Hacking WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A NAND restore does not help!!!

In English:
Jesus Christ....I was thinking "Write your backup nand" but they apparently screwed that also. Obviously there is no legal recourse for any of this. Anyone who sells piracy devices is a thief who is SELLING A CONTROLLED METHOD OF STEALING. Why trust them? I cut out pages ago, is this still true? No nand write fix?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If the file is corrupted, then it should not execute,
should not make checksum, and should not brick.
sure, i agree with this, but it is POSSIBLE for the file to become corrupted in a way, that keeps things in tact but makes the card think it is a clone.
now... this is very unlikely, just like monkeys typing on typewriters to write books etc, but, just the fact that is is possible, scares people, and rightly so... :)

Reactions: condiczek

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Seriously, I trust even r4i now more than Gateway, since they've been around for 8+ years, but now that Gateway is showing their true colors, I'm glad I didn't buy any of their cards.
Those are different companies, they just took the brand and ran with it, since R4 is just a generic term for flash cards for some people. The people behind R4i haven't been around for that long. The only company still alive is Supercard and they haven't been involved with these clone shenanigans..

Reactions: tofast4u

renes2

~New World~
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
buy your fucking Games <3

This is what Nintendo was everyone warning about:

Some dumb pirate-cards, that fucks up the system.

Not Gateway's problem. If some of you Guys Simply Buy the Games (No, i mean NOT 1 GAME/YEAR!), this Problem wont matter.

Or are (most of)you still telling me you wanna play homebrew? <3

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Y
The most SD corruptions I got on my devices like mobile phone,
gps, etc etc is condition of totally fcked - "do you want to format blabla" after inserting to card reader.
In such condition nothing is available to device - no risk of launcher.dat.
If your SD card will got corrupted - then launcher.dat will not get 'launched'.
To get launcher.dat running it has to be in working condition,
in order to execute checksum code.

Just try on your own to "corrupt"/modify/cut some peace of exe file on pc - will it run?

My another two cents ;)

Yes, it's possible to run corrupted file. Take .zip files for example or even MP3s. You can open them, even if they're corrupted. GW team brick is inexcusable. Blame "cloners" is ridicules. If they implemented a prankcode or just formated the SD card it would be totally fine. But bricking your console? That is fucked up...
Crackers might miss a trigger in the AP, yet the game runs but will eventually crash or some other mishap.

I gotten corrupted SD cards before where files, images, music etc. has been very odd. Yet totally possible to run. It all depends on HOW it's corrupted and how much is launchable.

I for one have respect for the 3DS scene people like Neimod, Yellow8 etc. Plus Crediar isn't a guy that just try to sabotage for people. The Wii scene has a lot to thank him for.

Reactions: dekoder

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is true, there is zero chance that I would ever knowingly purchase a product from this "company". A US court would almost certainly find them civilly liable for the damages and there would even be the potential of criminal charges for multiple counts of felony vandalism.

What makes it worse is that legitimate customers could have their property vandalized by this company simply for the bad luck of having a random high energy photon corrupt a single bit.

I never liked the Gateway team to begin with (their goal seems to be to profit from piracy, not homebrew) and this is just absurd behavior, if true just confirms my initial dislike.

Reactions: dekoder and dc740

BMinkie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not guaranteed to work because:

whether it bricks or not is based partly on a random number. Some of the data used to generate a random number is the time and date the file was copied. It's not necessarily time based, it's just that this happened to trigger on a specific time because of the way it works. It might also trigger at different times though.

but where are you getting that information from it sounds like bullshit???

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
but where are you getting that information from it sounds like bullshit???
The source in the OP.
https://ngb.to/threads/161-Gateway-...ende-3DS-Flashcart/page14?p=187387#post187387
Der Zeitpunkt des Brcks wird in etwa so bestimmt:
Code (C++):
  1. if(<low 4bits u32 output from random-number-generator are zero> && <checksum over arm9 code is invalid>)brick();
Wobei der Zufallszahlengenerator offensichtlich auf das Datum oder den Zeitpunkt, wann die Launcher.dat kopiert wurde zurückgreift.
(I can kind of read German)

Reactions: cearp

TinyBilbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most SD corruptions I got on my devices like mobile phone,
gps, etc etc is condition of totally fcked - "do you want to format blabla" after inserting to card reader.
In such condition nothing is available to device - no risk of launcher.dat.
If your SD card will got corrupted - then launcher.dat will not get 'launched'.
To get launcher.dat running it has to be in working condition,
in order to execute checksum code.

