Hacking WD My Passport Essentials clicking, drive not recognised

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Ive also had bad experiences with WD discs. Mainly internal discs though.
All my WD discs have thrown in the towel, while my old 160gb samsung(ide) and 180gb seagate(ide) are still working fine, and they are older than any of my WD discs.

The only WD discs I find reliable are the raptors.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Sorry to hear that. Hiren boot can mount USB devices if you choose "USB for DOS ..." then choose the 1st option (panasonic mass driver I think), unplug all the USB devices and reconnect them, press enter, and USB drivers should work under HDD regenerator (I've saved a few, killed some others)

And yes, clicking HDD = death. 2 days ago my sister's netbook stopped working (bsod, freezes), upon 2 continuous days of HDD regenerator the HDD clicks could be heard from the bathroom. So ... screw that.

Cilph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I doubt WBM can demolish a harddrive when it's just using standard read/write routines available by the OS.
there have been many post with WBM messing up harddrives (fragmenting the info). to me this is one reason why loaders an others are moving away from wbfs format, an moving on to ntfs/fat32. fat32 impo is a more stable the either but each to his own.

I don't doubt that WBM can mess up -data- (corrupting, etc), but not physically demolish a drive.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try a few different USB cables. I've had exactly the same symptoms with a cable that used to work... they seem to get a bit fussy after a while.

I remember seeing another person on here also solve the same problem with a different usb cable.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Recent changes

0.4.4 build 76

|-Added: Menu item on drive pages, "Tools->FAT32/NTFS->Repair WBFS files". This will fix most problems that cause games to show as invalid in WBM. For example, the corrupt WBFS header caused by the renaming bug below and also WBFS files that haven't been trimmed correctly.
|-Added: "Tools->WBFS->Recovery mode" now also works with WBFS files. If you have invalid entries in the list, this will allow you to transfer the games to another drive or ISO/CISO which will repair them.
|-Fixed: A serious issue with title renaming that caused corrupt WBFS files. By not rewriting the WBFS header when renaming the title, it removes the possibility of the header getting corrupt. It doesn't need rewritten anyway, so the code shouldn't have been there.
|-Fixed: (Issue #0000006) In WIndows XP, the visual styles cause the files list to turn black.
|-Fixed: (Issue #0000004) When I made some changes from WiiTDB to GameTDB, I missed the titles colour entry in the setting dialog. Because it used WiiTDB and the code expected GameTDB, the colour couldn't be edited

This is not about wbfs partitions, it's about .wbfs files. So it also applies to FAT 32 Drives.
It'sapposed to been fixed in the latest version of WBM.

This problem happened to me 2 times.
Once on a WBFS Partiton ( unable to fix by me ) And once on a FAT 32 Partiton wich I was able to fix but lost A LOT OF data.
So No doubt WBM is the cause.

Cilph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Recent changes

0.4.4 build 76

|-Added: Menu item on drive pages, "Tools->FAT32/NTFS->Repair WBFS files". This will fix most problems that cause games to show as invalid in WBM. For example, the corrupt WBFS header caused by the renaming bug below and also WBFS files that haven't been trimmed correctly.
|-Added: "Tools->WBFS->Recovery mode" now also works with WBFS files. If you have invalid entries in the list, this will allow you to transfer the games to another drive or ISO/CISO which will repair them.
|-Fixed: A serious issue with title renaming that caused corrupt WBFS files. By not rewriting the WBFS header when renaming the title, it removes the possibility of the header getting corrupt. It doesn't need rewritten anyway, so the code shouldn't have been there.
|-Fixed: (Issue #0000006) In WIndows XP, the visual styles cause the files list to turn black.
|-Fixed: (Issue #0000004) When I made some changes from WiiTDB to GameTDB, I missed the titles colour entry in the setting dialog. Because it used WiiTDB and the code expected GameTDB, the colour couldn't be edited

This is not about wbfs partitions, it's about .wbfs files. So it also applies to FAT 32 Drives.
It'sapposed to been fixed in the latest version of WBM.

This problem happened to me 2 times.
Once on a WBFS Partiton ( unable to fix by me ) And once on a FAT 32 Partiton wich I was able to fix but lost A LOT OF data.
So No doubt WBM is the cause.

For the umpteenth time, this is data corruption. It does not cause a harddrive to begin clicking and playing its own requiem.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right click my computer and click manage and then click disk drive management just to make sure windows isnt seeing it .... you may have to assign a drive letter to it

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your Hard drive is clicking then its has failed. You will have to get a new drive and install all games again.
Make sure you archive the games in zips on dvd-r so you dont have to get them all again.dvd-r dont crash.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well ... recordable optical discs might not crash ... instead they "rust".

