. The market should be there for ODE so I think we will see it soon. If it is firmproof then I will buy one and if a full kernel hack is released the day after I would still be thrilled!

Wildblood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OMG PEOPLE Its WiiKeyU not wiiukey XDDDDD

We are the People's Front of Judea!

But in all seriousness - we can speculate all we want, but unless someone has inside intel, there's really nothing to know. They don't provide any news on their site - God only knows how they collect pre-orders without inspiring confidence by providing any news/proof.

Reactions: elmoemo

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup. it' so limited that there's really nothing too much to do with it unless your on a real advanced level of coding and stuff. we have kernel exploits, but as i said, no one wants to share. and i guess i kind of understand, seeing as people are stupid sometimes. they hear an exploit and they go crazy shouting about it everywhere. i won't be surprised if another guy comes around, finds an exploit, and keeps it to himself. the people who found kernel exploits aren't even working on anything (i think) for the wii u. which is why i applaud the people who are only using the browser exploit to go around. i'd buy them a beer if we'd ever meet.

and because the kernel exploit will never be in the wild, i updated, just like you. i have seen the arguments made about updating or not in your thread, and well, everyone has a point. the softmod (or whatever will come for the wii u) won't be with us until someone comes out who wants to share, so until then, i'll go online with my mario kart

Collectively, we (as in, all groups looking into the Wii U) have several kernel exploits. Implementing them is what's been taking so much time since it's a busy time of the year. After someone finishes their exploit and tests it, we'll find another browser exploit (or a new way to launch the old one, wink wink) and everything will work on the newest version.

Put me in the camp that believes the WiiU is not going to see a softmod anytime soon. We will likely get ODE and it will run its course before we see a full kernel hack.

The Wii U more than likely needs to be softmodded to gain drive keys for an ODE. Unless they found a bug in the drive itself like they did with the PS3, Cobra's (or whoever else's, i don't pay attention) ODE will require a softmod to work on a given console.
I imagine they'll try to thoroughly obfuscate whatever softmod they do to obtain keys, though. It'll be interesting to see.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii U more than likely needs to be softmodded to gain drive keys for an ODE. Unless they found a bug in the drive itself like they did with the PS3, Cobra's (or whoever else's, i don't pay attention) ODE will require a softmod to work on a given console.
I imagine they'll try to thoroughly obfuscate whatever softmod they do to obtain keys, though. It'll be interesting to see.
In X360 it was posssible to get a key from drive itself.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U requires a soft mod exploit to get the drive key.

Relys......I am more likely to believe U than many others as I have been following your Decryptor thread in the 3DS forum and U seem to have some cred.........

So is that the hangup in ODE release......trying to package an easy way to get drive keys for the 'average' user?

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Relys......I am more likely to believe U than many others as I have been following your Decryptor thread in the 3DS forum and U seem to have some cred.........

So is that the hangup in ODE release......trying to package an easy way to get drive keys for the 'average' user?

I imagine it's either that they've accomplished absolutely nothing (really unlikely, tbh), or they're running into issues getting their hardware produced. Paid hackers generally know what they're doing (at least the ones working for these piracy companies), but hardware always seems to be an issue for most of them.

Reactions: Relys

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hi Quicksilver. From what I gathered it's more of a money/hardware production issue (as Wulfy correctly guessed).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool