Hacking WARNING - Gateway team bricks card ON PURPOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
i just surprised , they : chose a method that bricks the console and not some other method .. and more annoyingly tried to blame it on someone else.

Shows them for what they are. The most filthy of pirates .. the profiting kind.

Reactions: BIFFTAZ

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It has been confirmed by respected scene developers.
If they said the moon was made of cheese without evidence, would you believe it? If they have evidence for it, it should be trivial to show this, wouldn't it? Why would they keep the evidence for themselves?

Axel Killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got
Unless someone has confirmed a bricking on original GW card we can't know if they have extra tests to ensure the originals are 100% safe.

People originally said the region free hack was safe - but then it turned out that bricks are reported with the region free firmware - so other code exists to trigger the NAND and eMMC (embedded Multi Media Card) controller reprogramming in addition to the initial stuff reported.

btw someone needs to post a disassembly of the culprit code for this to be 100% confirmed
i got a original not modfide or nothing how do i test it? its bin running really good maby i can clear some of this up

elcravo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Technicmaster0 said:
It can get corrupted if your turn your 3DS off while it writes a save to the SD, too (either in GW mode or with original games).​

About save thing - the file which could be corrupted in such case i the save file. Not the launcher.dat file.
One person is not reliable for me.

I never said its 100% safe. I said, that I feel 100% safe. Its different.

Theoretically everything can happen. Even NAND can get corrupted. Without any launcher.dat.
Im curious how devices 3ds firmware update is being updated? Downloaded to SD 1st?
If so, then it can also get corrupted, and fck my device. Of course - theoretically.

Guys be mad at R4i/3DSLink.

Go ahead and do as you like, but don't come to the forums crying if you brick your device.

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, a lot of crap sure happened while GBAtemp was down. I'm surprised that Gateway would do something like this given how much their "fanboys" were willing to support them and hijack every 3DS thread to mock clones and praise Gateway. And not that's all GONE for Gateway. Seriously, I trust even r4i now more than Gateway, since they've been around for 8+ years, but now that Gateway is showing their true colors, I'm glad I didn't buy any of their cards.

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
If they said the moon was made of cheese without evidence, would you believe it? If they have evidence for it, it should be trivial to show this, wouldn't it? Why would they keep the evidence for themselves?

But Gateway themselves have confirmed it on their website.

condiczek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Correct....

I have an official GW and use an unmodified launcher...
So I should be safe...

However - I can no longer use my GW, why?...

Because SD-Cards corrupt all the time.

Sometimes you switch off whilst still writing to them and they corrupt,
sometimes they die/corrupt from age/overuse,
others corrupt because they are fake SDs...
I've even had corruption from bumping my DS whilst it was writing.

The most SD corruptions I got on my devices like mobile phone,
gps, etc etc is condition of totally fcked - "do you want to format blabla" after inserting to card reader.
In such condition nothing is available to device - no risk of launcher.dat.
If your SD card will got corrupted - then launcher.dat will not get 'launched'.
To get launcher.dat running it has to be in working condition,
in order to execute checksum code.

If the file is corrupted, then it should not execute,
should not make checksum, and should not brick.

Just try on your own to "corrupt"/modify/cut some peace of exe file on pc - will it run?

My another two cents ;)

Reactions: Soul_Alchemist

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
i got i got a original not modfide or nothing how do i test it? its bin running really good maby i can clear some of this up

erm - the test might result in your 3DS not working - so unless you're rich and like experimenting - don't do it. (otherwise modify one random byte in launcher.dat and see what happens .... )

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Set your 3dsdate back 1-2 years. That what I did since i like to add a day here and there to reset my step counter
This is not guaranteed to work because:
This sounds like alot of bullshit to me date triggered ??? come on
whether it bricks or not is based partly on a random number. Some of the data used to generate a random number is the time and date the file was copied. It's not necessarily time based, it's just that this happened to trigger on a specific time because of the way it works. It might also trigger at different times though.

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The most SD corruptions I got on my devices like mobile phone,
gps, etc etc is condition of totally fcked - "do you want to format blabla" after inserting to card reader.
In such condition nothing is available to device - no risk of launcher.dat.
If your SD card will got corrupted - then launcher.dat will not get 'launched'.
To get launcher.dat running it has to be in working condition,
in order to execute checksum code.

If the file is corrupted, then it should not execute,
should not make checksum, and should not brick.

Just try on your own to "corrupt"/modify/cut some peace of exe file on pc - will it run?

My another two cents ;)

Considering how most of the cheap sd card are made, anything can get corrupted and still run. If a small part gets corupted, the launcher will work but the checksum wont match anymore => bricked console

Reactions: dekoder

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you are seriously mistaken about what the claims are here.

Gateway said to avoid "the region-free patches made by Normmatt", so your only possible explanation could be that the patch is broken and because of that causes bricking, IN THE SAME WAY as a clone card does. Sounds totally much more believable than what respected members of the community (who have proven to understand their shit) have shown.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
On gateways homepage , they kick of by stating that they are investigating into the blue screens etc.. when all along they know the reason. They will convince some . but not all... glad i sold my fukkin 3ds's . If smea ever releases someting i may re invest ..

Reactions: Huntereb

pokefan92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently bought a gateway... I want to say thanks to everybody because it makes some people like me won't get our 3ds bricked (I won't use gateway until this calms down).

You are heroes, thanks to everyone.

dc740

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It has been confirmed by Neimod, yellows8, mathieulh and profi200. From their reputations I'd say that is proof enough.
+1

Yes, of course. It depends on which part of the exe you modify, and how fast that part gets executed in the app flow, maybe it's just data and it's never executed, yet the executable is corrupted.

Reactions: dekoder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34