Hacking waninkoko VC/Wiiware with rev14 announced or so

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
A neat feature I must say. It'll probably lead into a new generation of forwarders though. If it's how I except, one will access their games through a .dol loader much like Waninkoko's ISO Loader. Then, like the ISOs, VC channel forwarders will be made or be able to be generated for particular VC/WW games. Seeing as we'll only be seeing the channels on the NAND and the game on the HDD, it'll be far more space efficient. Personally, I'd be all for a Majora's Mask Channel that takes up less than 5 blocks on my NAND.

I'm hoping that this new method will allow a broader variety of games to run for the Nintendo 64 engine, however, my realistic side is telling me that compatibility will drop. Probably about 85% of games will run, and every now and again there'll be a dud that just won't.

EDIT:I'll also expect a new generation of fancy GUI loaders too. USB Loader VC/WW GX anyone?

576ZR673tf

I'm very happy with these news but, moreover,

I'M SO LOL

about the numerous guys who were keeping repeating like prophets that this would never be possible.

Where are you guys ???

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Eagle687 said:
I'm very happy with hiese news but, moreover,

I'M SO LOL

about the numerous guys who were keeping repeating like prophets that this would never be possible.

Where are you guys ???
Probably joining the folk who said that DVD copies of Wii games could never be loaded through an un-modchipped system.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am glad to hear that this might be a possibility. But I think I will still use roms and emulators for non N64 games and wiiware. NES roms are generally

lucp4rt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Det1re said:
If I'm correct waninkoko announced that he will not add NTFS support.

im ok with wbfs for loading normal games. if wiiware isnt compatible with wbfs, i hope we can load them from the ntfs partition of the hdd.

B

Bladeforce

i fail to see the point of why this will be "huge" 4.0E already has the ability to load vc/wiiware from sd thats enough I'd have thought. Personally i'd much prefer to see GC backup support in the loader

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
OSW said:
s3phir0th115 said:
WiiCrazy said:
Wow, this means injecting roms into existing vc games will become a piece of cake... what about the saves then? Almost all nand read access should be directed to sd, but games use their content directory to write save stuff too... I hope waninkoko at least make it optional for the saves to be written to sd...

This reminds me that one of my main reasons for not using the virtual console games is due to incompatible saves they generate. If waninkoko made it easy to extract the .srm and maybe even the save state to something that standard emulators use, I would use the virtual console far more often.

Most savegames don't take up much space on the nand, really... I don't care for it. The actual games however are what really matters.

As for virtual console savegames, you can use the FE100 savegame packer/unpacker or wanins savegame manager to extract savegame files from the wii.
I think the N64 savegames are standard EEPROM dumps, and some systems use standard savestates like frodo.

I'm really happy if this feature is true
smile.gif
Once it's released, I'll be waiting for game forwarder channel creator (just like the usb loader individual channels)
biggrin.gif

Finally we can surpass the limits of 512mbyte nand!

Actually, you can extract the sram easily enough by unpacking the save and removing the first 64 bytes from savedata.bin as savedata.bin is just a 64 byte header plus the save file. The problem is that if you try to reverse the process (add the 64 byte header to a .srm or .sav file) it won't work. I am guessing there is a checksum in the 64 byte header but I haven't been able to find it.

D

Deleted member 180466

It's only me or can't I join the IRC? Everytime I've press connect it says: Terminated
What Terminated!? I'm banned from the IRC!?
ohmy.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Eon-Rider said:
Personally, I'm not too excited. I love the pretty pictures of my Virtual Consoles and WiiWare. =)
Forwarders = Pretty pictures + Saving space = More channels!

QUOTE(Bladeforce @ Jun 24 2009, 07:55 PM) i fail to see the point of why this will be "huge" 4.0E already has the ability to load vc/wiiware from sd thats enough I'd have thought. Personally i'd much prefer to see GC backup support in the loader
4.0 simply copies from SD to nand and then launches, so it is slower to start and requres nand writes. On the other hand, this is actually running the games directly from SD which should be faster to load and cooler
smile.gif

sirakain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dunno if it has benn said before, but now on #cIOS channel it's written : [rev14 release: July (last cIOS? never!) | Error 002 ? Use Rev13b OR get a proper loader EG: !neogamma | THIS IS AN ENGLISH SPEAKING CHANNEL, USE IT! channel commands dont work untill slimmmm gets back. | linkinworm is a noob]

rev14 won't be the last cIOS !

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
sirakain said:
Dunno if it has benn said before, but now on #cIOS channel it's written : [rev14 release: July (last cIOS? never!) | Error 002 ? Use Rev13b OR get a proper loader EG: !neogamma | THIS IS AN ENGLISH SPEAKING CHANNEL, USE IT! channel commands dont work untill slimmmm gets back. | linkinworm is a noob]

rev14 won't be the last cIOS !

Good eye.

I'm glad.

I mean, I know someone else would step up and take over his work if he were to leave, but Wanikoko actually seems like a decent guy, unlike other devs in the wii scene who think they are god and have absolutely no social skills..

I'm glad he is sticking around.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
Actually, you can extract the sram easily enough by unpacking the save and removing the first 64 bytes from savedata.bin as savedata.bin is just a 64 byte header plus the save file. The problem is that if you try to reverse the process (add the 64 byte header to a .srm or .sav file) it won't work. I am guessing there is a checksum in the 64 byte header but I haven't been able to find it.

Really? I just thought you could never get any standardized save from it. Thanks for telling me about that.

576ZR673tf

Two more thumbs up for this because it is the ultimate stupideprophets killer thread, finally.

I love it so much.

[ "Nah, it will never be possible, you guys are stupid. Listen. " ]

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone clarify this to me?

Do with the new work in progress, I will be able to download my Wiiware/VC WADS off the internet, Use the WAD manager to install them to my Wii, the move them off the system memory to the SD card, from there have free space on my Wii and load my wiiware off the SD card, not taking up wii memory?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff