A real way to convert .ciso to .iso

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to convert .ciso file to .iso file that actually works?

I tried this method https://gbatemp.net/threads/ciso-to-iso-converter.623501/#post-10030466 but it didn't work, I mean it did but the iso file is more than 4gb and since im using a FAT32 partition i cant copy files more than 4gb to my hdd

then I tried this
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ciso-to-iso-converter.623501/#post-10140891
didn't work either

I've managed to convert it to iso with WiiBaFu v1.1 and change its size but it nintendont just freezes when I run it

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is there a way to convert .ciso file to .iso file that actually works?

I tried this method https://gbatemp.net/threads/ciso-to-iso-converter.623501/#post-10030466 but it didn't work, I mean it did but the iso file is more than 4gb and since im using a FAT32 partition i cant copy files more than 4gb to my hdd

then I tried this
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ciso-to-iso-converter.623501/#post-10140891
didn't work either

I've managed to convert it to iso with WiiBaFu v1.1 and change its size but it nintendont just freezes when I run it
What Wii game are you trying to convert as some Wii games are actually over 4GB Smash Bros Brawl for instance.

You can also use WiI Backup manager to copy games over 4gb to your Wii HD. It splits the file into two but the wii will still see it as one file.

You don't even need worry about using other programs to convert the cios as Wii Backup manager can also do that

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
For me - Using nkit or ciso for GC games & directly through Nintendont = Great :)
I only used 2 disc GC games as iso, but had to use Nintendont through USBLoader GX.

Not clear what your target is - GC or Wii games ?
WiiBaFu 1.1 worked fine on both GC & Wii games (for me) :)

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, answering to everyone here

1. I know that WiI Backup Manager can split large files when transferring them to an HDD by creating 2 .wbfs files. I did it many times but this time the situation is different.

2. The game in question is Xeno Crisis for the Gamecube. It is in .ciso format. I don't know what kind of voodoo magic you used @morning_glory to make .ciso run on Nintendont. For me, Nintendont just gives me a black screen and freezes and USBloaderGX doesn't even see the game when it is in .ciso format.

3. What I did was I converted the .ciso file to iso with WiiBaFu v1.1. The .ciso file was about 115 mb but when converted to .iso it grew to 4.5 GB and since I am using a FAT32 HDD I cant copy files larger than 4gb to it. So, I changed its size with the help of WiiBaFu to about 1.5 GB but it won't work either. Same results - Nintendont just gives me a black screen and freezes while USBloaderGX sees the game but gives me a black screen and freezes.

So, what should I do in this situation? Split the 4GB .iso file into smaller two .iso files to play it on nintendont and usbloadergx? But how do I do that? As far as I know, gamecube backup manager (or whatever its called) can't do the trick that WiI Backup Manager does.
Or should I find some other way to convert it to .iso?
Post automatically merged:

Use wiimms, it's the most accurate tool for these tasks.
You can view examples at https://wit.wiimm.de/wit/
use --split if your storage is fat32
how do i even use this program to convert .ciso to .iso? Can you guide me step-by-step?

Last edited by cereal_killer,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First of all, make sure you know what you have - the PSP's CISO has absolutely nothing to do with the Wii/GC one, meaning that if you or your cousin/brother/dog/etc used the wrong utilities, a bad result is expected; similiarly, an extension is not a file format, just because we call wii/gc disc images "isos" (when they're officially .gcm's) doesn't make them isos in the strict sense, ie images of an ISO9660 filesystem

how do i even use this program to convert .ciso to .iso? Can you guide me step-by-step?
That page IS the manual and, like every program, presumes basic knowledge of your operating system, in this case of the windows command line...
The full command is, if you want to replace the source file:
wit convert -I [path to the file]
Or if you want to make a converted copy:
wit copy -I [path to the file] [path to the destination]
for example: wit convert -I [drag and drop here the source file then press enter]

That said, don't use your 4.7 GB file since it's definitely not a valid GC miniDVD anymore!

A very smart idea would be to use CleanRip to start over with a clean copy of your legally owned original disc - which you can then convert to ciso using the same commands but replacing the -I part with -C

Reactions: CoolMe

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, make sure you know what you have - the PSP's CISO has absolutely nothing to do with the Wii/GC one, meaning that if you or your cousin/brother/dog/etc used the wrong utilities, a bad result is expected; similiarly, an extension is not a file format, just because we call wii/gc disc images "isos" (when they're officially .gcm's) doesn't make them isos in the strict sense, ie images of an ISO9660 filesystem
1. No, I downloaded it from the gamecube section. So, it is legit.
2. So, I install wit-v3.05a-r8638-cygwin64 then i go to the directory with the .ciso file -> open command line -> type wit convert -I drag and drop here the source file in the command line?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, though you may need to select the folder with the wit program instead (or enter its full path) if the installed doean't add said folder to the path-variable

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1. No, I downloaded it from the gamecube section. So, it is legit.
Had a quick glance at this game's info, & it comes up as "unlicensed".
My quick guess it's not up to scratch to the wii loader apps.
Having said that, I did download it & I will try it myself & will respond (in time).

