Weekend Discussion: What would you do if games only released in a digital format?

physicalgaem4eva.png

Chances are, if you're a fan of video games, you've more than likely gone to a store to pick up the latest hot fall game release. If not, then you likely have purchased a game online and had it shipped to your door. From the older cardboard boxes housing bulky game carts, to the plastic cases that hold thin game discs, we've seen multiple forms of video games throughout the years. While the form of its delivery has changed, what hasn't changed is the fact that if you want to play a game, you need to get a cart or disc.

That is, unless you buy digitally.

The advent of digital games has changed the entire industry. The previous console gaming generation introduced the idea of being able to download older retro titles, or even smaller indie-developed games by simply connecting to the internet and paying through a digital storefront. Shortly after that, we began to see fully fledged major releases on both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, and later, the Nintendo eShop. During those years, there was a heavy push for being able to have your library of games be playable without even getting up to change the disc. Not everyone was willing to take that step, however, with a large portion of players preferring their beloved boxes. PC gamers might be more at-home with being invested in a digital only library--they're familiar with forgoing physical releases. If you play only on a computer, there's a chance that you may not even own a single hard copy of a game.

To counter the rise of the "digital age", many people were outspoken about only supporting physical releases. This led to small publishers like Limited Run Games becoming incredibly popular, and providing fans with official boxed copies of smaller titles that wouldn't normally be put on such a format.

Even if you do purchase a physical game these days, you might find yourself forced to download it to your system anyway, and in the Nintendo Switch's case, sometimes the full game doesn't even fit on the game cart itself. SD flash storage and HDD prices are falling more and more with each passing year, and it makes going all in on digital gaming a more appealing option. Especially in regards to the Switch, because while it is considered a home console, it also has a portable function, and having to carry multiple cartridges on the go alongside it can be considered cumbersome.

Though a full-digital future isn't imminent--the chances of the next generation of PlayStation and Xbox ditching discs entirely is unlikely--it appears that the industry is certainly trying to move towards that goal. Representatives and analysts from influential companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision all believe that in the next decade, physical games will be a thing of the past. More niche games have even managed to make their way stateside purely on fact that a digital-only version would be much more financially viable, compared to having to release it on store shelves.

What are your thoughts? Have you already made the jump to a digital world? Or are you a collector, and the thought of not being able to buy a physical copy of your favorite games pains you? If such a future time comes and you're forced to play digital-only, will you be okay with that? Let us know in the comments below!

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If I can access it anytime and makes the end price cheaper, yes why not. Pc games price is very cheap these days probably thanks to this trend.

I am more worried if game streaming becoming a thing

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it is only digital. i dont buy it. for example
RE Revlations for ns is in europe only download but in america gamecard and download but i really like that game but it is download only in europe so i dont buy it. :(
hum... buy it online from ebay from america?
You know, switch isn't region locked ;)

D

Deleted-447617

The world's ISPs are not ready for that kind of abuse yet, and with games getting ridiculously huge these days, and devs not giving one fuck about using lossless compression, it seems digital-only distribution for consoles just isn't ready, and won't be for a while (15 to 20 years, realistically). Ant then there's the data caps ISPs put on us too, that also cramp gamers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good thing the Switch is region-free, so you can buy the American game card, and it will work in your Switch.

i know it is region free but i love game out of my own region i dont like to import

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Total crap, I did Google's internet speed test and the results are... hilarious
View attachment 141826
(Sorry for the Spanish text, but it basically says 2.77Mb/s of Download speed and 0.23Mb/s of Upload speed, ultra faaaaaast huh?)
That's why I prefer physical games
nonono
I meant your bandwidth, not your speed
Bandwidth is how much you can download/upload per month
If you peak at 2.77mbps, your bandwidth surely is very low as well, no?
Like, have you spent it whole on one game?

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Idk about steam, but with blizzard, you can buy the game in store
and register the cd key on your battle.net account and download it;)
Yep, all you need is just a code, which you don't have get to any physical stores, just buy them online and you can save something precious like time, energy and fuel :)
Since online stores don't use distributors to delivery packages, neither hire unhappy shop workers paid with minimum wage to handle them on shelves, the prices compared to physical ones are far cheaper! Like 25-35% less :)

Last edited by leon315,

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I like digital on handhelds and physical on consoles. Only time I'll buy digital on console is if it's the only option available, or if it's a multiplayer game I intend to play and support for a long time.
I used to keep all of my retail games but as I got older, and space and money became real life issues, I started to sell all of my disc games the second I beat or 100% them. The majority of games only decrease in value anyway, and how many will you realistically play again the the future, when your available playtime will also become an issue?

I think both formats will stay around for a long time yet, due to consumer choice and worldwide internet infrastructure.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whether we like it or not, this is the future of game distribution. Already done on PC, just a matter of time for consoles. The only people who object are collectors and those who like to resell their games when they are done playing. A solution will be found for the latter eventually, I'm sure, but it won't involve stores like Gamestop. As for slow downloading, we just need a better internet infrastructure internationally, as was mentioned. But it's inevitable that some people will be left out in the cold. Just collateral victims of the digital age.

