Western Digital - My Passport Elite 500GB

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by astr0z0mb1e, Nov 21, 2010.

Nov 21, 2010
  1. astr0z0mb1e
    OP

Newcomer astr0z0mb1e Member

United States
    Been searching the site & do not see too much about the Elite. more stuff about the essential. Anyways BestBuy has this on sale for $59.99 this week, and I may pick one up if I can use it.

I am just going to format to all FAT32 and use the Backup Manager to add the files. I guess I can also add the Wiiflow files to the HDD and it should be okay. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

WD Elite 500GB

Here is some more info:
    Running 3.2U Wii with latest Cios & Hermes v.5

2. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    i know the wd passport 500 gig works because its my current setup for my wii, as for this elite i cannot garentee, but i don't see why it shouldn't work

3. Sonic0509

Member Sonic0509 Sometimes I'm Maryushi3

Poland
    I have My Passport Essential and it works. WBFS partition always but FAT32 sometimes doesn't work (in HBC).

4. astr0z0mb1e
    OP

United States
    Thanks. Maybe I will just stick with the essential, since many people like that one & seems to work with no problems. Really. Thanks.

PS - Do you think I should just use WBFS & not Fat32 since the HDD will only be for the Wii? Thanks. Also I ahve the latest Wiiflow & it has like 222, 223. 224, 250 etc... should I use one specific on in my apps folder? Thanks.

5. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    everyones going to tell you fat32 but wbfs works just fine and has never let me down on WD hard drives.

6. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    The cool thing about FAT32 is it's an established file system, there are tools for recovering it, if you need to copy anything to or from it you don't need to use any third party tools, just mount the drive in your OS of choice, etc. If anything goes wrong with your WBFS drive and it gets corrupted, what are you gonna do? Depending on whether you kept everything well backed-up, cry probably. Also, FAT32 keeps you open for possibilities like loading homebrew from the drive, running SNEEK/UNEEK+DI and DIOS-MIOS, etc. I'm not really sure what the pros are of WBFS.

7. hybridLearner

Newcomer hybridLearner Advanced Member

United States
    I had been using wbfs for quite some time now, worked great. Recently upgraded hd's and did the new one as fat32 and love it for the reasons listed above. I would totally recommend fat32 as it seems to make everything much simpler.

8. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Elite and Essential are both fine. Elite just looks better and comes with a cheap plasticky dock.

9. astr0z0mb1e
    OP

United States
    Thanks again, any idea which Wiiflow I should install. I DL'ed the 254 beta & I have a few options. I want to add the app to the HDD so I can have space for covers & stuff and not file up the SD card. I have ben looking for tut on how to add it to HDD and what I need to do.

Thanks again.

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i have wd mp 320gb and i have same never any problems using wbfs i even have it parted so i can still use it on my computer for storage etc.