What do you guys use for maximum storage on your modded Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Neath, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I've got a 1TB external HDD hooked up to mine. Yeah, it's probably overkill, but when we get to the point where we can easily have everything for Wii U and vWii on one drive, I'll be happy for it.

rickwj324 likes this.
  2. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    Steve Gibson is a very good sales man. Some people think that spinrite is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil, at least for modern drives if not for all of time.

https://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/steve-gibson-is-a-fraud/
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!original/comp.dcom.xdsl/Vm2xVSu6prk/jpfCIyPj7poJ

There are some buggy SSD that really do fail if they aren't refreshed and spinrite can do that, but I believe they all got firmware updates eventually.

Last edited by smf, Mar 20, 2017
  3. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2013
    I honestly don't see why anyone would bother with a flash drive or SSD given it's over USB2.0 and they both take undue wear from frequent writes (auto save) and cost more per GB.

4. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    Because a max of 32GB of storage sucks? And because the load times for Loadiine suck?

5. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2013
    I should have been more explicit clearly, I use a HDD. (One I took out of a laptop).

A 320GB HDD is about £20 will be faster than a flashdisk over all (data streams in game), comparable in speed to a SSD and probably marginally more reliable for a fraction of the cost.

6. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    Actually, I owe you an apology. I read "HDD" and not "SSD" like you'd actually written =/

wolfmankurd likes this.
  7. Vorde

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    I just use a 64GB USB for it. Honestly there aren't many games for the console that I wanted, and I have a 128GB SD card in the console for other things I can have too. Most of the games I have enjoyed on the console I have purchased discs for

8. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    I use 8GB Pendrive.
    I keep my games on NAND, and after i'm done with them, i simply delete them.

9. BlackZero500

BlackZero500 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    I just cannot understand this play and delete thing. Do you never want to play a game again? If you Do you would have to install it again. Seems so inconvenient and impractical. Especially when hdd's are as cheap as they are. I mean ok, maybe you just dont have the money, i could understand that. But you dont Sound like thats the reason.

10. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    HDDs are indeed cheap, i have my 1TB HDD lying around with my personal stuff and i just don't want to sacrifice this HDD and most of my important files to just have more space in Wii U.
    If i complete game 100%, i don't find a need to keep it on my Wii U, so i just dump my save with Saviine and move onto a next game. Inconvenient as it sounds, but you might understand that i don't play on my Wii U often. Most of the time, i'm either playing on-the-go [On my phone] or on my PC.

So really, i don't need a unknown amount of games to make me happy, if I liked a game, i will keep it. Other games can be deleted because i want space for something else.
    Sorry for that big wall of text but i guess, i got carried away.

11. BlackZero500

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    Hmm. You got some points there. I delete games i didnt like enough to replay it. But i keep all other ones.

Playing on Phone... *noise of screaminggamer soul*

Felek666 likes this.
  12. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I found my 320 gb ide drive from a while ago and I just hooked it up. Now I have Half-Genie Hero and Bayonetta on there.

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Honestly, either a cheap USB enclosure with cheap 128GB+ SSD, or nano USB stick of 128GB+ is what I recommend. I'm using a 128GB microSD card in a nano-sized reader, and it's just amazing. Harddrives just have too many problems associated with them for Wii U usage.

14. BlackZero500

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    A ssd? In a USB emclosure? To use on USB 2.0? Are you nuts?

After you turned off the energy save feature of the hdd there are no Problems at all.

Last edited by BlackZero500, Mar 27, 2017
  15. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    i have two 2Tb HDDs. One for WiiU and one for vWii. The vWii one has pretty much every NES/SNES/Gamecube/SEGA/Arcade/Wii game ever released. my eleven year-old self is very happy about that seeing as we were very broke when i was a kid so i'm making up for it now. the WiiU one is just over at half capacity after installing every game I find mildly interesting.. currently mostly playing BotW and a PC space fighter sim (Freespace 2 with mods) but that latter is off-topic, sorry.

back on-topic: the only "issue" is having to change HDD every time i want to play with the vWii part of the console but that is hardly an issue tbh..

i could consolidate the collection by using loadiine and that modded Mocha but spent already too much time downloading and installing games the WUP way so i don't think i'll ever bother with that. this setup is good enough. might look into it when the WiiU HDD dies though..

BlackZero500 likes this.
  16. BlackZero500

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    You can use Ustealth on the vwii hdd to hide it from wii u. Then you can have both plugged in.

Madalone likes this.
  17. PoppaDre

PoppaDre GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Canada

This is the one I use, except mines 320GB. Plenty of space for all the games I care to play and most all VC games that are on wiiu Helper

18. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    hmmmm that's an idea but i only have one sata to usb adapter.. :D

Last edited by Madalone, Mar 27, 2017
  19. rickwj324

rickwj324 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    So you can have both drives plugged in at the same time? My vWii drive has Ustealth on it, but I didn't realize I could plug in 2 drives at the same time (one for vWii and one for Wii-U). That's good news!! I have a docking station plugged into my Wii-U and just popped in whichever drive I needed at the time but I'd much rather have them both plugged in simultaneously.

Thanks!

20. BlackZero500

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    Yeah, i have It like that. On vwii the homebrews are mostly compatible with uszealth so they detect the hidden drive.

rickwj324 likes this.