ROM Hack WHAATTT??!!!! Crimison Nocturnal its OVER!!&#3

psazum

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The way I see it, they were being a bit over dramatic. If they were tired of people pushing and hounding them, why couldn't they just shut the comment section, block all incoming emails (except for some select few), cancel all interviews, and continue the work in peace? (You know, just like some authors who work in seclusion?)

Armenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly. What a load of shit.

Neoxephon has "quit" several times since starting up this translation group. I really feel for the poor people he's strung along who have had to keep the projects going and deal with the community getting restless at the fact that there hadn't been any updates in months. Of course a few people are going to be more vocal than others, but most of the folks who posted regularly on CN were pretty reasonable people who were overall very positive about the work being done there.

So you come back, release SaGa 2, disappear for over four months again( with no work done on SaGa 3 according to the forums), and then sabotage your website to get on a soap box and whine about the community. What a "fuck you" to the translation group that's stuck with you and the community that has remained positive through all the wishy-washy-ness.

Hopefully Haven, Cid and the rest find another place to work on translations. I rather enjoyed SaGa 2 and would still love to see SaGa 3.

meleaina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
long time lurker here. I've been following translations for ages, since nes and snes were all the rage. . It pisses me of to see people hounding a translator for work or complaining about it not being done fast enough. I've waited 10 years for a SNES game to be translated and some people expect a DS patch in 2 days. Im certain DS takes alot more work. also, there's a big difference between a game company translation and a fan translation. Someones gonna get paid after all their work in cash and the other only get's the respect of their peers. and i've seen more complaints than praise on alot of translation pages these days. i will admit i've never gave anything to the scene, but i've been around computers and programing long enough to know it's not a drop of a hat and that people have lives outside of translation. Quitting might seem like a weak move, but when the negative outweighs the postive, you need a break to refocus on why you started to begin with. Maybe CN will get back that sparks and come back, but im certain all the people who worked on those projects will still be around in one form or another. and if any of the team is reading, thanks for the solid effort you've given to this point.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Although it's bad for the translations (unless somebody picks them up) and for the team that they quit, on the other hand people can see even in this thread the reason why they say they quit - it's full of people who just badmouth and curse them in the worst way without acknowledging any of the good things that they've done. And that's very different from constructive criticism which in my opinion is acceptable and often even positive.

Don't get me wrong - there are people in this thread whose arguments are based upon reason and aren't just some spineless hate spam like some other posts are.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fel said:
Although it's bad for the translations (unless somebody picks them up) and for the team that they quit, on the other hand people can see even in this thread the reason why they say they quit - it's full of people who just badmouth and curse them in the worst way without acknowledging any of the good things that they've done. And that's very different from constructive criticism which in my opinion is acceptable and often even positive.

Don't get me wrong - there are people in this thread whose arguments are based upon reason and aren't just some spineless hate spam like some other posts are.

If I recall, there are plenty of people in this thread thanking them for SaGa 2. There's no need to bunch the majority who are disappointed in them with the ones badmouthing them. Quitting out of nowhere doesn't just make them look bad, but the romhacking scene, in general. It gives people little hope in other groups. What do you tell those who donated to their group? "Sorry, things got tough."? If they donated after SaGa 2 for SaGa 3 or Summon Night X, they should at least get their money refunded. There are a lot of people who appreciate what they've brought to the scene, but the way they went about it is what's giving them so much heat.

It wouldn't have killed them to get rid of the troublemakers or their posts causing the trouble. Translation forums often do. Making their supporters pay the price for those causing trouble is a big slap in the face to them. I'd be disappointed too if I were them.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
What?! Seriously?! I was so looking forward to SaGa 3's english translation and a chance to finally play a Summon Night game that looks remotely interesting...

Also, is there another place the final SaGa 2 patch is able to be downloaded from? The patch version I have is outdated (I'm to a point where most of the dialogue I see is in Japanese) and I never had the chance to fix that before this happened...

heratio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was anyone really posting on their forums much the past 2-3 months before this announcement? Was there really that much trolling?

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
heratio said:
Was anyone really posting on their forums much the past 2-3 months before this announcement? Was there really that much trolling?
I normally checked the forums once a day to check for people needing help, and while I never saw much hateful posts there, I do know the board was getting spammed by bots quite a bit towards the end.

Never checked the comment stuff though. And I obviously never saw any PMs and emails they got from jerks either.

qweasd123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Armenius said:
Honestly. What a load of shit.

Neoxephon has "quit" several times since starting up this translation group. I really feel for the poor people he's strung along who have had to keep the projects going and deal with the community getting restless at the fact that there hadn't been any updates in months. Of course a few people are going to be more vocal than others, but most of the folks who posted regularly on CN were pretty reasonable people who were overall very positive about the work being done there.

So you come back, release SaGa 2, disappear for over four months again( with no work done on SaGa 3 according to the forums), and then sabotage your website to get on a soap box and whine about the community. What a "fuck you" to the translation group that's stuck with you and the community that has remained positive through all the wishy-washy-ness.

Hopefully Haven, Cid and the rest find another place to work on translations. I rather enjoyed SaGa 2 and would still love to see SaGa 3.
This.
He is acting like a kid.

