Hacking Gateway and B9S Luma

wongf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, I purchased by 3DS back in 2014. My model was in system 4.4.0. Back then I used Gateway flashcard and mostly every game worked like a charm, but these days a lot of the new ones just won't work. I googled and found out that there was a new custom firmware called Luma and I figured, maybe I should try this. I haven't been playing the console for a long time and thought that this will change things up.

So I followed the tutorial down at 3ds.guide. I backed up the contents of my SD Card, which has the Gateway launcher.dat in it and my save datas.
Then, I followed the tutorial and copied all the required files, including a new Launcher.dat, which overwrites the old one (the Gateway one).
I'm about halfway through the tutorial now and it prompts me to update the system.
I got scared coz before when I was installing Gateway, they warned me that if I update the system to above 4.5, I wouldn't be able to use the flashcart anymore. I tried switching SD card (to the one which contains all the old data before it was added with B9S and Luma datas), but the 3DS just doesn't want to start.

Note that I went throught the tutorial to copy EMUNAND to my SysNAND, but halfway through the tutorial something didn't add up. I was told to:
Hold (R) and press (A) at the same time on 00030004 to select the folder, then select “Copy to 0:/gm9/out”
but I couldnt find the '0030004'. Instead I found '0030005' and '003000f' and copied both instead of the stated '0030004'.

When it prompted me to
  1. Navigate to [E:] EMUNAND VIRTUAL
I couldn't find the option. I didn't mind not having all the files and saves from my Gateway so I just went through to the next steps of the tutorial.
So, I updated my system.

However, after I try to finish the installation, I got an error. I am having an error installing it on the stage of installing CIA files through the FBI homebrew application.
FAILED TO INSTALL CIA FILE
RESULT CODE: 0XC8E08001
LEVEL: STATUS (25)
SUMMARY: INVALID ARGUMENT (7)
MODULE: AM (32)
DESC: <UNKNOWN> (1)

1. Is it possible to undo all this and use my Gateway flashcart back?
2. I thought my only option was to finish the tutorial and install Luma? Does this mean after installing Luma I can never use Gateway flashcart again?
3. If i have to install Luma, how to finish installing it?

Thank you!

Last edited by wongf,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You may not have been using an emuNAND at all. You should have backed up your saves before installing B9S, but you can still get Gateway working again so you can back up the saves.

Last step and third last step are optional but recommended

Last edited by Quantumcat,

wongf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi thank you for your reply!

Am I getting it right, that if I follow the steps, I can use the Gateway on Luma and I will not need the Gateway cartridge anymore?
One question , is there any advantage of using Gateway when I already have Luma on my 3DS?

Thanks!

You may not have been using an emuNAND at all. You should have backed up your saves before installing B9S, but you can still get Gateway working again so you can back up the saves.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

Am I getting it right, that if I follow the steps, I can use the Gateway on Luma and I will not need the Gateway cartridge anymore?
One question , is there any advantage of using Gateway when I already have Luma on my 3DS?

Thanks!
You won't be using Gateway on Luma, you won't be using Gateway at all. And yep you won't need your cartridge, you can install all the games you'd like to play.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

It's much easier to use this to convert the saves: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-save-export-helper.465503/

Hello there, I purchased by 3DS back in 2014. My model was in system 4.4.0. Back then I used Gateway flashcard and mostly every game worked like a charm, but these days a lot of the new ones just won't work. I googled and found out that there was a new custom firmware called Luma and I figured, maybe I should try this. I haven't been playing the console for a long time and thought that this will change things up.

So I followed the tutorial down at 3ds.guide. I backed up the contents of my SD Card, which has the Gateway launcher.dat in it and my save datas.
Then, I followed the tutorial and copied all the required files, including a new Launcher.dat, which overwrites the old one (the Gateway one).
I'm about halfway through the tutorial now and it prompts me to update the system.
I got scared coz before when I was installing Gateway, they warned me that if I update the system to above 4.5, I wouldn't be able to use the flashcart anymore. I tried switching SD card (to the one which contains all the old data before it was added with B9S and Luma datas), but the 3DS just doesn't want to start.

Note that I went throught the tutorial to copy EMUNAND to my SysNAND, but halfway through the tutorial something didn't add up. I was told to:
Hold (R) and press (A) at the same time on 00030004 to select the folder, then select “Copy to 0:/gm9/out”
but I couldnt find the '0030004'. Instead I found '0030005' and '003000f' and copied both instead of the stated '0030004'.

When it prompted me to
  1. Navigate to [E:] EMUNAND VIRTUAL
I couldn't find the option. I didn't mind not having all the files and saves from my Gateway so I just went through to the next steps of the tutorial.
So, I updated my system.

However, after I try to finish the installation, I got an error. I am having an error installing it on the stage of installing CIA files through the FBI homebrew application.
FAILED TO INSTALL CIA FILE
RESULT CODE: 0XC8E08001
LEVEL: STATUS (25)
SUMMARY: INVALID ARGUMENT (7)
MODULE: AM (32)
DESC: <UNKNOWN> (1)

1. Is it possible to undo all this and use my Gateway flashcart back?
2. I thought my only option was to finish the tutorial and install Luma? Does this mean after installing Luma I can never use Gateway flashcart again?
3. If i have to install Luma, how to finish installing it?

Thank you!
Gateway works with every game to my knowledge. The problem is that you were on too old of a firmware for newer games to work.

Thanks!
If you really want to keep using Gateway, you can follow his instructions, except keep the emuNAND and update it to 11.2. You can update it to 11.2 by finding a 11.2 game of your region on http://3dsdb.com (type 11.2 in the search box), putting a .3ds rom of it on the GW and booting GW mode while holding D-Pad Up which disables update blocking so that you can update with the ROM.
Then follow this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/
There are not really a whole lot of reasons to keep using GW, but I still use mine for convenience. Converting all my games to .cia or redownloading them, and converting all the saves is a time consuming hassle that I just haven't bothered with yet.

wongf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Quantumcat @The Real Jdbye
Thank you for your replies!

I went ahead and tried Luma and it works for a few days for me. I was finishing a game as usual but this morning when I turn on the 3ds, only black screen showed on me. Is my 3ds bricked?
I didn't update or anything before it was bricked, so I wonder what's wrong. I tried booting into the safe recovery mode and updated the system, but when I turned it back on it is still showing black empty screen.

Help!

EDIT: I dont know but it fixes itself, so thank you!

Last edited by wongf,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@Quantumcat @The Real Jdbye
Thank you for your replies!

I went ahead and tried Luma and it works for a few days for me. I was finishing a game as usual but this morning when I turn on the 3ds, only black screen showed on me. Is my 3ds bricked?
I didn't update or anything before it was bricked, so I wonder what's wrong. I tried booting into the safe recovery mode and updated the system, but when I turned it back on it is still showing black empty screen.

Help!

EDIT: I dont know but it fixes itself, so thank you!
You might have some corrupted data on your SD card - have a look for it (it will be files with totally garbled names made of symbols and letters and stuff) or uninstall whatever you installed recently. Themes do this a bit - if you installed a theme recently then follow the delete home menu extdata section of https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning