Homebrew what exactly do i need for gba emulation on r4ds?

guedesbrawl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
if i am not mistaken the expansion pack is because the ds games are 32 something and the gba games are 64...
but if i get one, would it be all i need?

like,put gba roms on r4, put exapnsion on slot-2, r4 in slot 1, boot gba rom and play at full speed?

other flashcard devices aren't that easy to find here in brazil, so if i can't play them on r4 or r4 sdhc, just tell me so.

guedesbrawl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
so, i need especifically that 'ez 3 in 1' thing?, can't i use the expansion that comes with the internet browser for ds?

and, let's say that i have that problem solved, and i have everything i need; all i need to do is to go in the slot-2 option of the r4's menu and choose a rom to play?
also, is the compatibility good?

thanks for the responses so far, though

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you cannot use the Opera RAM expansion pack. If you're interested in the technical details, it's because the GBA starts execution at address 0x800000 and the Opera RAM doesn't start becoming addressable until 0x900000. Also, it would only work for games up to 8 MB even if it was possible.

I'm not entirely sure how you'll get your game to play from the R4 menu. You may need to launch a separate program. Or maybe your R4 has built-in support for the 3in1. I don't know.

Compatibility for the 3in1 should be very high, excluding games that have special hardware like an RTC or tilt sensor.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is. Like I said, I honestly do not know if the R4 menu natively supports the 3in1 or not. But I am 100% positive that it will not allow you to play GBA games with the Opera RAM expansion pack. You will need a 3in1 for that.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The 3in1 is your best option if you have a DS or DS Lite, though the DS Phat 3in1s are harder to find nowadays, as they've made a separate one that fits flush with the DS Lite system which has become more popular to use.

The slot-2 option is for GBA games or games you write to the 'nor' (rewritable one-game storage) of the 3in1.

guedesbrawl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
okay, i found one and will buy it today, but for booting games, they are acessible through the r4 menu,just like normal ds roms,is that it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol