What are your favorite and most disliked controllers?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Stephano, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Stephano
    OP

Stephano pessimism = Realism

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nowhere
    With almost 40 years worth of gaming peripherals made, everyone most likely has a favorite. Whether it be because of nostalgia, utility, design, or just the feel of it, what are your favorite controllers or peripherals for games? If you can't decide, what are your three favorites? What do you like about them?

In addition, what are some controllers that you just can't stand? It's not rare that there are otherwise good games on systems that are ruined by a bad controller.

These controllers/peripherals can range from Fighting Sticks, Keyboards, Modern controllers, paddles, the Kinect, or even the Steel Battalion controller on the original Xbox?

My Favorites
    My most disliked controller

2. The3rdknuckles

The3rdknuckles GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    To tell you the truth I feel most comfortable playing on a N3DS XL.

Stephano likes this.
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    360 controller is a work of art.
    I tie it in first place with the Xbone Elite controller.

After that I got the GCN controller.

Controller I hate the most is the Dreamcast controller.
    So plasticy and horrible.
    Also, wtf is up with the cable sticking out of the bottom!?

Ohyeh, N64 for their thumbstick.
    Fucking horrible.

4. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The Lone Wanderer

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    The 360 controller is king bar none that I have ever used. My most disliked was the wavebird controller. it always felt a bit odd to me.

5. ToonGoomba

ToonGoomba Sarcastic Super Star

Oct 20, 2017
    United States
    North Carolina
    Joy-Cons are my favorite controllers(vertically), I just love the simplicity of them. My "eh" controller is the Wii U gamepad, its so bulky. My "ugh" controller is the N64 controller, which was obviously made for aliens.

6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    The Elite controller needs updated so that Bluetooth is an option. The cheap bumpers are an issue and the sticks need properly addressed. I've owned 4, and all 4 had the sticks come loose after roughly 5 months of use. My non-elite controllers have never had that issue.

My favorite controller? The GameCube controller. They're a lot more comfortable to hold than just about anything else for me.

2nd? The Xbox One Controller. Really well designed. Feels sturdy and doesn't cramp my hands after extended sessions.

My least favorite? I'd have to say any Playstation controller pre PS4. I'm sorry but there's nothing comfortable about them. From the terrible sticks and stick placement to how cramped they feel.

Last edited by Memoir, Jan 16, 2018
  7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    X360/one controller is perfect for big hands of mine! due to its BIG size;
    honestly ds3/4 is bit tiny for reason above;
    On PC i alway own 2 Corsair K70 mechanical keyboards and Logitech Spectrum G502, best of bests for shooters.
    my most hated one is N64's, it's really hard to play Mario 64 with one thumbstick at centre.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by leon315, Jan 16, 2018
  8. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I've also had a few issues with it.
    But then again, I also have a few issues with the 360 controller.

None of them is perfect.
    But those two come close.

9. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    My favourite by far is the Gamecube controller

Least favourite the original xbox duke controller what on earth where Microsoft thinking

Honorable mention in what where they thinking also goes to Nintendo with the NES power glove and Namco for the neGcon PS1 controller abd Atari for the 5200 and Jaguar Controllers.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Jan 16, 2018
  10. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    By far the best controller I've used is the Xbox one elite controller. Honorable mentions go to the Xbox 360 controller and the switch pro controller.

My least favorite controller that I've used is probably the ds3. Honorable mention would go to the o3ds (my hands always get cramped when playing on any of the smaller variants of the 3ds family, xl 3ds is fine).

11. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I really like the Xbox One controller. I'm using it for my PC :)
    I like the Game Cube controller too, and the N64, and SNES and NES...
    I guess the WIi controller is my least favorite when I think about it. Oh well, there's none that I've tried that is really bad in my opinion :)

12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    It'll be a strange choice, but my favorite is actually the wiiu gamepad. The main reason is the actual screen on the thing, but I consider the bulky side a plus (I have large hands).
    If that doesn't count: the PS4 one.

Least favorite: a cheap knockoff gamecube controller I once bought. It was wireless before wireless became standard in controllers, and man did that shine through. The batteries seemed to power the "warning: power low" light on it more than actual use. The thing was unresponsive if you held it in even a slightly off-angle or too far away from the receiving end (about 2-3 meter) and the joystick developed a ghosting movement on it (at first I thought this race track I was playing had serious sidewind) that only resolved by turning the device off and on again. It was cheap, but lasted less than one third of the time I used on controllers of twice that price.

13. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    The Xbox 360 is a great controller, but it just feels wrong to play older games (i.e. Genesis/SNES/NES-era games) on it. Probably because the D-Pad on it is ass and I don't trust an analog controller to do what a D-Pad does best. Plus, playing NES games with an Xbox 360 controller feels like overkill, it just doesn't work for me.

I personally prefer controllers to a keyboard & mouse. I can certainly see the advantage with FPS and point-and-click games, and I honestly don't care if the game is a turn-based RPG, but if I want to play something like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Street Fighter, etc., I'll definitely be using a controller.

Also, I always found the idea of putting extra processors and equipment inside game cartridges as both interesting and novel. I honestly wonder how far you could push the SNES if you gave it a cartridge with a relatively modern processor; see how many polygons it could render, or other cool effects you could do in games.

14. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    I love the Xbox One and Switch Pro Controller, they're both amazing in my opinion.

From what I've used, I really dislike the joycons.

15. Polopop123

Polopop123 Banned

Banned
    Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    Best: X360/DS4
    Worst: DS3

16. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Out of curiosity, does this also extend to the DS2 and DS1?

17. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    Best: DS4, Switch Pro Controller

Worst: OG Xbox Duke Controller

18. Lukerz

Lukerz Sloth. That's it.

Apr 24, 2017
    United States
    Maryland
    I gotta say the joy-cons are my favorite controllers. The are small and uncomfortable for sure but the ability to slide on off and play with a freind is awesome! Least favorite? Probably the wiimote tbh.

19. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    That reminds me, I hate the wiimote.

20. Polopop123

Polopop123 Banned

Banned
    Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    Haven’t really used those to be honest, just going on ones I’ve used. The thing I really hate about the DS3 are the triggers and analog sticks. I wouldn’t say they are much different from the DS2 or 1

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted