Hacking What emulators do you think will be possible if the 3DS gets hacked?

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you will NEVER see a dreamcast emulator on the 3ds, its way too powerfull a system to be emulated its comprable to a ps2
Dreamcast was super weak. If wii can emulate psp than Im pretty sure 3ds can emulate Dreamcast on it's super powerful dual-core proccesor and blazing fast 128MB of FCRAM. Would be supriesed if psp makes it to 3ds too.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you will NEVER see a dreamcast emulator on the 3ds, its way too powerfull a system to be emulated its comprable to a ps2
Dreamcast was super weak. If wii can emulate psp than Im pretty sure 3ds can emulate Dreamcast on it's super powerful dual-core proccesor and blazing fast 128MB of FCRAM. Would be supriesed if psp makes it to 3ds too.
OK, for one, the 3DS is a completely different architecture than the Dreamcast (3DS is ARM while Dreamcast is MIPS). Not only that, but the Dreamcast is, in some respects, more powerful than the PS2. Remember, for a system to be emulated on other hardware it generally has to be 7 times for powerful than the original hardware. Since when can the Wii emulate the PSP? If so, it's probably like 1fps. You won't see the DC or the PSP running on the 3DS. Nuff' said.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, for a system to be emulated on other hardware it generally has to be 7 times for powerful than the original hardware. Since when can the Wii emulate the PSP? If so, it's probably like 1fps. You won't see the DC or the PSP running on the 3DS. Nuff' said.

depends, a good emulator or proper porting can make it work 1:1
that said, yeah, it sounds stupid but in the indie homebrew community that applies to emulators

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but not always. More MHz isn't always going to make X emulator run faster. It also depends on how many optimizations are made, how effective the code is and so on. You pretty much have to make the emulator translate one architecture to another. Take Wii64 for example, you're emulating an N64, which uses a 64-bit R4300i MIPS CPU, and the Wii uses a 32-bit IBM Broadway PowerPC CPU, so the emulator will have to translate the CPU code back and forth, thus "tricking" the Wii into acting like an N64. With enough optimizations, you can get pretty decent results. In essence, you emulate the console's hardware through software.

Kemosabe-TBC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Remember, for a system to be emulated on other hardware it generally has to be 7 times for powerful than the original hardware. Since when can the Wii emulate the PSP? If so, it's probably like 1fps. You won't see the DC or the PSP running on the 3DS. Nuff' said.

that said, yeah, it sounds stupid but in the indie homebrew community that applies to emulators

What do you mean "depends"? It doesn't depend on anything, you cannot emulate hardware, that you don't have, without having hardware that is vastly superior to what you want to emulate, it's a physical impossibility.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What do you mean "depends"? It doesn't depend on anything, you cannot emulate hardware, that you don't have, without having hardware that is vastly superior to what you want to emulate, it's a physical impossibility.

well, even if it's a weird example, the wii is a different hardware compared to the gamecube, is it not?
the ds mode in the 3ds
vita handling psp

Kemosabe-TBC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

well, even if it's a weird example, the wii is a different hardware compared to the gamecube, is it not?
the ds mode in the 3ds
vita handling psp
No, all of those consoles have hardware (in addition to the new, more powerful hardware) that let them run the previous generation games natively. There is no emulation involved.

Reactions: 1 person

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
beyond n64 I ain't getting my hopes up, especially dreamcast, the DS can't emulate the 30 or so MIPS of the PSx processor, the PS2 is much more complex system with a higher clock rate and cache then PSx, if the 3DS will be the stonebreaker for PSx, how does anyone expect DC to hit on that stone as well? DC is MIPS much like PS2, do you believe a PS2 emulator will hit the 3DS? no, then DC is off the list, same goes for PSP for handlehands

my actual mind is n64 being emulated as much as SNES in DS mode, and GBA being near perfect emulation ("as much as my android phone")
the 256MHz IGN speculation sounds far from the truth, ARM11 usually has a high clock speed and a shady cache, it leads to low FLOPS amount and slow processing for a lot of data (fast processing for small data), the 3DS won't have easy time dealing with n64 hardware (64-bit word size processor), what I believe will benefit the 3DS is the fast FCRAM it uses

