ROM Hack Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 DX

Hardback247

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone started creating a DX color hack of the first Wario Land game in the same vein as the color hacks of Super Mario Land 1 and 2?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane Wa Naru DX, basically the game where Link's Awakening came from.

Technically that is not true both games have similar game engines and were being developed at the same time with only 7 months between the relese of each game. Links Awakening was held back deliberately.

Hardback247

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if THIS is the right place to ask this question, but has anyone tried to turn Virtual Boy Wario Land into a 3DS ROM capable of retaining the 3D effects from the original game? I'd also like it in black and white, because it's better on the eyes.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Technically that is not true both games have similar game engines and were being developed at the same time with only 7 months between the relese of each game. Links Awakening was held back deliberately.
Kaeru looks like the base game for Link's Awakening. It has the same style, platforming sections and elements from the UI. But it lacks battle-system (beyond the life of the characters) and other features.

It could be coincidence but it certainly looks like a prior development.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kaeru looks like the base game for Link's Awakening. It has the same style, platforming sections and elements from the UI. But it lacks battle-system (beyond the life of the characters) and other features.

It could be coincidence but it certainly looks like a prior development.
Both games entered development at round about the same time which was late 1990. They share a similar game engine which probably started out a a joint engine for both games then each development team then modified to their needs. But as both games entered development at the same time its wrong to say one was based on the other.

Alexgray

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
For the virtual boy warrior land there is not one for the 3DS but you can put retro arc onto your Wii U to play virtual boy games as well as pick colour ( black red / black White / black yellow)
As well as setting up 3D for Stereo scopic red blue 3D glasses

Phantron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No. Toruzz (DX1 and DX2) barely has any free time and his current project (for a few years already) is Kaeru no Tame ni Kane Wa Naru DX, basically the game where Link's Awakening came from.

Im pretty sure he said the opposite, that he actually gave up on For the Frog the bell tolls! he said that himself in more than 1 comment, and instead worked on the Mario games. I am very sure that Wario Land (SML3) is in his works

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Im pretty sure he said the opposite, that he actually gave up on For the Frog the bell tolls! he said that himself in more than 1 comment, and instead worked on the Mario games. I am very sure that Wario Land (SML3) is in his works
I think he said that in his twitter. Not sure since this happened 1 year ago.

CoupureElectrique

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I finished it the other day.

It is a fine attempt, but not nearly as good as toruzz colorization projects. I think it is the first hack of korxo, so not bad at all.

I finished this 100% the other day and thought it was really good. The grass color of the overworld was an eyesore but other than that I thought most of the color choices were optimal. Seeing the negative reviews on romhacking is infuriating. Someone finally stepped up and colorized it but half the reviews are ungrateful plebs.

I played it on mgba for 3DS and didn't run into any issues except for a save state glitching out once during the Sherbert boss. (Don't know if that was just an mgba issue or not)

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No. Toruzz (DX1 and DX2) barely has any free time and his current project (for a few years already) is Kaeru no Tame ni Kane Wa Naru DX, basically the game where Link's Awakening came from.

Btw according to his Twitter, the DX hack for this lovely game is about to arrive within this year:

CTR640

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I guess this is the right topic? My cousin showed me this and downloaded it from the mentioned site here but it's in .ips format. What does that exactly mean and now to run it?

-edit-
It seems to be not available for mobile, is that correct?

Last edited by CTR640,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill