Hacking WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecourier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9 pages in and no sign of Kyogre? I'd love to hear the justification for bricking end user devices. Hopefully MT card can get its shit together so I can support them.

Reactions: tofast4u

BMinkie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The german source link ppl are posting it looks like they are using a MT card why is gateway getting blamed again ?

this thread has lost all credibility to me and ppl here have no proof what so ever and at this point just fear mongoring this thread should be closed

I trust gateway and will use it offical firmware launchers and products

Reactions: condiczek

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Who gains from spreading this information? Users, so that their 3DSes do not get bricked/they can help others get their 3DS not bricked.
Here you make the assumption that it is true, again without evidence. Who gains from it if it is untrue, is the question, until evidence is presented that is.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the actual code just a ROP chain though, or is that just used to launch the code? I forgot. Even if it's not though, it's probably ARM code that would be completely unintellegible for pretty much everyone here begging for evidence.

This is the code

Code:
Code (C++):
[LIST=1]
[*]if(<low 4bits u32 output from random-number-generator are zero> && <checksum over arm9 code is invalid>)brick();
[/LIST]

kirillov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don´t blame GW team, they are protecting their work, blame other clones who doesn´t test "their" firms and only wants easy money...
They will not save you

Reactions: condiczek

sonic2756

Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
Found from someone who knew about the eMMC bricking before it even went public. Gotten from twitter.com/Mathieulh

"Gateway's brick code triggers using a random number generator (so it won't run all the time) and the checksums I mentioned earlier."

"It fills the eMMC with garbage and sets its size to 0 on the eMMC controller to make it harder to reflash from a computer."

"[unbricking] won't be possible with gateway's code, even with hardware, at least not easily."

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
The german source link ppl are posting it looks like they are using a MT card why is gateway getting blamed again ?

this thread has lost all credibility to me and ppl here have no proof what so ever and at this point just fear mongoring this thread should be closed

I trust gateway and will use it offical firmware launchers and products

As I posted above - a disassembly of the culprit code is needed - not some generic shit that claims the code does a rand number test and a checksum test and then runs "brick()"

- or this is scaremongering

Reactions: justinkb

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
I pretty much knew this was the issue. At the time, it sounded farfetched, but like i said already, its all a matter of joining the dots.

What about my situation? I bought both a GW and a 3dslink. What, so GW is so greedy as to mess up my 3dslink just because i didnt get ANOTHER GW? I need my exclusive launcher for my situation right now. Its like being denied the restroom after eating in that restaurant.

also, this situation is like Toyota going on a killing spree against american/korean/whatever cars and punching their tires on random days of the week and on random climate situations.

it only makes it worse that the actually updated their website and didnt claim that they incorporated this in their code, they just acted like they didnt know, and said something about 'investigating the issue.

I doesnt matter what anyone believes, clones or not, COMPETITION is COMPETITION. Thats the way the market works. U dont see Casio killing all the other chinese watch knockoffs.

#^*+~^++ you gateway. You're bullshit, and u proved it with your actions. True competitors dont resort to methods like this, mr. God.

Oh btw, im not bricked yet, and am on v3.2 3dslink. Now that its proved tho, downgrading to 3.0 when i get home

edit: so 3.0 is the latest safest? Is it confirmed 3.1 , 3.2, 3.3 are ALL bad?

i also got another analogy for you. Its like paying cable back in the old days, and my dad installing a splitter to get cable into the back room TVs too, if the cable guys saw it, they would fuss and stuff,that u had to pay extra.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
You are all missing the point, it's not the launcher.dat file itself that is checked, but parts loaded from it. For instance the main bricking code will check the hash of the ARM9 payload in memory, which on its own can be corrupted even though the SD card is not. (You are loading this through an exploit, itself loading through a large ROP chain, that's hardly what one could call a safe and fully controlled environment)
Why do you think even gateway 2.0b2 won't load 100% of the time?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is the code

Code:
Code (C++):
[LIST=1]
[*]if(<low 4bits u32 output from random-number-generator are zero> && <checksum over arm9 code is invalid>)brick();
[/LIST]
It's pseudocode that anyone could have written though. I believe it myself, but that piece of code won't convince any of the people asking for evidence.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I guess I won't be getting a Gateway 3DS anymore. Looks like a clone card will be my next solution. It's quite the dick move on GW's part to be purposely bricking users' 3DS systems.
.....yeah getting the cards that are possibly being targeted by the software creators.......clever :wacko:

renes2

~New World~
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's wrong with buying one game/year? People have the right to buy how many games/ year. Heck, they even have the right to not buy any games and just use their 3ds to play music/video/browse the web.

Yes, thats their right.

But most of Gateway users arent playing homebrews. Or Videos. Or Music.
They simply wont pay for games, and if something like the Gateway Brick Rumor happens, they are loosing their Mind.

Disgraceful.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The pseudo code, i have posted, was written by yellows8. Through the code you can get a idea, how it is triggered.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What's wrong with buying one game/year? People have the right to buy how many games/ year. Heck, they even have the right to not buy any games and just use their 3ds to play music/video/browse the web.
I suspect he's talking about people who buy one game a year and use that as justification to pirate a ton of other games.

GregoryRasputin

The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
You are all missing the point, it's not the launcher.dat file itself that is checked, but parts loaded from it. For instance the main bricking code will check the hash of the ARM9 payload in memory, which on its own can be corrupted even though the SD card is not. (You are loading this through an exploit, itself loading through a large ROP chain, that's hardly what one could call a safe and fully controlled environment)
Why do you think even gateway 2.0b2 won't load 100% of the time?

Quoted because some people cant read or understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm this video is clickbait
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a dazzel capture card some place in storage
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I got a dazzel capture card some place in storage