What Do You Think of Ocarina of Time?

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is OOT a great game, is OOT a great game........., IS OOT "HE'LL FUCKING YEAH" it's a great game infact one of my top 5 greatest games I have ever played. I can literally play the game over and over (with the exception of that annoying water temple) and it has never gotten old nor boring. In one day (less than a day)I actually made it to the 2nd dugeon of the main dungeons as grown link on my friends profile. I love OOT favorite Zelda game evahhh.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's great, just not as perfect as everyone makes it out to be. The 3DS version was extremely disappointing, not in gamplay wise, but the fact that it was virtually the same game as the N46 version with better graphics and you had to beat the game for Master Quest. If they had an option for Master Quest at the start that would have been nice, but the fact that I had to play through the same game, again, just ruined it for me.
I've never really considered OoT to have that much replay value.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, they should've had MQ available at the start on the 3DS, like they did for the GC version. Granted, 3DS's MQ isn't the same, but still, should've been open from the start, or via a code, or some way other than having to go through the whole game first.

I still think it's well worth buying, though.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Ocarina of Time. My favorite of the Zelda games. Just love the open world where you can change from kid to adult at anytime once you gain access to that ability. Windwaker is only missing time travel, or it would be so perfect to me.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Late to the party again, but hey, it's only been ten days.

Zelda is my favorite game series. Ocarina of Time was the first game I played in that series. Naturally, I think it's the best, if not one of the best, right?

No actually, I don't.

A lot of people call Ocarina of Time the "Citizen Kane" of gaming, and they mean it as a huge compliment, but I think the comparison works two-fold. Yes, both were extremely groundbreaking and introduced/popularized concepts that mainstream gaming and movies still use today. But at the same time, both pale in comparison to many more modern, less archaic counterparts. This isn't to say you can't enjoy Ocarina of Time or Citizen Kane, but to call either of them the best game/movie of all time is just silly, when there are tons of other games/movies (sometimes even in the same series) that did everything so much better.

Not to mention that Ocarina of Time didn't even surpass it's predecessor in a lot of ways. A Link to the Past was in 2D, but it also introduced pretty much all the core concepts of a modern Zelda game, and did it so much better than Ocarina of Time ever did. Dungeons were more complex with smarter puzzles, and even your perception of height in what's above and below you was better executed in A Link to the Past. The overworld remains the best the series has ever had. The storytelling and exposition are concise and don't waste your time, while still giving you a balanced, if simple story to go on (heck, Ocarina of Time's story is practically a carbon copy of A Link to the Past's, but shorter and with embellishments and some changes).

And speaking of wasting time, A Link to the Past feels like the last game in the series to not do that. You opened a chest? Yay it had rupees, a split second to show you the number and that's it. As opposed to a long-ass animation, iconic or not, to open a chest, and then the same long text description being repeated every time you get a rupee, or a map, or a compass. Ugh!

And just for the record (before someone accuses me of nostalgia blindness for A Link to the Past), I didn't play A Link to the Past until a few years ago, and didn't actually beat it until this year. And It's not my favorite Zelda game, I just think that it's the best Zelda game. Majora's Mask is my favorite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, made a new one