Hacking /!\WARNING/!\ Youtube + SX OS Video = Strike

Aldoria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just saw Nintendo striked one of my video talking about SX OS, and i thought it was just for me. But by visiting channel that also had video talking about sx os, they are gone. So if you have a youtube channel, i'm telling you : don't do videos about SX OS if you don't want to be striked

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Kind of obvious WHY they do it, i mean it's a tool used for piracy, specifically to pirate THEIR console. I this specific case it's actually very unclear if free use applies or not

Reactions: HideoKojima

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: hatredg0d

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Aldoria

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As long as you don't feature any kind of gameplay of sorts, Nintendo can't do shit about videos with SX OS on the system.
Fight hard for the videos, Nintendo is going too fucking hard on this and they have NO legal grounds to do this.
You are not infringing any kind of copyright, EULA or any law.

Fuck Nintendo in the ass, show them they are not above the law.
They can't and should not do this.

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're going after @Nevercholt, too. He has all kind of tutorials. I recommend removing/editing this video as it might cause your third strike. They seem to have their hunters out, manually looking for that stuff. Those things {N} will get you for video, sounds AND images @1:00.

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you don't feature any kind of gameplay of sorts, Nintendo can't do shit about videos with SX OS on the system.
Fight hard for the videos, Nintendo is going too fucking hard on this and they have NO legal grounds to do this.

This was my point, if they contain game footage of any kind they'll likely pull it if you're not a top/high YT channel

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Technically they can. The menu layout is still their intellectual property

That said, tutorials generally speaking fall under fair use

Reactions: SaffronXL

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Technically they can. The menu layout is still their intellectual property

That said, tutorials generally speaking fall under fair use
Copyright of a menu layout?
Really?
I don't know, but that doesn't seem to fall under any kind of copyright law.

In any case, tutorials and such are under fair use, and they have NO ground to hold in this.
They can't shut down videos just because someone talks about the SX OS.
If you mention where to get the ROMs from, they yeah perhaps, but if not and you simply explain how to use it, they cannot do it.

Claim the video back, and counter Nintendo with their bullshit.
I had it with their anti-homebrew shit already, they need to stop now.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

It's software AND hardware designed to hack and illegally modify something they own(The Switch). Pretty sure the law is on THEIR side on this one

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's software AND hardware designed to hack and illegally modify something they own(The Switch). Pretty sure the law is on THEIR side on this one
Sorry but no.
The law has already been modified to serve the user in this kind of case.
You can modify the hardware and software to whatever as long as it doesn't imply directly that it will be used for piracy.
You own the device once you buy it, the only thing that is not bough is the services the device itself has tied to it, which is where the EULA enters.
They are even forced to keep the warranty alive even in the case of a hardmod, as long as the issue itself is not a derivative of the hardmod itself.

You can make a video of the SX OS, it doesn't mean you are condoning piracy in any kind.
You can simply explain how to use it and so, and they can't take down the video just because you are showcasing how to use a modchip or even a softmod.

Nintendo is just doing iffy shit and it's going into bare illegal territory.
Just because they sell you the console means they will have to ask you how to treat it and what to do and not to do with it.

What's next?
People that make tear-down videos getting their videos taken down just because Nintendo doesn't like it?
I just hope people start realizing that they are playing around with shit that is going above the client's own rights.

Nevercholt

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This Nintendo shit indeed also goes around at my channel. The stupid part is that they striked my SX OS video, in which I didn't show gameplay at all.... You can send a message to YouTube but they rejected mine.... YouTube's reporting system is shit and Nintendo is shit as well. One of my striked videos had 1 sec Pokemon gameplay and got striked for that I guess... So fked up since there are A LOT of gameplay channels on YouTube going through entire Pokemon series but because I also include the Switch hacking videos they strike my gameplay of course........

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's AP page (which is legal facing and written by lawyers, rather than public facing and written by/as PR) now defines SX and SX OS as a piracy tool for DRM circumvention. It is not even remotely defined as homebrew tool (note, Nintendo makes no mention or classification for other CFW options as they are purely software and, for Nintendo, probably considered insignificant compared to a packaged good).

YouTube won't side with the user, the tool is strictly illegal by Nintendo's definition and would violate YouTube's policies as it shows DRM circumvention, regardless of whether or not you show it being deliberately used for piracy (and when common sense says 99% of usage is piracy). Until someone challenges Nintendo to a court case (be aware Nintendo has been winning a ton of flashcart cases all over, and they classify SX/OS as a similar tool so they have precedent in market's they've already won in) and prove otherwise, SX OS is basically poison.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over