Perendie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if much of the trolling happened in the few months in-between? If anything, the forums seemed to be filled with people who were more than courteous in asking how far along the translation was and such. Maybe a few here and there who asked about releases, but they were far from being impatient and rude so much as they were just curious. I'm sorry to hear that it had to come to this, considering all the people involved. I'm sure that for every person who might have complained, there must have been ten others who were just as supportive. It's sad that the former had a greater impact, especially since it just resulted in more disappointment to the people who stood steadfast with the group.

Haha, though in the end, my own selfish investment in this is that I don't want to let the SNX translation die, just because of the hours poured into it. Not to mention, the expectations of people like DeltaBladeX should be given a tribute somewhere. If any group picks it up, I'd be more than willing to help.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm almost positive another group will pick up Summon Night X.

I went to the forum a day or two before it was shut down and I didn't really see anyone being rude. Unless it was via PM, I think Neo quit for different reasons.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Fel said:

If I recall, there are plenty of people in this thread thanking them for SaGa 2. There's no need to bunch the majority who are disappointed in them with the ones badmouthing them. Quitting out of nowhere doesn't just make them look bad, but the romhacking scene, in general. It gives people little hope in other groups. What do you tell those who donated to their group? "Sorry, things got tough."? If they donated after SaGa 2 for SaGa 3 or Summon Night X, they should at least get their money refunded. There are a lot of people who appreciate what they've brought to the scene, but the way they went about it is what's giving them so much heat.

It wouldn't have killed them to get rid of the troublemakers or their posts causing the trouble. Translation forums often do. Making their supporters pay the price for those causing trouble is a big slap in the face to them. I'd be disappointed too if I were them.
That's why I had the "Don't get me wrong" at the the end, to make it clearer for those who wouldn't get my point from the first paragraph that I do not bunch together people who are disappointed or criticize them in a reasonable way (and especially those that thank them - and I noted how it's actually good when people criticize things objectively) with those who come here just to insult them. I was especially ticked off when at a certain post tried to insult their translation of SaGa 2 - they finished it and he's demeaning their work? Urgh!
If it seemed that I condone what the group did - I don't really. Sometimes people buckle up under the stress and quit, but they could have dealt with it a little bit more delicately, at least out of regards to the people who were supporting them (although it is a two-way road, as what they were doing was for the people).

Hey, I just checked this thread again and it's that full of those unreasonable peopleafter all, it probably must have merged with something else I was reading about it at the time. My bad for that! Though what I was saying does apply to those guys in another place then. (the post whhich really ticked me off is here though)

Armenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone has a link to 2.1 and 2.11, I'd appreciate it. Made a thread on a popular gaming forum about this, but linked to their website in the interest of giving credit where it's due. Now that that link is dead, I'd at least like to make it available to anyone who happens upon the thread in the future.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenius said:
If anyone has a link to 2.1 and 2.11, I'd appreciate it. Made a thread on a popular gaming forum about this, but linked to their website in the interest of giving credit where it's due. Now that that link is dead, I'd at least like to make it available to anyone who happens upon the thread in the future.

http://filetrip.net/f23753-SaGa-2-English-2-11.html

exzeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the way i see it:

They might be quitters but at least they managed to finish at least one translation.

At least they did not quit before trying.

or rather trying further wouldn't be of much use to them.They have better things to do like...join a company that specialize in publishing and localizing more japanese games...which they can get paid for.

Knowing when to quit is also important.otherwise they'd be wasting away their life for those who are unappreciative of their contribution.That doesn't sound like a fulfilling life to me.

How many percent of this forum user(or anyone in the world wideweb) managed to pull out a complete translation again?

very small percentage.

Let's see the only full translation(from full japanese to full english) on the DS that i know is:
Soma Bringer
Tales of Innocence
Super Robot Wars J
SaGa 2

...that's it?...

(if i left anything out let me know)

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, this thread is just begging to be closed. So the links to the work they have done are posted. Right?
Enough people have had their say. I am voting for a close. Could someone from Crimson Nocturnal please put any unfinished stuff up (that isn't there already), so we can get done with this?

(yeah slighlty annoyed with the thread, as you do the translation stuff mainly for your own reasons. I don't really care why they quit. But if they are done, then they are done. So stop beating this dead horse, and move on already)

no disrespect to Crimson intended...

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems like a petty thing to do. Considering the internet is always full of assholes, I just have to wonder why people let those fools get to them. When they close up shop like this, those annoying people grin with glee. I guess the people there couldn't handle people on the internet.

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
WildArms said:
And what about the have done so far, will they throw it to the grabage...?

Engrish aside, this. I'm curious to know what they plan to do with all their unfinished efforts so far. Summon Night X for example, had quite a decent amount of work done the last time I checked on it, yet they intend to just throw it away? Sounds like an even more idiotic thing to do; it's like writing a thesis and then ripping it in half because someone disagrees with you. I just hope they choose to either pass the work on to a decent team they trust to complete it, or even continue themselves with a reformed group (obviously without the members who have decided to quit).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @PandaPandel, irl or in the game?