Just try on your own to "corrupt"/modify/cut some peace of exe file on pc - will it run?

My another two cents ;)

Whilst I agree with you (mostly :) ), I have had corruptions that affect things in different ways
i.e an affected MBR of a card, files have been visible - but, like you say, unreadable,
My DS took a bump and half of the card died, so some files worked others did'nt.

What if the corruption takes place AFTER the launcher.dat has been launched (due to say.. a knock :) )
and then the firmware makes checksum check (say on exit), and finds the launcher.dat is unreadable or in some way corrupted...? will it brick then?

This just makes me nervous to continue using my GW, especially since appears that some legitimate GW users are affected (although this needs to be confirmed..)

Reactions: condiczek

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They will most likely say that this is the dangerous bricking code they mentioned in an earlier update, and that it was run by clones due to them breaking the launcher, and this might actually be true.
But seeing how 4 people have reported that they found the code in the launcher, and that it is on purpose... it sounds to be on purpose.
Then again... how come those 4 people find this out approximately at the same time, and why have none of them posted the real code.

It could still go either way.... yet I,ll chose safe over sorry....

Bneundh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

Not Gateway's problem. If some of you Guys Simply Buy the Games (No, i mean NOT 1 GAME/YEAR!), this Problem wont matter.

What's wrong with buying one game/year? People have the right to buy how many games/ year. Heck, they even have the right to not buy any games and just use their 3ds to play music/video/browse the web.

Reactions: renes2 and minexew

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just think on this.

Who gains from spreading this "information"?

Not clone teams, since people will be wary to buy a card that is likely to brick their 3ds.

Not gateway either, for obvious reasons. Reputation somewhat damaged by unsubstantiated word of mouth.

Who is left? The third dog in the flashcard business, mt card.

Until I see any evidence of intentional bricking, I find it not far fetched that these scene experts are involved with Mt-card in some way.

To these people: feel free to prove me wrong. Should be trivial to show the evidence, if you are all so sure about this accusation.

Reactions: cearp

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just think on this.

Who gains from spreading this "information"?

Not clone teams, since people will be wary to buy a card that is likely to brick their 3ds.

Not gateway either, for obvious reasons. Reputation somewhat damaged by unsubstantiated word of mouth.

Who is left? The third dog in the flashcard business, mt card.

Until I see any evidence of intentional bricking, I find it not far fetched that these scene experts are involved with Mt-card in some way.

To these people: feel free to prove me wrong. Should be trivial to show the evidence, if you are all so sure about this accusation.
Who gains from spreading this information? Users, so that their 3DSes do not get bricked/they can help others get their 3DS not bricked.

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

nintendo has nothing to do with it its gateway who is destroying 3ds's

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't think the older firmwares will have that brick code, at least the one clones have given to fall back to , 2.0 (1.2 gateway) , since clones weren't as popular by then AND they didn't knew how to do shit with the nand by then as emunand wasn't out.

Also sokme users in the spanish forums have been using 2.0 since always without a prob

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, with the PythonTools for 3DS soon we shouldn't need flash carts anymore. Seems like real homebrew progress is happening.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They will most likely say that this is the dangerous bricking code they mentioned in an earlier update, and that it was run by clones due to them breaking the launcher, and this might actually be true.
But seeing how 4 people have reported that they found the code in the launcher, and that it is on purpose... it sounds to be on purpose.
Then again... how come those 4 people find this out approximately at the same time, and why have none of them posted the real code.

It could still go either way.... yet I,ll chose safe over sorry....
Isn't the actual code just a ROP chain though, or is that just used to launch the code? I forgot. Even if it's not though, it's probably ARM code that would be completely unintellegible for pretty much everyone here begging for evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof