Hacking questions regarding usb0 & usb1 ports

idlewild

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I haven't really kept up with the Nintendo homebrew scene in a few years and I'm trying to get back into it but running into issues with two separate consoles and forum search/google don't seem to be bringing up any useful results.

Scenario #1:
I had a friend bring me his old Wii with a busted usb0 port (usb0 is the closest to the edge of the console, right?) and a WD hard drive with a handful of Wii titles saved on a WBFS partition, asking if I could update everything and see if I could get the system to read games off the hard drive if it's plugged into usb1. I made sure d2x v10 beta52 was installed properly, set him up with a handful of emulators and a few Wii games with WiiFlow on a 32gb sd card for now, but I can't seem to figure out a way to get his drive (or one of my newer ntfs-formatted drives) to run Wii games when plugged into usb1. If I use one of my ntfs drives with all of my other homebrew saved on it, HBC recognizes the drive and can run homebrew applications and emulators and whatnot off of it, but WiiFlow and USB Loader GX just won't recognize the drive. Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Scenario #2:
Kind of similar to scenario #1. This is my personal Wii.
Years ago I had a single external HDD plugged into my Wii. It had one NTFS partition containing .wbfs files to launch through USB Loader GX or WiiFlow, and one FAT32 partition containing everything else- the HBC apps folder, NES/SNES/N64/Game Boy etc games, and a folder of GameCube ISOs to launch via Nintendont.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I could've sworn I had everything set up in a way that I was able to launch GC and Wii titles from this drive without having to physically switch which usb port the drive was plugged into depending on what I was wanting to play (usb0 for Wii, usb1 for GC. other homebrew apps still worked either way), but as far as I can tell I have everything set up exactly as I did before with the hard drive, but after following the basic steps provided on wii dot guide (I'm a new user here and not allowed to post links yet lol) and installing d2x etc, I just can't seem to make this work.
If I have the drive plugged into usb0, WiiFlow will run Wii titles with no issue, and WiiFlow will show the GameCube titles, but if I try to run one of them it shuts the console off, and if I try to run one with Nintendont it appears to load but then I get a generic "an error has occured, please shut off the console etc" message.
If I have the drive plugged into usb1, I can run GameCube games with Nintendont, but WiiFlow and USB Loader GX don't recognize that the drive is plugged in.
Like I said, maybe I'm misremembering and I actually had two separate external drives before, but I really thought I had a way to run everything off of a single drive without having to get up and change the usb port every time I wanted to go from a Wii game to a GameCube game and vice versa.
Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

*as I finish up this post I realize it may have been helpful to include syscheck info for both consoles but I am currently at work unable to do that. If needed I can upload those in a few hours when I get back home

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
d2x only support port 0. Usb loader gx you might try ios 58 as loader ios wich also support drives on port 1. External drives with usb loaders are tricky. I recommend one partition fat32, no multiple partitions. I have written extra this guide for getting a working stable setup -> USB Loader GX Troubleshooting guide

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back