D

Deleted User

Honnestly, Internet is a worldwide thing
It should be available with high speed everywhere in the world
Country that are too poor for it should require the help of industrialized country
Those who don't have high speed just don't have the correct infrastructures...
food should be cheaply avaliable everywhere worldwide, too
and water, electricity....

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Chances are, if you're a fan of video games, you've more than likely gone to a store to pick up the latest hot fall game release. If not, then you likely have purchased a game online and had it shipped to your door. From the older cardboard boxes housing bulky game carts, to the plastic cases that hold thin game discs, we've seen multiple forms of video games throughout the years. While the form of its delivery has changed, what hasn't changed is the fact that if you want to play a game, you need to get a cart or disc.

That is, unless you buy digitally.

The advent of digital games has changed the entire industry. The previous console gaming generation introduced the idea of being able to download older retro titles, or even smaller indie-developed games by simply connecting to the internet and paying through a digital storefront. Shortly after that, we began to see fully fledged major releases on both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, and later, the Nintendo eShop. During those years, there was a heavy push for being able to have your library of games be playable without even getting up to change the disc. Not everyone was willing to take that step, however, with a large portion of players preferring their beloved boxes. PC gamers might be more at-home with being invested in a digital only library--they're familiar with forgoing physical releases. If you play only on a computer, there's a chance that you may not even own a single hard copy of a game.

To counter the rise of the "digital age", many people were outspoken about only supporting physical releases. This led to small publishers like Limited Run Games becoming incredibly popular, and providing fans with official boxed copies of smaller titles that wouldn't normally be put on such a format.

Even if you do purchase a physical game these days, you might find yourself forced to download it to your system anyway, and in the Nintendo Switch's case, sometimes the full game doesn't even fit on the game cart itself. SD flash storage and HDD prices are falling more and more with each passing year, and it makes going all in on digital gaming a more appealing option. Especially in regards to the Switch, because while it is considered a home console, it also has a portable function, and having to carry multiple cartridges on the go alongside it can be considered cumbersome.

Though a full-digital future isn't imminent--the chances of the next generation of PlayStation and Xbox ditching discs entirely is unlikely--it appears that the industry is certainly trying to move towards that goal. Representatives and analysts from influential companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision all believe that in the next decade, physical games will be a thing of the past. More niche games have even managed to make their way stateside purely on fact that a digital-only version would be much more financially viable, compared to having to release it on store shelves.

What are your thoughts? Have you already made the jump to a digital world? Or are you a collector, and the thought of not being able to buy a physical copy of your favorite games pains you? If such a future time comes and you're forced to play digital-only, will you be okay with that? Let us know in the comments below!
Not having a store presence hurts sales from the younger crowd who typically ask their parents to buy them games when they're out shopping.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Thankfully I have very fast internet where I live (100 Mbps down) so that wouldn't be much of an issue for me. I already have very limited room and only go physical if it has something I want (looks cool etc.)

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I trade, lend, resell... these games?

Which leads to what all of us should do: talk to our own representatives to change the law to mandate that digital purchases can be traded, lent, resold, and transferred, possibly with no help from the game distributors. This should include a legal right to crack any protection scheme to make such a transfer. By far this is should be the biggest change as the actual cost of games will not come down for what is, as you point out, a glorified rental, and it is directly against the concept of First Sale Doctrine.

Of course, I imagine there being a lot of massive protest from the likes of Google, Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, etc. No doubt they'll likely want to cripple access for second-hand games and I imagine at least one would even leave the digital market place entirely (too much concern of enabling piracy). The time for us to act is now. It's blatantly clear that companies are not willingly going to enforce the legal rights of users.

D

Deleted User

If it´s pure cloud gaming I would probably stop playing and stick to let´s plays on youtube.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Physical games are nice to look at, and a lot of people like keeping a shelf of them. Stores can have individual sales on them that only apply to that store, meaning you could possibly get special discounts. You also can’t buy digital games from someone. But you can get a used physical game for cheaper than new, sometimes even half off. I don’t see why they’d want digital only. A lot of people in this thread would complain about that because of the size of digital games and the internet speed they have.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What was funny a while ago on my ISP
is that you could get 30mbps for 55$/month
you also get like 150gb of bandwidth
so if you want unlimited bandwdith, it's an additional 15$/month
for a total of 70$/month
However, for 4 more bucks per month, you get 120mbps with unlimited bandwidth included :)

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
nonono
I meant your bandwidth, not your speed
Bandwidth is how much you can download/upload per month
If you peak at 2.77mbps, your bandwidth surely is very low as well, no?
Like, have you spent it whole on one game?
Well, idk about that
But my family and I have been downloading stuff (movies and games) for an entire month without a noticeable change in speed

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, idk about that
But my family and I have been downloading stuff (movies and games) for an entire month without a noticeable change in speed
again, it has nothing to do with speed
its the amount of GB you can upload/download within a month
If you exceed it, you get heavily charged for additional gb you use
Here, it's like 5$/exceeded gb...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yes