So I'm finally gonna give in and buy one now since the PSP Go came out which will hopefully lower the price of the originals.
What are some things I should look for?
It helps some but you should keep in mind that the box code is often missing, assuming you can find a new PSP 2000 at all. I do believe that all the silver ones are hackable (though many if not all are TA-088v2 so you can't create a pandora battery with them), though I can't be sure.
Buy one about 2 years old, I have purchased 2 recently second hand recently and asking when they got them is the best idea, the unhackable boards appeared Aug 08 so 2 years = hackable.
Original firmware - if the unit you are going to buy has LESS than 4.01 then it is hackable, 4.01 = only a maybe
As far as I know, the newest 2000 motherboard is still TA-090 which if I remember correctly were hackable, so the newest 2000s should be hackable, but not the slightly older ones (TA-088v3). I haven't really paid that much attention to the whole motherboard thing recently except for when I got a PSP (TA-088v3 were the newest at that time, luckily I didn't get one), but I've picked up a few tidbits more recently. Of course the safest way is to just buy one you know is old enough to be hackable.
Thing is, I don't know where I can get a second hand psp (2000), buying one here in Israel will cost pretty much the same as buying a new one over seas, and I don't really want to use eBay since I've never used it and heard all those stories.. xP
well gamestop should have them... and yes there is the issue with motherboard however when you use pident on the psp (after you got it of course) you can check if its right. if not just return it and try a new one.
After being announced last week, the first of two broadcasts is set to go live later today with a stark focus on The Legend of Zelda and its 40th anniversary...
It's that time again folks, an update for the Switch and Switch 2, and a surprisingly big one at that! At lease for folks on the Switch 2. The most notable feature...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the departure of our beloved Chary from the position of Chief Editor. Chary took over early 2021 and has done a wonderful job...
The second of a two-part special, a more traditional Nintendo Direct is set to air today. Unlike the Zelda Direct the contents of this one is still relatively up in...
Over the weekend a number of Switch and Switch 2 related subreddits came alive with people reporting bans on their Switch 2 consoles out of nowhere. The error code...
After an accidental leaking of their review video from Linus Tech Tips last week, we somewhat knew that news on Steam's latest VR venture was imminent. Today the...
After more than a year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has gotten a fresh update with a focus on the Switch 2, and it's surprisingly meaty. For those Switch 2 players, they'll...
Announced a few days ago, Nintendo of America have today launched their Customer Appreciation Sale. Featuring 30% discounts across a wide range of popular first-party...
It's been something of a quiet week in the gaming space, with the deluge of big hitters trying to find their place before GTA 6 launches really kicking off next week...
A few days ago Chary stepped down as Chief Editor after 5 wonderful years, and everyone guessed the seat wouldn't stay empty for very long. Back in 2021 I proudly...
After being announced last week, the first of two broadcasts is set to go live later today with a stark focus on The Legend of Zelda and its 40th anniversary...
It's been something of a quiet week in the gaming space, with the deluge of big hitters trying to find their place before GTA 6 launches really kicking off next week...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the departure of our beloved Chary from the position of Chief Editor. Chary took over early 2021 and has done a wonderful job...
The second of a two-part special, a more traditional Nintendo Direct is set to air today. Unlike the Zelda Direct the contents of this one is still relatively up in...
After an accidental leaking of their review video from Linus Tech Tips last week, we somewhat knew that news on Steam's latest VR venture was imminent. Today the...
Announced a few days ago, Nintendo of America have today launched their Customer Appreciation Sale. Featuring 30% discounts across a wide range of popular first-party...
A few days ago Chary stepped down as Chief Editor after 5 wonderful years, and everyone guessed the seat wouldn't stay empty for very long. Back in 2021 I proudly...
From my post earlier this week you probably already know which game I'm talking about. Fire Emblem released yesterday to some pretty rave reviews. Looking at...
A court has ordered Reddit r/SwitchPirates moderator James Williams (of ArchBox fame) must pay Nintendo $4.5 million in a default judgment for copyright infringement...
The in-progress Switch port of the 2013 Rockstar Games Grand Theft Auto V has been forced to end progress after Take-Two Interactive has threatened legal action...