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the ds mode in the 3ds
vita handling psp
No, all of those consoles have hardware (in addition to the new, more powerful hardware) that let them run the previous generation games natively. There is no emulation involved.

i know, but it feels like it makes no sense that it has the previous gen's hardware
i mean how does the 3ds get in ds-mode anyway? it's not using the entire dual-arm and 128 ram, even if the ds had arm architecture
feel free to correct me, but i feel like it's emulation, but it makes it 1:1 because the hardware's architecture is sort of just an updated version

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i know, but it feels like it makes no sense that it has the previous gen's hardware
i mean how does the 3ds get in ds-mode anyway? it's not using the entire dual-arm and 128 ram, even if the ds had arm architecture
feel free to correct me, but i feel like it's emulation, but it makes it 1:1 because the hardware's architecture is sort of just an updated version
Pretty sure it's partial hardware emulation. The 3DS likely has a dual core/dual CPU setup. One core keeps the OS active in the background, the other gets underclocked and since it meets DS specifications, it is capable of running the games at native speed. It's definatelly not software emulations - the hardware does play a role here.

As far as possible emulators for the 3DS are concerned, I don't see anything higher-tier then the Dreamcast running on it.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure it's partial hardware emulation. The 3DS likely has a dual core/dual CPU setup. One core keeps the OS active in the background, the other gets underclocked and since it meets DS specifications, it is capable of running the games at native speed. It's definatelly not software emulations - the hardware does play a role here.

As far as possible emulators for the 3DS are concerned, I don't see anything higher-tier then the Dreamcast running on it.

well, it -is- emulation then, the software part is running the ds OS probably[not sure if required for the game, but it's definitely a program that allow the ds games to run] which is actually software emulation as well
should've been more clear on that in my original post
it's just an emulation with a different method due to the hardware

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

well, it -is- emulation then, the software part is running the ds OS probably[not sure if required for the game, but it's definitely a program that allow the ds games to run] which is actually software emulation as well
That's not exactly how it works. In the case of hardware emulation the software side only plays the role of the Input/Output client wheras the rest is dealt with by the hardware itself.

Kemosabe-TBC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

There is a HUGE difference between that and having to emulate a completely different hardware than you have.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There is a HUGE difference between that and having to emulate a completely different hardware than you have.

and this is why people shouldn't start deleting quotes, read it again, i know the "emulation" works because of the hardware's architecture, that's pretty obvious
my point is, that if for a -miracilous reason- the hardware would be very similar to another consoles hardware [like both using arm, same chipset, etc], 1:1 "emulation" would be possible
i wasn't separating software emulation and hardware emulation, i was talking in general

Coltonamore

Time to stop Tron Bonne!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Once the 3DS gets hacked, what do you think will be possible for emulation that is unattainable on the DS? I imagine we will be able to emulate GBA and SNES without lag or the need for external processing power found in the Supercard and other similar flashcarts. PS1 MIGHT be a possibility based on what I'm reading, but I'm also reading that N64 is all but impossible on the 3DS hardware. What do you guys think/know about the subject?
ok the n64 emulation would be possable but if you had a circle pad pro that could emulate the c-pad

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Once the 3DS gets hacked, what do you think will be possible for emulation that is unattainable on the DS? I imagine we will be able to emulate GBA and SNES without lag or the need for external processing power found in the Supercard and other similar flashcarts. PS1 MIGHT be a possibility based on what I'm reading, but I'm also reading that N64 is all but impossible on the 3DS hardware. What do you guys think/know about the subject?
ok the n64 emulation would be possable but if you had a circle pad pro that could emulate the c-pad
You could also probably map the C buttons to the touch screen, if you needed to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • NinStar
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, tell your parents to stop mating