What are your favorite and most disliked controllers?

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With almost 40 years worth of gaming peripherals made, everyone most likely has a favorite. Whether it be because of nostalgia, utility, design, or just the feel of it, what are your favorite controllers or peripherals for games? If you can't decide, what are your three favorites? What do you like about them?

In addition, what are some controllers that you just can't stand? It's not rare that there are otherwise good games on systems that are ruined by a bad controller.

These controllers/peripherals can range from Fighting Sticks, Keyboards, Modern controllers, paddles, the Kinect, or even the Steel Battalion controller on the original Xbox?

1. Xbox 360 Controller
While the 360 was a piece of trash, although fun, it's controller to me is so good to hold. It's heavy, the control sticks are reliable, and the buttons never stick. The main reason I like this so much is because i can use it on my computer as well. While yes a keyboard is superior to controllers, I like to lay back and play sometimes since i'm always hunched over at a computer for school.
2. Gamecube Controller
I like this controller for the same reasons as the 360. It's solid, feels good to hold, not too light, and the buttons never stick. My favorite aspect about the controller is the analog bumpers. They just feel so good to press.
3. Keyboard
Obvious answer is obvious
The PS3 Controller
Many may disagree with me on this but I cannot stand this controller. I really like heavy controllers because most of the time they are durable. The PS3 controller on the other hand is super light and can easily break if dropped.When i squeeze the controller, i can feel the bottom half and top half move ever so slightly as though its about to snap. While i can get over this, what I can't get over are the joysticks. I don't know if y'all had the same issues i've had but those things tend to stick.... like a lot. In fact, about 90% of all of my falling deaths in Demon's Souls are caused by those joysticks sticking to the edge and causing me to fall. This my biggest gripe with the controller. Feel free to disagree. :)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
360 controller is a work of art.
I tie it in first place with the Xbone Elite controller.

After that I got the GCN controller.

Controller I hate the most is the Dreamcast controller.
So plasticy and horrible.
Also, wtf is up with the cable sticking out of the bottom!?

Ohyeh, N64 for their thumbstick.
Fucking horrible.

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joy-Cons are my favorite controllers(vertically), I just love the simplicity of them. My "eh" controller is the Wii U gamepad, its so bulky. My "ugh" controller is the N64 controller, which was obviously made for aliens.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
360 controller is a work of art.
I tie it in first place with the Xbone Elite controller.

After that I got the GCN controller.

Controller I hate the most is the Dreamcast controller.
So plasticy and horrible.
Also, wtf is up with the cable sticking out of the bottom!?

Ohyeh, N64 for their thumbstick.
Fucking horrible.
The Elite controller needs updated so that Bluetooth is an option. The cheap bumpers are an issue and the sticks need properly addressed. I've owned 4, and all 4 had the sticks come loose after roughly 5 months of use. My non-elite controllers have never had that issue.

My favorite controller? The GameCube controller. They're a lot more comfortable to hold than just about anything else for me.

2nd? The Xbox One Controller. Really well designed. Feels sturdy and doesn't cramp my hands after extended sessions.

My least favorite? I'd have to say any Playstation controller pre PS4. I'm sorry but there's nothing comfortable about them. From the terrible sticks and stick placement to how cramped they feel.

Last edited by Kioku,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
X360/one controller is perfect for big hands of mine! due to its BIG size;
honestly ds3/4 is bit tiny for reason above;
On PC i alway own 2 Corsair K70 mechanical keyboards and Logitech Spectrum G502, best of bests for shooters.
my most hated one is N64's, it's really hard to play Mario 64 with one thumbstick at centre.

IMG_20170720_203435.jpg

by6Yx5

by6Yx5

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Elite controller needs updated so that Bluetooth is an option. The cheap bumpers are an issue and the sticks need properly addressed. I've owned 4, and all 4 had the sticks come loose after roughly 5 months of use. My non-elite controllers have never had that issue.

My favorite controller? The GameCube controller. They're a lot more comfortable to hold than just about anything else for me.

2nd? The Xbox One Controller. Really well designed. Feels sturdy and doesn't cramp my hands after extended sessions.

My least favorite? I'd have to say any Playstation controller pre PS4. I'm sorry but there's nothing comfortable about them. From the terrible sticks and stick placement to how cramped they feel.

I've also had a few issues with it.
But then again, I also have a few issues with the 360 controller.

None of them is perfect.
But those two come close.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My favourite by far is the Gamecube controller

Least favourite the original xbox duke controller what on earth where Microsoft thinking

Honorable mention in what where they thinking also goes to Nintendo with the NES power glove and Namco for the neGcon PS1 controller and Atari for the 5200 and Jaguar Controllers.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By far the best controller I've used is the Xbox one elite controller. Honorable mentions go to the Xbox 360 controller and the switch pro controller.

My least favorite controller that I've used is probably the ds3. Honorable mention would go to the o3ds (my hands always get cramped when playing on any of the smaller variants of the 3ds family, xl 3ds is fine).

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I really like the Xbox One controller. I'm using it for my PC :)
I like the Game Cube controller too, and the N64, and SNES and NES...
I guess the WIi controller is my least favorite when I think about it. Oh well, there's none that I've tried that is really bad in my opinion :)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It'll be a strange choice, but my favorite is actually the wiiu gamepad. The main reason is the actual screen on the thing, but I consider the bulky side a plus (I have large hands).
If that doesn't count: the PS4 one.

Least favorite: a cheap knockoff gamecube controller I once bought. It was wireless before wireless became standard in controllers, and man did that shine through. The batteries seemed to power the "warning: power low" light on it more than actual use. The thing was unresponsive if you held it in even a slightly off-angle or too far away from the receiving end (about 2-3 meter) and the joystick developed a ghosting movement on it (at first I thought this race track I was playing had serious sidewind) that only resolved by turning the device off and on again. It was cheap, but lasted less than one third of the time I used on controllers of twice that price.

D

Deleted User

The Xbox 360 is a great controller, but it just feels wrong to play older games (i.e. Genesis/SNES/NES-era games) on it. Probably because the D-Pad on it is ass and I don't trust an analog controller to do what a D-Pad does best. Plus, playing NES games with an Xbox 360 controller feels like overkill, it just doesn't work for me.

I personally prefer controllers to a keyboard & mouse. I can certainly see the advantage with FPS and point-and-click games, and I honestly don't care if the game is a turn-based RPG, but if I want to play something like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Street Fighter, etc., I'll definitely be using a controller.

Also, I always found the idea of putting extra processors and equipment inside game cartridges as both interesting and novel. I honestly wonder how far you could push the SNES if you gave it a cartridge with a relatively modern processor; see how many polygons it could render, or other cool effects you could do in games.

D

Deleted-379826

I love the Xbox One and Switch Pro Controller, they're both amazing in my opinion.

From what I've used, I really dislike the joycons.

ATofix

Sloth. That's it.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta say the joy-cons are my favorite controllers. The are small and uncomfortable for sure but the ability to slide on off and play with a freind is awesome! Least favorite? Probably the wiimote tbh.

D

Deleted-379826

I gotta say the joy-cons are my favorite controllers. The are small and uncomfortable for sure but the ability to slide on off and play with a freind is awesome! Least favorite? Probably the wiimote tbh.
That reminds me, I hate the wiimote.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans