Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello

Something just happened, I'll explain and please tell me if I was actually rude or not...?

I was waiting for the bus... waiting... and waiting... the bus arrived... 15 minutes late
So I asked the driver "Is it normal the bus is late?"
He told me "Well, it's because of the snowstorm"
So I answered "I'm sorry if I'm rude but... well... welcome to Quebec" and I started to laugh

I told him that because, well, it was VERY FAR from being an actual storm lol...

Do you guys think I was rude by saying "welcome to quebec"?

Reactions: impeeza

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Something just happened, I'll explain and please tell me if I was actually rude or not...?

I was waiting for the bus... waiting... and waiting... the bus arrived... 15 minutes late
So I answered "I'm sorry if I'm rude but... well... welcome to Quebec" and I started to laugh

I told him that because, well, it was VERY FAR from being an actual storm lol...

Personally I don't think that sounds rude to me, just depends on the context.

Last edited by SylverReZ,
Reactions: BigOnYa

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally I don't think that sounds rude.
Well, to put you in context
If you were from scottland for example, and there's something VERY normal happening there, and someone is like "wtf is that"
Would it be rude for you to say "Welcome to scottland" and start laughing?
Because that's pretty much what i did :P

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello

At least you have a lot of snows so enjoy bud.

1674771999950.png

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, to put you in context
If you were from scottland for example, and there's something VERY normal happening there, and someone is like "wtf is that"
Would it be rude for you to say "Welcome to scottland" and start laughing?
Because that's pretty much what i did :P
Ah, now I understand.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in Ohio, and here we have a saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait till tomorrow." Our weather can go from snow one day to sun and spring temps the next day, it changes alot. But today we do have a few inches of snow.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Kind of, depends on the exact circumstances, the driver could have simply felt unsafe driving at a faster speed.

Although my standards will be skewed because of the bus service where I live. Last time we had snow, they just skipped my stop entirely because it’s at the top of a hill, even though the road wasn’t that bad by this point and it wasn’t that steep.

Being late/cancelled is also not that uncommon, a couple of days before last Christmas I was delighted when the bus was a no show when it was raining so I had to walk in.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends, was the guy a white dude speaking french?

If not then he could have interpreted it as xenophobia

• Haha

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello

I'm sent you Juanita next time you being rude to people

monkey-fight.gif

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Well, firstly if you say "I'm sorry if I'm rude" its going to put the recipient on guard and potentially make something that would otherwise be pretty innocent sound rude.

Secondly the wording of the main subject is a little strange; "welcome to {somewhere}" is generally used, either in a positive or negative manner, to suggest that what you're currently seeing is considered the norm:

"It's been raining every day since I arrived"
"Welcome to Scotland"

"Wow there's pizza's everywhere"
"Welcome to Thailand"

If I'd been in that conversation with you, I'd assume that by saying "welcome to Quebec", you were suggesting that the buses are always late whenever it's snowing. I'd have then gone on to wonder why you felt the need to ask if you apparently knew the answer anyway.

I'd most likey be confused, then, rather than offended. I might reason that you were just awkwardly trying to make light conversation and had confused yourself in the process.

The trouble is, by mixing up your phrasing in such a way, the reaction from the third party will be based on how they've interpreted what you said. So it's difficult to tell what exactly they thought you meant, and therefore difficult to say if they would have been offended at what they believed you were trying to say.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
A better phrase to use to convey what you wanted would have been something like "storm? Hah you've not been here very long have you?". That would convey the idea that this isn't considered a storm by yourself, and others around.

Obviously this could lead to offence if the way it is delivered appears harsh, or in fact if the person who you're talking to has been around a long time.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello

nop, it's just a little sarcarsm to make a joke, that are the good ones. but on this new "offended by everything" culture you never know. some day a "karen" get mad at me because I was eating a pork sandwich and "she get offended because his daugther -who was no there!- is vegan", this is a mad world.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...