Hacking Want to move ISO to Fat32, but keep it in ISO format. Possible?

vanillakokakola

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm one of the people who's been experiencing Xenoblade cutscene freezes (worse yet, my first one happened 100 hours in during a REALLY climactic cutscene sequence). So, I've decided to reformat my HDD from WBFS to Fat32 in the hopes that I'll be able to find a fix this way.

I'm moving all my other game files back via Wii Backup Manager, and I believe it's converting them to .wbfs. However, I want to keep Xenoblade as an ISO, since I was reading that the .wbfs split might be what causes the cutscene freezes (since it's a dual-layer disc). I read that there's a way to split an ISO file, but haven't seen anything conclusive about that, so I'm not even positive it's an option.

Anyways, does anyone have a way that I can move an ISO to my Wii HDD and keep it in ISO format? I'm find with downloading another Wii file manager if that one will provide a fix.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
No. FAT32 has a 4GB filesize limit. You cant bypass that.
Just convert it to WBFS and let WBM split it for you. I have spent a lot of hours in Xenoblade and never had any issue.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No you can't.
Fat32 has a filesize limit of 4GiB. With some games you can shrink the iso to fit.
But Xenoblade is to big for that. Basically every game that uses split wbfs files is.
Aditionally iirc loaders don't support iso on fat.
But I really doubt that the split is the problem anyway.

You could try iso on ntfs. It does not have the 4GiB limit.

If you still want to switch to fat/ntfs you can avoid the copying by using wbfs2fat.

vanillakokakola

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. FAT32 has a 4GB filesize limit. You cant bypass that.
Just convert it to WBFS and let WBM split it for you. I have spent a lot of hours in Xenoblade and never had any issue.

Like I said, I'm 100 hours in and haven't had a problem up until right now. I've reloaded it on there twice with both WBFS Manager and Wii Backup Manager. People have been having problems with other cutscenes earlier on, but for me, it keeps freezing at the exact same point on the exact same cutscene. So, your solution won't work.

And, there are also people who have had problems with this same cutscene, but I haven't seen anyone post a solution yet. There was mention of some sort of tool that was used with Metroid, because i guess there was a similar problem with that game, that re-splits it into 3 parts with all the movies on one part, but I couldn't find a Windows version (I believe the version that was posted was Mac/Linux). The title of that program was wbfs file 2.9.

Like I said, I've read that it's an issue with WBFS split + it being a dual layer disc. I really hope there's a way around it.

No you can't.
Fat32 has a filesize limit of 4GiB. With some games you can shrink the iso to fit.
But Xenoblade is to big for that. Basically every game that uses split wbfs files is.
Aditionally iirc loaders don't support iso on fat.
But I really doubt that the split is the problem anyway.

You could try iso on ntfs. It does not have the 4GiB limit.

If you still want to switch to fat/ntfs you can avoid the copying by using wbfs2fat.

I tried switching to NTFS as well, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work - for that, I'm mainly confused re: the whole \wbfs\Title_GAMEID, since I can't find a single example of what that should actually look like posted anywhere. Would it be \Xenoblade Chronicles_SX4P01\SX4P01.iso? Or would it look different?

In any case, when I switched to NTFS, USB Loader GX booted up and didn't find any files. I'd love to use NTFS if that'll be the workaround that lets me finish the game, but as of right now, I don't know how to get it to work.

vanillakokakola

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, I've read that it's an issue with WBFS split + it being a dual layer disc.

It isnt. Maybe you just got a bad dump...

I don't know. I've seen other people get told the same thing, only to say that they've tried several different releases. So I'm skeptical that it's the dump that's the problem, but willing to try another release that's known to be working.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Get wiimms wwt+wit tools and use it to verify that you dont have a bad dump.

It can also split .wbfs files in different places.
But even if the split is a problem (BS imho) there is no reason why it would crash at the same place when using a wbfs partition.

Afaik you can use WBM to copy the .iso to avoid manually nameing it.

btw: wbfs_file is available for windows too

vanillakokakola

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I figured I'd post my fix on here in case anyone else is wondering. I did end up having to reformat to NTFS, but it was MUCH easier than I thought it would be.

1) Copy all games you want to keep from your external hard drive to your PC

2) Use the ModMii tool (google it) to re-hack your Wii. I was really nervous about re-hacking because I thought it would be time-consuming and easier to cause a brick, but ModMii makes everything SO easy. Doing a complete re-hack took me 20 minutes, MAYBE a half-hour.
2a) Install a new USB Loader if necessary. I was using USB Loader GX, but since it seems like that's outdated, I used ModMii to install both CFG USB Loader and WiiFlow.

3) Reformat HDD to NTFS using your method of choice

4) Use Wii File Manager or, again, your method of choice to transfer all OTHER games back to the HDD

5) Make a folder in the "wbfs" folder that should be on your HDD (if you transferred all your other games back first, otherwise, make a "wbfs" folder in the root of your hard drive) titled "Xenoblade Chronicles [SX4P01]" (so, the name of the game and then, in brackets, the Game ID number, which you can find by Googling)

6) Then, copy your Xenoblade ISO over to that folder, retitle it "SX4P01" (or "SX4P01.iso" depending on how your OS displays filenames) and you're good to go!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work