vWii keeps shutting off randomly

SassyBassy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've been having this issue for a while where when playing Wii VC injects and GC injects, the system would shut off randomly after 5-15 minutes.

It's definitely not the HDD i'm using as it loads and plays Wii U games just fine, and the system surely isn't overheating for the same reason, maybe the SD card is failing? i don't know anymore, can anyone please help?

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only time I've seen someone with this exact issue, they were using a USB flash drive or else an HDD without a Y cable. If neither of those is your issue, I'm not sure what the culprit could be. But I have some questions that might help with troubleshooting this if no one else knows off the top of their head.

Do you have anything plugged into USB ports besides your HDD? Does this issue only affect your injections or are the official Wii VC titles affected too? Which injector are you using? Which Wii VC titles are you using as injection bases? What settings did you use when creating the injections? What games are you injecting? Are the injected games 1:1 dumps of the discs?

Have you tried moving the injection onto the Wii U NAND and seeing if it runs fine from there?

SassyBassy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh wow, never thought of troubleshooting all of these before, i'll go test and see

1. only the HDD is plugged in

2. i am using a Y-cable

3. official injects are working perfectly fine, i tested Xenoblade, WarioWare Smooth Moves, and Punch-Out

i made the injects with teconmoon's injector, i didn't mess around with the settings at all, just added pictures from the repo + classic controller support for games that use it.

one of the games that don't work is Wii Sports Resort, i noticed it shuts off at a specific point, when the results are shown after Island Flyover. i'll try in the other modes and see when it shuts down.

EDIT: I *think* i know what's causing the issue now, it's picking the "TV + Gamepad" option when launching the game. I launched Wii Sports Resort with the TV only option and all the game modes worked flawlessly. Weird.
Also I believe the issue is faulty cIOS, I remember installing some hombrew thing that would let me use USB controllers as Wiimotes + Nunchucks (which never worked btw lol.) It required installing a beta version of some cIOS which *might* be the reason why the "TV + Gamepad" isn't working so well. I'll also reinstall the proper cIOS and test accordingly.

Last edited by SassyBassy,
Reactions: leejaclane

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm... I'm not sure that cIOS should affect VC injections, since injections shouldn't be loading any cIOS, but I'll confess I'm not an expert. Let us know if that fixes it. If not, at least you have a workaround of still being able to play your injections, albeit without the gamepad, and we'll still have a few more data points from your experimentation.

Just to be clear, when you say TV + Gamepad, you mean both using the gamepad as a second screen and using the gamepad as a controller? If I remember right everything in Wii Sports Resort uses motion, so you couldn't be using the gamepad as a controller for that, but it's still crashing just using it as a screen? Hm...

I forgot to ask before but I should have, what cfw are you using? And if it's Aroma, what plugins are you using? Theoretically when it loads into the injections the cfw and plugins shouldn't be an issue because it's switched to Wii mode while playing those games, but it wouldn't hurt for us to have that information too.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm tempted to rewire my Wii U's USB ports so they share the same + and - for power, and won't need a Y cable. (It will be like having one, just internally.)

SassyBassy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm... I'm not sure that cIOS should affect VC injections, since injections shouldn't be loading any cIOS, but I'll confess I'm not an expert. Let us know if that fixes it. If not, at least you have a workaround of still being able to play your injections, albeit without the gamepad, and we'll still have a few more data points from your experimentation.

Just to be clear, when you say TV + Gamepad, you mean both using the gamepad as a second screen and using the gamepad as a controller? If I remember right everything in Wii Sports Resort uses motion, so you couldn't be using the gamepad as a controller for that, but it's still crashing just using it as a screen? Hm...

I forgot to ask before but I should have, what cfw are you using? And if it's Aroma, what plugins are you using? Theoretically when it loads into the injections the cfw and plugins shouldn't be an issue because it's switched to Wii mode while playing those games, but it wouldn't hurt for us to have that information too.
TV + Gamepad as in both, using the gamepad as a second screen and/or as a controller.

it seems the cIOS doesn't affect it :( GC injections still crash when using the gamepad as a controller, and Wii injections do the same when using the gamepad as a screen or controller. also for some reason, Xenoblade (which used to work just fine) now crashes.

I'm using Aroma, my plugins are:
- Inkay
- re_nfpii
- bloopair
- SwipSwapMe
- Aroma Base Plugin
- Homebrew in Wii U Menu
- Region Free Plugin
- FTPiiU
- Screenshot

Edit: if it helps in any way, i noticed it always happens when the game is trying to load something, like the results screen in WSR or moving to another area in Battle for Bikini Bottom.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The part I'm hung up on is that the gamepad is somehow seemingly the cause of it, even just as a screen. That shouldn't be happening (obviously). I don't see any reason for it to be happening.

