Hardware Warning - Wiikey SD Adapter

wiimanofthenorth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a Wiikey SD Adapter recently. The damn thing got stuck in my Wii. I had to yank it out. Which bent the springs inside the Wii the wrong way. Luckily I managed to push them back down.

The problem comes from that the Wiikey SD Adapter has a lip which gets stuck on the springs. I've found that breaking off the that whole lip area, still allows it to fit fine into the Wii.

Still need to get Swiss working to know if it works though! Thankfully I do know that normal GC mem cards do still work in that port!

Just thought I'd give out a warning though!

conanac

Be an Angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiimanofthenorth said:
Cheers... When I can get Swiss going, and if it turns out this current one doesn't work. I'll grab one from there!

I use Wiikey SD adapter (the package labelled as WiSD Memory Adapter) that I recently got from DealExtreme and it works fine for Swiss (e.g. Pokemon Box, Harvest Moon games work great). And so far, no issue for inserting and removing from the memory slot. With a cheap product, there could be more possibility of defect product being shipped (if the manufacturer does not spend much in quality control). Thanks for the warning.

FYI, my configuration is Wii SM 4.3U without custom IOS or MIOS, and I use SD Media Launcher to launch Swiss (but I do not use the adapter from SD Media Launcher since it is not compatible for SD-Boot, so I assume it may not be compatible as well for Swiss, have not tried/test it directly though).

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Whilst I appreciate the warning. Where are there springs in the gamecube memory card ports? unless you mean the contacts? You sure you didn't put it in upside down?

wiimanofthenorth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@conanac: I've got Swiss working now. I use Wiipower's booter. And I've now created a channel as well. http://gbatemp.net/t280073-swiss-forwarder-channel Thanks for the advice though!

@Donkey Plonk: No I never put it in upside down, because I would have had to smack it with a hammer to get the card in. Since both openings are different shapes! So there isn't even a chance of getting the card all the way in the wrong way around anyways.

The male part of the gamecube port has you've already stated has contacts on one side of it. But on the other side of that same male part of the port are two flap springs. These flaps have little bumps on them. This is to help force the edge connectors on the memory card to rest against the edge connectors of the male part of the gamecube port.

The little bumps had become stuck against the inside lip of the convertor I used. Because of this it wasn't possible to get the card back out again, without using a lot of force. The real GC memory card that I have, doesn't have such a lip. So I had never had that problem before.

You can quiet easily see the start of the two flap springs that run up the male part of the port. If you look at the ports so that they look like very flat Us, the springs are on the underside of the bottom part of the U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade