What does this mean on Waninkoko's Twitter page?

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
markmcrobie said:
"Hermes didn't deserve this. I understand him perfectly. You have all my support, my friend."

???

Probably the PS3 scene drama.
Hermes' name was used on a PS3 jailbreak device, for advertising without his permission.
Hermes don't want his name used on public jailbreak devices, or even being connected with them whatsoever. So he quit the ps3 scene.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
It's related to the PS3 scene. Some Chinese clone maker made a jailbreak device with Hermes' name on it, without his permission.

Quite possibly also related to KaKaRoTo's comments about Hermes' JB payload coding, although KaKaRoTo did later clarify that he meant nothing personal towards Hermes.

EDIT: punctuation

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hopefully no other jailbreaks cloners have the stupid idea to use a dev's alias as a marketting gimmic... otherwise we could lose more than 1 talented dev as a result!
Waninkoko hackinblack via twiiter said:
If someday something like this happens to me, I will leave the PS3 scene immediately. Do no doubt it.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
XFlak said:
Hopefully no other jailbreaks cloners have the stupid idea to use a dev's alias as a marketting gimmic... otherwise we could lose more than 1 talented dev as a result!
If someday something like this happens to me, I will leave the PS3 scene immediately. Do no doubt it.

I don't worry so much in that case.

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
XFlak said:

that because you always hated Waninkoko, wannabe dude

in fact WHO CARES? your weak opinion

On topic again, it is very bad what they did to Hermes.

This is the product that caused the controversy link

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someone needs to let 4chan know
wink.gif

god damn i thought he just left for personal reasons, now I'm pissed. how fucking stupid can those assholes who made that dongle be? if you want to be a thief go ahead, but don't advertise it! im sure hermes knows people steal his work for their own profit or gain (not necessarily for money) but to rub it in his face...

he is a great coder. i wish i could have him teach me what he knows. 222/223/224 for the wii are almost perfect. the only thing missing is nand emulation, the rest is perfect.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
lex luthor said:
Juanmatron said:
XFlak said:

Oh hush.

and stop

talking like

this.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Midna said:
lex luthor said:
Juanmatron said:
XFlak said:

Oh hush.

and stop

talking like

this.

Seriously, that Lex guy just searches for threads with Waninkoko being mentioned and rags on him incessantly. It's irritating, kinda sad though. I bet he noob-bricked his console with an old updater and never gave up the grudge, or something equally retarded.

It sucks that they branded this thing with Hermes' name, but it doesn't surprise me. The whole Chinese clone market is pretty damn shameless to begin with. Look at shit like the Polystation...examples could be given for days.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ossot said:
megazig said:
oh noes. someone stole hermes name ( who made shit to steal games )

this. It's a drug dealer calling the cops crying he got robbed for all his coke.

It's not a drug dealer, he is not making any profit from it. I can not make a good metaphor for it, but I understand his decision. He don't want his name to be assosiated with commercial stuff like that.

And to anyone saying it's just an alias. An alias can mean a bit more once your alias gets famous on the net. Especially once your real contact info gets associated with it. And especially when the alias is being used for commercial piracy product. Sony might even sue Hermes while he is not even selling the commercial jailbreak devices.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darkmystery said:
Ossot said:
megazig said:
oh noes. someone stole hermes name ( who made shit to steal games )

this. It's a drug dealer calling the cops crying he got robbed for all his coke.

It's not a drug dealer, he is not making any profit from it. I can not make a good metaphor for it, but I understand his decision. He don't want his name to be assosiated with commercial stuff like that.

No, he's not making profit off of it. However, it is the same area of moral ambiguity as using someone's internet pseudonym on a device which, short of the commercial endeavor aspect, attempts to achieve a similar end (piracy). Someone is using the fake name of a guy that designed software to play stolen games on their device to play stolen games. Whether he did it for the chase and the thrill of the conquest or whether he did it for profit, neither are exactly mother fucking theresa here. If he has his personal info attached to the name he uses to design cIOSes is irrelevant (not to mention careless and stupid imho). Just as "sony might sue an innocent person" is irrelevant. While part of me says Sony isn't stupid enough to randomly sue someone, the other part of me knows Sony's hand in the RIAA and that they do just that quite often. Again, regardless, when you play with fire..

And, just so it's understood, I have absolutely no quams with piracy. I have 222 on my system and appreciate the work both Hermes & Waninkoko do for the Wii community.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night