I don't know what kind of voodoo magic you used @morning_glory to make .ciso run on Nintendont.

No, totally magic free. Always prefer to keep it as simple as possible.
I only use/play Wii & GC games. That's it.
Consider what other installed apps could be the issue, the fact it's unlicensed.
I have no fails with nkit or ciso (directly & only through Nintendont). More successful than wii games.

If you're experiencing loading problems with all/most games, then it's looking like something else is the problem.
Post automatically merged:

and USBloaderGX doesn't even see the game when it is in .ciso format.
USBLoader GX will not see/detect nkit nor ciso formats :( Yeah, it sucks.
I haven't used the latest USBLoader GX, but I doubt that feature/s has changed

Last edited by morning_glory,

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That page IS the manual and, like every program, presumes basic knowledge of your operating system, in this case of the windows command line...
The full command is, if you want to replace the source file:
wit convert -I [path to the file]
Or if you want to make a converted copy:
wit copy -I [path to the file] [path to the destination]
for example: wit convert -I [drag and drop here the source file then press enter]

That said, don't use your 4.7 GB file since it's definitely not a valid GC miniDVD anymore!

A very smart idea would be to use CleanRip to start over with a clean copy of your legally owned original disc - which you can then convert to ciso using the same commands but replacing the -I part with -C
Well, I did exactly as you advised. It did convert ciso to iso but the file size is 4.5GB

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 32

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well .... After repairing my USB port that my daughter broke, reinstalling the drivers, I could transfer the xeno game to the SD card.

Yep ! Black-screened :(
Tried changing several Nintendont settings, but one. The progressive setting. It needs the component cables. I've been using Wii2HDMI & forgot where I place the old component cable :(
Also, my TV displayed a weird resolution numbers/size for that xeno game. Never seen that resolution before. I should have wrote it down. It was like 571p.

I would safely say it's the game itself (at fault). But do try the component cable.
Also, the game is in PAL, & I do have a NTSC wii running at the moment on PAL TV. Was at least hoping to hear some sounds :(

For what it's worth, all my other ciso & nkit games work perfectly.
Xeno is the only game that I have tried that is unlicensed.

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
2. The game in question is Xeno Crisis for the Gamecube. It is in .ciso format. I don't know what kind of voodoo magic you used @morning_glory to make .ciso run on Nintendont. For me, Nintendont just gives me a black screen and freezes and USBloaderGX doesn't even see the game when it is in .ciso format.
Where did you get Xeno Crisis in .ciso format? That's not how it's sold.
It's not going to work in Nintendont regardless.

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This GameCube CISO was built with NKit2 v20230310 not yet released
the only way to start Xeno Crisis.ciso and Dolphin Emulator

spinoman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
assuming we are talking of gamecube games, i have done this some time ago and, if i remember correctly, you can't do this without an intermediate ntfs device. a 8gb sd card or usb key will be ok.
first you have to convert ciso to iso with wit
https://wit.wiimm.de/
and now you have a 4+gb iso file that is not yet ready.
next you have to use gcit utility to make it 1gb and readable by nintendont by saving in full iso format.
https://wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html
i assure this will work but sorry i can't write a full tutorial.
i have used this method to convert a ciso backup of spiderman2 gamecube game and it is playable in nintendont.

Last edited by spinoman,

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assuming we are talking of gamecube games, i have done this some time ago and, if i remember correctly, you can't do this without an intermediate ntfs device. a 8gb sd card or usb key will be ok.
first you have to convert ciso to iso with wit
and now you have a 4+gb iso file that is not yet ready.
next you have to use gcit utility to make it 1gb and readable by nintendont by saving in full iso format.
https://wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html
i assure this will work but sorry i can't write a full tutorial.
i have used this method to convert a ciso backup of spiderman2 gamecube game and it is playable in nintendont.

"first you have to convert ciso to iso with wit
and now you have a 4+gb iso file that is not yet ready."

yep, already done that

how exactly do I "use gcit utility to make it 1gb?"

spinoman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Site & Scene News