Hacking WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
this is just pseudo code, the brick() name even is their own invention, and its existence and the intentionality of it is unsubstantiated by any evidence as of yet.

the fact that they could have added a few hex offsets as proof, which would've taken 10 seconds, but neglected to do so, speaks volumes in my opinion.

Well, the function does brick the console by corrupting it's eMMC. What would you want yellows8 to call it ? fart() ? Seriously...

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would never buy a product by such an unknown Team. I did not even think of buying a ps3 dongle and waited for the jailbreak instead (which was the best solution!) and I am certainly not buying a GW now! Either a free solution or a product made by a reputable Team.

feebmc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I own a gateway and wouldn't complain about it if my 3ds bricked due to the ethics of the using such a device. Regardless of how this turns out (whether the Gateway team put the effort into comprehensive testing of the risks involved with this approach or not). If shows that the clone teams lack the skill or time to be able to keep up with stealing gateways work, so it probably isn't the best idea using a clone device from a team not capable of making its own code.

If I was to buy a clone, I can at least respect MT-Card they stole some of gateways old code for sure but I don't think its a coincidence that a team that was able to offer a new feature was smart enough not to steal a bunch of code they had yet to fully understand, even if it cost them fast sales. Hopefully this whole mess leaves only companies capable of innovating competing against each other.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There are conspiracy theories and then there are conspiracy theories. As "conspiracy theories" go, as explained, this isn't far fetched at all:

1) it involves a quite limited amount of individuals (a handful of developers)
2) they form a tight-knit group which (if true) is in fact _already_ a criminal conspiracy involved in facilitating piracy
3) in a position of authority on a very technical issue, easily abused to confound laymen about matters they are unable to ever verify themselves
4) at least one person of this potential group has been proven to be involved in facilitating piracy in the past (Neimod)

Reactions: escherbach

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
buy your fucking Games <3

This is what Nintendo was everyone warning about:

Some dumb pirate-cards, that fucks up the system.

Not Gateway's problem. If some of you Guys Simply Buy the Games (No, i mean NOT 1 GAME/YEAR!), this Problem wont matter.

Or are (most of)you still telling me you wanna play homebrew? <3
Says the king of pirates himself :mthr:

Reactions: gamefan5

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
There are conspiracy theories and then there are conspiracy theories. As "conspiracy theories" go, as explained, this isn't far fetched at all:

2) they form a tight-knit group which (if true) is in fact _already_ a criminal conspiracy involved in facilitating piracy
3) in a position of authority on a very technical issue, easily abused to confound laymen about matters they are unable to ever verify themselves
4) at least one person of this potential group has been proven to be involved in facilitating piracy in the past (Neimod)

What's your explanation for all those bluescreen posts that have been appearing since Friday, then? Is the turkish technician guy a shill too? And the others who have posted photos?

Jean Karlo

Hacker Aspirant!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There it's always a risk when you modify your console. Being it by software or hardware.. people always put it first on their tutorials: "I take no responsibility for what may happen to your console"
If you use any "backup" device, you risk your console. if you use a modified launcher, you risk your console. Now a days you use the flashcard given by the "original" team and it's software and You risk your console.
You don't have a choice! the only thing you can choose! It's what you are risking it for!

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

What, you mean the one's posted by a bunch of newly created accounts? Couldn't be a certain "handful of developers" stirring up controversy or anything.

Why would anyone do that?

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
What, you mean the one's posted by a bunch of newly created accounts? Couldn't be a certain "handful of developers" stirring up controversy or anything.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/bricked-3ds-xl-help.360464/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-blue-screen-bootrom-8046-error-r4i-deluxe-3dslink.360502/
http://imgur.com/a/TXVhs
http://gbatemp.net/threads/bricked-3ds-xl-help.360464/page-3#post-4881945
etc...
2007/8 isn't exactly newly created in my book. Are they bribing random forum members now, too?

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Hum... actually they have a sanity check I forgot about within their ROP chain as they perform a checksum before the payload runs and the bricking happens, so it cannot run a corrupted payload from a Launcher.dat, thus the code causing the brick cannot run as-is from the original Launcher.dat file if that one was to be corrupt.

sha256_update(0x002B3344, 0x002B3924, 0x00000BAC);

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol