Hardware What do you guys use for maximum storage on your modded Wii U?

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p
Not really, but they Power down if Not used recently so thats ok.

Except it is a Server hdd. Then you are right.
If I recall correctly, cycling a drive(on and off) tends to wear down the drive more than keeping it on. It was in some write-up by the guy who created Spinrite back in the day.

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That can well be correct if you would cycle the drive on and of often. but how often do you start a console? i mean i have one that automatically goes on and off with my pc and that for about 9 years already and i turn my pc on nearly every day. And all HDDs have a certain hour count which they will probably run and that way you will wear it down rapidly. More even if you disabled the powering down function which is recommended when in use with wii u cause that can cause lag, save failures and even crashes.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wonder how much space every Wii U game would take up. And how much only the "good" Wii U games would require. Would it even be one terabyte?

I'm EUR/PAL console, I have installed every single EUR/PAL game with some additional US region games that have not been released for EUR/PAL, so a total of just over 171 games.
Total space taken up is just a little over 1.2TB of my 2TB drive.
So to install only the good games, 1TB is plenty.

Just be aware that the WiiU will only allow you to install a total of 300 games at any one time, that's including the system apps like Mii Maker, I have gone crazy and decided to install every eShop/VC/etc.
I didn't know about the 300 game limit until I did a huge batch install and let finish, then a realised some games didn't install or missing, did a quick google search, 300 is the magic number.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm EUR/PAL console, I have installed every single EUR/PAL game with some additional US region games that have not been released for EUR/PAL, so a total of just over 171 games.
Total space taken up is just a little over 1.2TB of my 2TB drive.
So to install only the good games, 1TB is plenty.

Just be aware that the WiiU will only allow you to install a total of 300 games at any one time, that's including the system apps like Mii Maker, I have gone crazy and decided to install every eShop/VC/etc.
I didn't know about the 300 game limit until I did a huge batch install and let finish, then a realised some games didn't install or missing, did a quick google search, 300 is the magic number.
Good to know, thanks.

Just curious, got a list of which games you decided to keep, and which didn't make the list of 300?

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good to know, thanks.

Just curious, got a list of which games you decided to keep, and which didn't make the list of 300?

Sorry don't have a full list but have numbers instead, for WiiU, pretty much ALL EUR/PAL games installed with a few US games added to the mix, total 169 games.

Then used WiiU USB helper to manage all the eShop/VC games:

VC's: Downloaded ALL EUR/PAL NES, SNES, GBA, NDS, N64 and Wii games, total of 80 games installed.

eShop: Downloaded over 200 EUR/PAL eShop games. Installed a selection of 49 games.

That's a total of 298 games + the 2 system apps, YouTube and Mii Maker so that's the total magic number of 300.

I have also downloaded 155 US VC games that is not released for EUR/PAL (not installed)
US eShop games, I haven't gone through to see what games EUR/PAL didn't get yet so I assume there will be a few.

Some will ask why would I want to install every single game which I'm probably not ever going to play them, dunno, just a habit of mine wanting to install every single game.

I'm sure by modifying some system files and possible brick if you change the incorrect values, but there should be a limit settings somewhere :)

Reactions: Smash Br0

wolfmankurd

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a single 320GB 5400 rpm ex-laptop HDD through a SATA->USB3 adapter using external power. Just because that was what I had lying around. It seems to be working perfectly well.

Probably He just has 2 or 3 harddrives for the games.
How well does swapping out HDDs work? I assume you can't hot swap.

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a 64GB in the SD slot (mainly for Nintendont) and a 128GB SD card with an adaptor as my external storage. If I ever fill either up I'll just splurge some cash, they're getting more and more inexpensive.

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dont know about hotswapping, but the sorting will stay as it was. But if one doesnt like to change hdds one could always settle with about 300 games. Dont think there are even this many good ones.

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I modded my Wii-U as well as the vWii (which requires a 2nd hard drive). I currently use a little device called a DELL POWERVAULT which is a usb drive that uses cartridges containing laptop hard drives. The cartridges I have are 650gb each (1 for WiiU and 1 for vWii). That way I can just hit eject on the drive and swap cartridges. This works great since you can't plug in 2 usb drives at the same time. Neither drive is full and I have pretty much every WiiU game on one cartridge and Wii/GC/emulators on the other cartridge.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I ripped apart an old Xbox 360 hard drive to get the 120GB HDD, which is then attached using a very cheap enclosure. Maximum Ghettoness.

Yes, I need something more 'reliable' but I can't be bothered.

Last edited by G0R3Z,

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Word of advice: Getting over 500GB for the WiiU is a bad idea. Not because it's bad for the system, but because there aren't 439GB of good games on the WiiU. You'll only hit 439GB if you add shovelware like Game and Wario, Wii Party U, Devil's Third, Crap indie games, etc.
Also get a Y cable or just make your own.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 750GB drive i bought for $10 on CL and i can't imagine i would ever be able to fill it
like poster above said VC games but i was surprised to find out how crap DS VC is are they serious with this ? i wish there was a way to mod these so that the TV is the top screen and the gamepad is the bottom screen for DS VC, the secrens are the size of a postage stamp
:lol:, hit the ZR button while in a DS VC title and goto Screen Settings... plenty setups there, can also switch hands and add screen smoothing, sorted!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Word of advice: Getting over 500GB for the WiiU is a bad idea. Not because it's bad for the system, but because there aren't 439GB of good games on the WiiU. You'll only hit 439GB if you add shovelware like Game and Wario, Wii Party U, Devil's Third, Crap indie games, etc.
Also get a Y cable or just make your own.
Game & Wario isn't shovelware. I mean, it's by no means a great game, Nintendoland was far more fleshed out and fun, it's more like Wii Play really. Some of the minigames are rather fun and you can get hours of enjoyment out of the multiplayer mode. It's worth keeping around just for the Pictionary clone really.
But don't get me wrong, I don't think it's worth buying unless it's like $10, there just isn't enough content in it. Might be worth pirating though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: coreycubed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo