• Views 71,073
  • Replies 297
  • Likes 13

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey just throwing it out there but the screenshot and video recording (for botw maybe others?) Are not encrypted the a jpeg (screenshots) and mpeg(2?) (Videos) Im wondering if there's viable exploitation in these. i know we had the tiff exploit for vita. And wasn't there a mpeg exploit for a console at some point? psp? 3ds? can't remember. any thoughts?

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey just throwing it out there but the screenshot and video recording (for botw maybe others?) Are not encrypted the a jpeg (screenshots) and mpeg(2?) (Videos) Im wondering if there's viable exploitation in these. i know we had the tiff exploit for vita. And wasn't there a mpeg exploit for a console at some point? psp? 3ds? can't remember. any thoughts?
Don't you think if this could have worked someone would have done it already??

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Afaik - the tiff support bug worked, because it was integrated at a low system level (I wanted to say kernel, but I dont dare to.. ;) ), or at least allowed to grab allocated memory from a low level process. Companies should not make this mistake again... ;) (tiff integration in userspace - problem solved.. :) )

I could be totally wrong though. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Salazar-DE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What makes you so sure someone would have already done it? We've only have 1 year of hacks and entrypoints discovered, that could be a viable option to look at for the people who actually code these hacks.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Because its as obvious as entry points can be, and easier in concept than a tethered hack (have to be online), which we have now.

Other than that its hypothetical vs. hypothetical. First person that fakes the other one out, wins.. ;) Unless we get someone to confirm, that he/she has tried it - and it didn't work, then its "that person istn't leet enough" to win. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How many times do we have to tell people: If you want homebrew don't update! We don't know if 5.0 will ever get homebrew and if it does it will take a long time, several months or even years, we just don't know yet. Homebrew on 4.x.x could be out in weeks.
Calm down. Just because you told plenty of other people doesn't mean that I automatically know too. I'm not asking if 5.0.0 is going to have homebrew. All I'm asking is if 4.0.0 is in a similar state to 5.0.0. in terms of getting hacked. Maybe there's an upcoming exploit for 3.0.0 and 4.0.0 that I don't know about, because I haven't been following the scene 24/7? It was just a reply, it's not like I made an entire post for it.

mendezagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

SG911

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was given some free games (Digital codes) & i needed to update in order to even download them. So i went ahead & updated, i kind of lost interest in the cfw/hb for right now, so it's okay plus if i decide to wanna get back into it all, i'll just buy another switch. Not like they cost much.

D

Deleted-442439

OP
Calm down. Just because you told plenty of other people doesn't mean that I automatically know too. I'm not asking if 5.0.0 is going to have homebrew. All I'm asking is if 4.0.0 is in a similar state to 5.0.0. in terms of getting hacked. Maybe there's an upcoming exploit for 3.0.0 and 4.0.0 that I don't know about, because I haven't been following the scene 24/7? It was just a reply, it's not like I made an entire post for it.

Right, sorry if that came across as aggressive. 4.0.0 is in a far better state than 5.0.0. They have access to Trustzone and confirmed working exploits through deja vu, but they are still private to keep Nintendo from patching. We don't know when it will be released, but it would make sense for 5.0.0 release to speed up the release of HB on 4.x.x if any of the current exploits are patched.

Regardless the state of it is really good and CFW is being worked on.

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right, sorry if that came across as aggressive. 4.0.0 is in a far better state than 5.0.0. They have access to Trustzone and confirmed working exploits through deja vu, but they are still private to keep Nintendo from patching. We don't know when it will be released, but it would make sense for 5.0.0 release to speed up the release of HB on 4.x.x if any of the current exploits are patched.

Regardless the state of it is really good and CFW is being worked on.
Thanks for that answer. Guess I won't update for now unless Smash comes out or something else

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for that answer. Guess I won't update for now unless Smash comes out or something else

I still have not heard somebody directly say that 5.0.0 even has the same trustzone bug. However, it has been mentioned that a lot more has been done to mitigate lower level access. So I would not take 5.0.0 lightly for now. Sadly, as said the question "is the low level trustzone bug still there" has not been answered definitively. Neither is there a statement how many of the bugs have been fixed to pull it off (not sure but I think the mmu bug is used by deja - so that may be a huge issue).

Last edited by Onibi,

xurion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey, I'm actually at 4.1.0 and I'm gonna stay there for a while. But I just bought Xenoblade 2, is there a way to update the game without updating the system? When I launch the game update, it says my switch needs to be updated too.
Furthermore, is there a way to download the free jp voice pack without updating the switch?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I'm actually at 4.1.0 and I'm gonna stay there for a while. But I just bought Xenoblade 2, is there a way to update the game without updating the system? When I launch the game update, it says my switch needs to be updated too.
Furthermore, is there a way to download the free jp voice pack without updating the switch?
You missed it by a couple days. Everytime there is a new firmware the online access restrictions are lifted for a short time and anyone can download updates/games. That's the only way for now.

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It’s these moments that make TX unpatchable mod chip more useful...if the price is right I expect a lot of people to order...
With ppl not knowing the difference of a resistor to an electrolytic capacitor and how to not burn a hole in your hand when using a soldering iron... I dont expect the soldered version to sell very good...
Yes there will be "experts" offering a soldering job, but that makes this whole thing even more expensive.
So they will either buy a solderless one, wait on <=4.1.0 and punch it in their kids not to update or destroy the hardware when actually soldering themselves :D

Can't wait for all the whining about how shit the hw mod is when they brick their Switch themselve

Last edited by Resaec,

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
no reason to update all the games im excited for come out later this year just hope it does before smash though but smash will probably come out in dec.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

get it out before smash please

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol