Weekend Discussion: What "dream game" would you want to see get announced?

review_banffner_base_new.png

The gaming industry outputs hundreds upon thousands of games each year, with all sorts of different varieties of genres and concepts to choose from. Selections such as AAA major title entries, niche lesser-known games, independent games, and everything in between. With so many options, there's bound to be something that every person can wholeheartedly enjoy. This brings about the question of what game you love the most, and what remake, sequel, revival, or revolutionary creation you'd want to see in the future. In the past few years, we've seen quite the number of hard to believe reveals, ranging from the remake of the beloved Final Fantasy VII, a spiritual successor to Castlevania: SOTN, a sequel to Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption, a long-awaited revival of the Shenmue series, a tease for Elder Scrolls VI, a new title from The Witcher devs: Cyberpunk 2077, Kingdom Hearts III, the announcement of Metroid Prime 4, a new Smash Bros., and so many more.

Does this future lineup sate your desires, or is there something you long to see get announced at one of the many gaming trade shows, like E3, Gamescom, or Tokyo Game Show? Perhaps an ancient JRPG series that you want to finally get a western release? Or maybe something that could no longer be created, due to the developers having shut down, but still a game you'd still want to see happen one day, despite the odds? A franchise buried by years past, ignored by its IP owner? Even worse, a series that was once great, yet fell from grace, that you want to see returned to its former glory?

Even with so many games releasing per year, that doesn't mean the well of ideas is dry, either. There could be an idea for a game that you've had for ages, but has never come close to being a real game. What are your thoughts? Is there a specific idea or game that would make your dreams come true, if it were to be announced? Let us know in the comments below!

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
honestly? another resident evil game or any kind of 3D shooter for the 3DS and if not, a portable that is actually portable

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Portal 3 Black Mesa? What? Black Mesa was nuked. That would be a stupid subtitle. I agree with Metroid 5 though.
My dream games are:
  1. Half Life 3 (obviously)
  2. Mother 4: Porky's Revenge
  3. Bioshock: Gone Home 2
  4. Ghost Trick: Sausage Head Origins
  5. Chrono Trigger 2: The Real Sequel
  6. Rocksteady's Superman game
Yes yes yes yes yes yes!
HL3 and P3 are probably the same thing at this point.

Also that reminds me: Left4Dead 3 might be cool too. Probably it's sitting in the same bucket as P3/HL3/TF3 though.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 3.
1) Half Life 3 + Portal 3 (I too, will keep dreaming)
2) Demon's Souls Remastered (Same engine with the Northern Limits/ 6th Archstone added)
3) ICO Remastered (In the same vain has the Sotc Remake)

Last edited by Stephano,
Reactions: Deleted User

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'd like a new Nintendo's IP, or even better not any character that they'll reuse, ever. they are only caring about their existing ones, and I have more than enough of all the same games. they don't invent or do games anymore, they just make sequels and remakes and same characters cameo everywhere (smash bros?)... that's so boring.
just make games which are not based on anything else.

edit:
I don't know, make a shoot'em up, there's no IP to recycle, just a ship and levels. make it fun, that's all.
FPS, games like Myst, games like Cthulhu, games like last of us, Oxenfree, Dex, at least other developers have ideas and try new things instead of using 30 years old characters.
ok. Arms was new. not a lot of new games, one every decade.
edit2: yeahh, there are also the cardboard idea... not our age range, but the idea was there.

Last edited by Cyan,

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Quite a few :
- Megaman Starforce
- Megaman Battle Network
- Official localisation of The Great Ace Attorney (1&2)
- Etrian Odyssey Untold 3 and localisation of Mystery Dungeon 2

Reactions: KingVamp

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like things which are designed like board games, which is to say all the maths and logic underpinning them is well understood. Computer games typically lack this and instead brute force their way to a solution/playable game.

At this point I am not really gagging for a sequel/remake of anything in particular so I will leave that. Time was I might have but I have been burned too much. I saw advance wars mentioned earlier and while I will take one I will just as happily take any similar type of game that is good. I am certainly not wasting a dream game on a Valve sequel.

I truly miss local co-op dungeon crawlers and western style RPGs. Don't know if they have quite reached "only in a dream" status just yet but it is close. Maybe if they combined a good one of those with borderlands and kept the excesses of the sequels in check I would have something that sucks down far too many hours.

Space sims as well. While we have had a few they have kind of been taken over by whatever the computer game equivalent of rules lawyers and pedants are.

Wouldn't mind a decent fun kart racer (basically chuck Mario Kart out and forget it, make something good from the ground on up).

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have any specific wishes what with Shenmue III out of the way, save for a S3 & K Taxman port bundled with the previous 1 & 2 re-released on PS4 as a definitive trilogy.

What I'd really like to see is that big next-gen title that truly feels fresh and unique in the same way that something like GTA III or Half-Life 2 did when they were revealed. I think a game with a true leap-forward in AI would scratch that itch, but that's likely held back by this gen's underpowered CPU's. Everything just feels so samey and repetitive these days.

I suppose to answer the question I really don't know what I want and I think that's a good thing.

Reactions: RattletraPM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    cearp @ cearp: It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space +1