I'm out of ideas for now, unless you can think of something that you changed on the console or SD card shortly before this started happening. I'd suggest trying Tiramisu to see if the issue happens there, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't. You could also try a fresh download of Aroma, or a different SD card. Again, I don't know that any of those would fix the issue, but I'm totally out of ideas to suggest trying. Hopefully either you figure it out or someone else can, otherwise I guess the "solution" is just to not use the gamepad with injections.

Good luck though! If I think of something else (besides the above), I'll let you know.

SassyBassy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The part I'm hung up on is that the gamepad is somehow seemingly the cause of it, even just as a screen. That shouldn't be happening (obviously). I don't see any reason for it to be happening.

I'm out of ideas for now, unless you can think of something that you changed on the console or SD card shortly before this started happening. I'd suggest trying Tiramisu to see if the issue happens there, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't. You could also try a fresh download of Aroma, or a different SD card. Again, I don't know that any of those would fix the issue, but I'm totally out of ideas to suggest trying. Hopefully either you figure it out or someone else can, otherwise I guess the "solution" is just to not use the gamepad with injections.

Good luck though! If I think of something else (besides the above), I'll let you know.
One thing that has changed was upgrading the HDD i used from a 250gb one to a 1tb one... but that can't have anything to do with it, right? since the Wii U games and VC injects that don't use vWii aren't affected. But that would make the GamePad theory faulty, maybe a 1tb HDD is using more power than the vWii can allow? Can that even be possible?

I'll try moving some injects into the old drive and testing that, hopefully this works!

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I may have figured out what the issue is. Based on the fact you're using a different HDD, and the fact that it only seems to crash when it needs to load something new after playing for a little bit, and that you're having this issue primarily with Wii VC injects of games that were originally exclusively disc-based, I believe it's your new HDD entering sleep mode. Everything works fine while the HDD is active, it loads the game into memory, and then after some inactivity it goes to sleep. When the game has to load something new, it crashes because the drive is asleep, which is problematic for GameCube and Wii.

Go to the Wii U settings, get into data management, then hold D-Pad Down, Plus/Start, and Minus/Select on the gamepad. The menu for turning sleep mode on or off should appear. Turn sleep mode off. If it says it's already currently off, turn it back on, then repeat the steps to turn it off again. I think this will more than likely fix your issue -- I sure hope so, anyway.

SassyBassy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I may have figured out what the issue is. Based on the fact you're using a different HDD, and the fact that it only seems to crash when it needs to load something new after playing for a little bit, and that you're having this issue primarily with Wii VC injects of games that were originally exclusively disc-based, I believe it's your new HDD entering sleep mode. Everything works fine while the HDD is active, it loads the game into memory, and then after some inactivity it goes to sleep. When the game has to load something new, it crashes because the drive is asleep, which is problematic for GameCube and Wii.

Go to the Wii U settings, get into data management, then hold D-Pad Down, Plus/Start, and Minus/Select on the gamepad. The menu for turning sleep mode on or off should appear. Turn sleep mode off. If it says it's already currently off, turn it back on, then repeat the steps to turn it off again. I think this will more than likely fix your issue -- I sure hope so, anyway.
It was enabled! never even knew this was an option... why would they even hide it.......

this would make sense because when Xenoblade crashed I left the game on the map screen while running an errand, and it crashed when I started moving again. also the games that crash the most are games that load stuff that stays in memory for a long time, which then crash when loading something else.

It's working now, i played 7 rounds of island flyover which used to crash 50% of the time and now it's running perfectly! thank you so so much!

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was enabled! never even knew this was an option... why would they even hide it.......

this would make sense because when Xenoblade crashed I left the game on the map screen while running an errand, and it crashed when I started moving again. also the games that crash the most are games that load stuff that stays in memory for a long time, which then crash when loading something else.

It's working now, i played 7 rounds of island flyover which used to crash 50% of the time and now it's running perfectly! thank you so so much!
Great! I'm glad I was able to help you with it. I was pretty confident that had to be it once you mentioned it was a different HDD, but I didn't want to say so in case I was getting your hopes up and it didn't actually work.

I probably should've thought of the solution sooner, since it just about had to be the HDD causing the problem, but you said it definitely wasn't the HDD so I was trying to figure out what else could be causing the issue instead -- not that it's your fault, of course, you couldn't be expected to know about that hidden setting, which is why I should've asked about it instead of ruling it out. But it's working now and that's what matters. Have fun!

Zrecer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So glad I found this. I was having the same exact issue and it was starting to drive me nuts. I had to re do an entire dungeon in OoT because of it. Tysm. Why tf would this be hidden on the Wii U menu??

Reactions: leejaclane

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...