Tried reading some cdr/ dvdr from 5 years ago? Or from 10 or 15.
These things are the worst medium for backups. Maybe appart from floppys.
Don't use them for anything that is important or should still be ther in >2a.

Harddrives are much more reliable and cheaper at the same time.

Besides copying from them wold hardly be faster than reripping.
And why as zip? If you simply burn the image normally you could play them too.

junkerde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
happened to me and i lost ALL my important files (depresssing times lol). your out of luck unless you wanna pay near $800 dollars for recovery services (the people i contacted did an estimate on how much it would cost). clicking means the spindle must be broken. its dead.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah dvd-r discs do rot given enough time. But if one disc becomes unreadable its a lot easier to replace
then a 1TB hard drive that fails. I have cd-rs from 1998 and dvd-rs from 2004 and they all still work with out errors.
I guess it all depends on media quality and storage. I use Verbatim dvd-r's and Memorex dvd+r DL. Verbatim dvd-r
are rated First class manufactured media (MCC03RG20 factory ID). by zips i ment it as a way of archiving them. when games are scrubbed they become smaller when rared/zipped. All games i download get archived in rars/zips and placed on dvd-r.
I currently have 610 wii games archived on 200 dvd-r discs and a list to tell me what disc each game is on.

Hard drives are cheaper but when they fail they take everything with them.

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah dvd-r discs do rot given enough time. But if one disc becomes unreadable its a lot easier to replace
then a 1TB hard drive that fails. I have cd-rs from 1998 and dvd-rs from 2004 and they all still work with out errors.
I guess it all depends on media quality and storage. I use Verbatim dvd-r's and Memorex dvd+r DL. Verbatim dvd-r
are rated First class manufactured media (MCC03RG20 factory ID). by zips i ment it as a way of archiving them. when games are scrubbed they become smaller when rared/zipped. All games i download get archived in rars/zips and placed on dvd-r.
I currently have 610 wii games archived on 200 dvd-r discs and a list to tell me what disc each game is on.

Hard drives are cheaper but when they fail they take everything with them.

Unless you get two HDDs so if one fails you replace it. 3TB WD Elements drives are $120 US now. Why on earth would you burn discs? You can also back your other data up other than Wii games. There is no comparison.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I burn discs for the same reasons stated above. I like the simplicity of them. They have no moving parts no integrated circuits, the drives are cheap and plentiful, dvd-r Media is inexpensive, and they are immune to EMP. Hard Drives are great for backing up data that is always changing. I use them when making backups of all my windows drives. As for wii games they never change. There is a difference between backing up and Archiving. Only the games i want to play i place on my WBFS drive.

Hard drives are very Cheap. but then again so is 100 verbatim dvd-r for $14.99.
Hard drives have the highest failure rate. This is why they have a 3-5 year warranty. I wish i was able to use Magneto Optical discs or Tape backups like corporations do but they are really expensive.

Flash Memory is the worst to backup or archive. Usb Flash drives are manufactured so cheap. Just running linux off a 4 gig flash drive will kill it. When a flash device fails you will never recover the data. At least when a hard drive fails the data can be recovered by replacing the heads/spindle motors. When a NAND Flash chip fails you cant open the chip read the data.

Yall can choose to backup how ever you want to. I was just letting the users know a sound way of archiving wii games. I have been archiving on cd and dvd for 14 years now and i find it quite reliable. As long as the dvd-r are stored in their spindles and away from moisture and heat/cold they should last 15+ years. Very few hard drives last 15 years. although i got a old 42 meg seagate drive that still works lol.

So the solution is to have all your wii games somewhere else besides on the drive you play them on.
BTW how many games were on your drive that failed?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Flash Memory is the worst to backup or archive. Usb Flash drives are manufactured so cheap. Just running linux off a 4 gig flash drive will kill it. When a flash device fails you will never recover the data. At least when a hard drive fails the data can be recovered by replacing the heads/spindle motors. When a NAND Flash chip fails you cant open the chip read the data.

Im sorry but... WHAT? Ive run linux on a usb flash drive for... *checks uptime*... 2 and a half year. It runs as a webserver and therefore writes and reads a lot.
Yes, flashdrives has a limited read/write lifetime, but its so high it would take years of constant writing to kill it. Putting an HDD next to a flashdrive, then stresswrite to both of them, I can almost guarantee the HDD will die first.

Also, there are plenty of ways of recovering data from a NAND chip. Just because you cant do it doesnt mean its not possible. Yes, its a lot more advanced than recovering data from an HDD, but its far from impossible.

Cilph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Since when do backups ever reach high read/write cycles? They're backups. If you're doing your job well they aren't even going to be read. The flash controller takes care of wear leveling and invalid blocks. You seem to be highly exaggerating the flaws of flash; Yes it has lower read cycles than say a CD or HDD, but it's still years of continuous use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety