• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 70,825
  • Replies 297
  • Likes 13
D

Deleted-442439

OP
I'm on 4.1, if I want to use homebrew/CFW in the near future is there even any point in waiting? Or might I aswell just upgrade to 5.0.0?

How many times do we have to tell people: If you want homebrew don't update! We don't know if 5.0 will ever get homebrew and if it does it will take a long time, several months or even years, we just don't know yet. Homebrew on 4.x.x could be out in weeks.

D

Deleted User

OP
I've been very patient waiting for an exploit. But the temptation to update is growing! :(

D

Deleted-442439

OP
I've been very patient waiting for an exploit. But the temptation to update is growing! :(

The devs keep stuff private until an exploit has been patched in most cases, so now that 5.0 is out with several patches 4.x.x homebrew will be out soon, if you have waited this long you can wait a little longer. You will regret it once it is actually released.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn the console on while holding both volume buttons, decline update, reboot
Cool, thanks.

I noticed I can just download updates for games without updating still. I thought in the past you had to do a trick but it's letting me update just fine from the options menu of each game. So unless Nintendo somehow changes this requirement to update games, nothing can stop me from using my Switch (4.1) and playing updated games. :unsure:

Edit: Just added the DNS to block fw updates. It doesn't block game updates thankfully. So, cool unless Nintendo makes us update the system to play online, we're set.

Edit again: Lets you download game updates, but blocks online play. Well damn.

Last edited by YourHero,

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to use sdxc with out 5.0 mine keep telling me on 4.1.0 with updates blocked that i have to update to use SDXC :'(

D

Deleted-442439

OP
Is there any way to use sdxc with out 5.0 mine keep telling me on 4.1.0 with updates blocked that i have to update to use SDXC :'(

Yeah it seems you need to update to use sd cards, but I believe clearing the update from memory fixes it? (hold down both volume buttons during boot)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The devs keep stuff private until an exploit has been patched in most cases, so now that 5.0 is out with several patches 4.x.x homebrew will be out soon, if you have waited this long you can wait a little longer. You will regret it once it is actually released.
First, nothing is going to be released until a functional CFW is completed.

Second, has there been actual confirmation that 5.0.0's patches make it no longer worth keeping some 2.0.0-4.1.0 exploits a secret? I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't think there had been.

Edit: To be clear, regardless of any such confirmation, nobody should update to 5.0.0.

Last edited by Lacius,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Logic would dictate that, but no one important has said that, no
5.0.0 likely patches something, but that doesn't mean it patches everything. In other words, it's possible that, simultaneously, a.) 5.0.0 will not be exploited anytime soon because of its patches, and b.) The release of 5.0.0 will do nothing to expedite the release of anything for 2.0.0-3.0.0 and/or 3.0.1-4.1.0.

D

Deleted-442439

OP
First, nothing is going to be released until a functional CFW is completed.

Second, has there been actual confirmation that 5.0.0's patches make it no longer worth keeping some 2.0.0-4.1.0 exploits a secret? I haven't been paying attention, but I didn't think there had been.

I am not aware of any direct confirmation, but I believe reading deja vu was half patched, not making it impossible, but much harder, so whatever they are using now we would presume is patched in 5.0.

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it seems you need to update to use sd cards, but I believe clearing the update from memory fixes it? (hold down both volume buttons during boot)
Tried that the system keeps asking to check for an update in order to use SDXC if its format is exfat. The sdxc default format i assume? If i use fat32 the message doesn't show up but i don't know if the sdcard can be used in the switch that way. Maybe someone can do some investigation into it as im not too familiar with sdcard usage in the switch.

Last edited by DarkenSX,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried that the system keeps asking to check for an update in order to use SDXC if its format is exfat. The sdxc default format i assume? If i use fat32 the message doesn't show up but i don't know if the sdcard can be used in the switch that way. Maybe someone can do some investigation into it as im not too familiar with sdcard usage in the switch.
Yes, it can be safely used formatted to FAT32. After emunand you can reformat to exFAT if it would make you feel better

Reactions: DarkenSX
D

Deleted-442439

OP
Forgive me, but do you have a source for this?

Yep, they fortified the secure monitor.

First of all the changed the memory layout quite a lot they made .text, .rodata, and .data into separate sections, instead of being mapped RWX in 4.x.x they also changed the Physical layout in TZRAM , with pk2ldr being in low TZRAM instead of high TZRAM.

SMC interface also had a few changes:
  • smcLoadSecureExpModKey was removed.
  • smcLoadRsaOaepKey has been replaced with a new SMC (0xC300D60C) that loads two keys into TrustZone.
  • smcGetConfig was extended with two new config items:
-GetConfig(16) now does the following, which seems to check whether the Switch is running on a Tegra 210:
return (FUSE_RESERVED_ODM4 & 0x800) && FUSE_RESERVED_ODM0 == 0x8E61ECAE && FUSE_RESERVED_ODM1 == 0xF2BA3BB2 ? (FUSE_RESERVED_ODM2 & 0x1F) : 0

• Getconfig(17) now checks whether package2 is plaintext or encrypted.

So yeah there is a lot to work on...

Edit: I forgot the source lol: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=5.0.0&type=revision&diff=3992&oldid=3991#Secure_Monitor

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch works just fine with sd cards formatted to fat32 my 128gb sd card is fat32 and has like twelve games on it and they work fine i even have some pretty big games on it like Resident Evil Revelations 2 (its 23.6GB) and i have no issues. Homebrew will likely require fat32 as well.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch works just fine with sd cards formatted to fat32 my 128gb sd card is fat32 and has like twelve games on it and they work fine i even have some pretty big games on it like Resident Evil Revelations 2 (its 23.6GB) and i have no issues. Homebrew will likely require fat32 as well.
Fat32 cannot store single files larger than 4gb

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fat32 cannot store single files larger than 4gb
I know that what im trying to say is any game you can get on eshop wont have any single file over then 4gb because its made with sdhc in mind. sdhc cards come formatted as fat32 by default so the switch is made to use it. Oh yea and any homebrew you see will not have any files over 4gb and when backup loaders become a thing then the games will be split into 4gb chunks so they will fit on a fat32 partition.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When is that going to be a problem? Games aren't stored as one contiguous file.
It's going to be a problem if we get backup loaders and want to copy an xci file to the SD card. Unless they find a way how to load games from extracted xci folders

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's going to be a problem if we get backup loaders and want to copy an xci file to the SD card. Unless they find a way how to load games from extracted xci folders
Wii USB loaders have no trouble loading split wbfs files when they're bigger than 4GB. The principle would be the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse