What does this mean on Waninkoko's Twitter page?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by markmcrobie, Oct 18, 2010.

1. markmcrobie
    OP

Member markmcrobie GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    "Hermes didn't deserve this. I understand him perfectly. You have all my support, my friend."

???

2. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    It's related to the PS3 scene. Some Chinese clone maker made a jailbreak device with Hermes' name on it, without his permission.

3. M[u]ddy

Member M[u]ddy GBAtemp Fan

Germany
  4. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    Probably the PS3 scene drama.
    Hermes' name was used on a PS3 jailbreak device, for advertising without his permission.
    Hermes don't want his name used on public jailbreak devices, or even being connected with them whatsoever. So he quit the ps3 scene.

5. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Quite possibly also related to KaKaRoTo's comments about Hermes' JB payload coding, although KaKaRoTo did later clarify that he meant nothing personal towards Hermes.

EDIT: punctuation

6. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    Hopefully no other jailbreaks cloners have the stupid idea to use a dev's alias as a marketting gimmic... otherwise we could lose more than 1 talented dev as a result!

7. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    I don't worry so much in that case.

8. lex luthor

Member lex luthor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    that because you always hated Waninkoko, wannabe dude

in fact WHO CARES? your weak opinion

On topic again, it is very bad what they did to Hermes.

This is the product that caused the controversy link

9. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    oh noes. someone stole hermes name ( who made shit to steal games )

10. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    are you sure his issue wasn't "why couldn't they have used my name???"

11. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Great news for the people who made the device. I'm sure the free publicity will help them a ton, and I doubt they care if he leaves or not.

12. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    someone needs to let 4chan know [​IMG]

god damn i thought he just left for personal reasons, now I'm pissed. how fucking stupid can those assholes who made that dongle be? if you want to be a thief go ahead, but don't advertise it! im sure hermes knows people steal his work for their own profit or gain (not necessarily for money) but to rub it in his face...

he is a great coder. i wish i could have him teach me what he knows. 222/223/224 for the wii are almost perfect. the only thing missing is nand emulation, the rest is perfect.

13. ocdetective

Member ocdetective GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    They could have put a grave on the last "e" of Hermes and made out it was a haute couture clone........

14. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Oh hush.

and stop

talking like

this.

15. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Seriously, that Lex guy just searches for threads with Waninkoko being mentioned and rags on him incessantly. It's irritating, kinda sad though. I bet he noob-bricked his console with an old updater and never gave up the grudge, or something equally retarded.

It sucks that they branded this thing with Hermes' name, but it doesn't surprise me. The whole Chinese clone market is pretty damn shameless to begin with. Look at shit like the Polystation...examples could be given for days.

16. LeoSan

Newcomer LeoSan Member

Uruguay
    Isn't "Hermes" just an alias?

17. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    this. It's a drug dealer calling the cops crying he got robbed for all his coke.

18. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    It's not a drug dealer, he is not making any profit from it. I can not make a good metaphor for it, but I understand his decision. He don't want his name to be assosiated with commercial stuff like that.

And to anyone saying it's just an alias. An alias can mean a bit more once your alias gets famous on the net. Especially once your real contact info gets associated with it. And especially when the alias is being used for commercial piracy product. Sony might even sue Hermes while he is not even selling the commercial jailbreak devices.

19. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No, he's not making profit off of it. However, it is the same area of moral ambiguity as using someone's internet pseudonym on a device which, short of the commercial endeavor aspect, attempts to achieve a similar end (piracy). Someone is using the fake name of a guy that designed software to play stolen games on their device to play stolen games. Whether he did it for the chase and the thrill of the conquest or whether he did it for profit, neither are exactly mother fucking theresa here. If he has his personal info attached to the name he uses to design cIOSes is irrelevant (not to mention careless and stupid imho). Just as "sony might sue an innocent person" is irrelevant. While part of me says Sony isn't stupid enough to randomly sue someone, the other part of me knows Sony's hand in the RIAA and that they do just that quite often. Again, regardless, when you play with fire..

And, just so it's understood, I have absolutely no quams with piracy. I have 222 on my system and appreciate the work both Hermes & Waninkoko do for the Wii community.

20. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    An alias of a guy who made a modification of PSGroove and someone sell this his alias. Casuality?